Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • 3 bikes, + spares and 3 people into a Mondeo estate ?
  • weeksy

Off over to Morzine later in the year with 2 mates and debating our transport options.

Choices are 2 really.
    1. Mondeo estate, bikes and kit inside.
    2. Mondeo saloon, bikes on roof, kit in boot.

Only real downside to the bikes on roof is fuel economy… the saloon is a 1.8 petrol, the estate a 2.0 TDDI.

Question is… will we get 3 bikes, + kit and riders all in the estate ?

bellys
    Free Member

You will if you strip the bikes ie wheels off. Take estate far more room Iv had 4 bikes in my estate with wheels off.

weeksy

Of course, but will we have space for the 3rd person in there ?

bellys
    Free Member

Yes you will get 3 stripped in the boot of an estate might have to drop half of rear seat to fit all your gear in.

igm

We got a Five and an Alpine plus luggage for two into the boot of a Mondeo hatchback with no use of the rear seats at all – suspension compressed, wheels off, bars off.

I would have thought an estate and with two rear seats down would eat it – comfort for the rear passenger might not be high.

Edit – 2007+ shape, not 2000.

weeksy

wasn’t sure if the rear seat split. It would be great if it does 🙂

it’s a 2000 TDDI Ghia if that helps.

kayak23

Yes, yes you will…considering I used to get the same into my Fiesta.

Euro
    Free Member

Take the estate. As bellys said, wheels off will be no bother. Might be a bit tight for space inside depending on how much kit you guys bring, but at least you can lock and leave the car without worrying that something may happen to the bikes.

weeksy

comfort for the rear passenger might not be high.

**** him 😉

phil56

Yes – but you’ll have to pack the bikes the same as if you were putting them in a bike bag (pedals off, bars off and taped to fork leg etc)

bellys
    Free Member

Don’t take bars off just turn them so the bar is level with the top tube. +1 for removing pedals.

bellys
    Free Member

3rd pick down in the link 3bikes and gear and riders in a golf http://www.mbswindon.co.uk/north-wales-mtb-aug-2010/

weeksy

nice 🙂

looks like we’ll be fine then

nedrapier

We do this pretty often in our Mondeo estate:

Big side of the split rear seat down, front wheels and saddles off, bars turned to the side, bikes go in upright, side by side, forks to the front.

plenty of room for everything else. taking pedals off makes it slightly easier to jiffle them in, but it might not save any time overall.

These are 100-120mm hartails. a strap/length of cord from the tie down point, up the hand grab on the roof, round the headtubes, back throught the grab and down helps them keep them steady for the comfort of the person in the back.

got 4 and 4 plus a long weekend’s food and luggage in, but that was slightly less comfy. Bearable for London – Brechfa, though. Specially for me, as I was in the driving seat! 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

bellys – so what was the boat for ? 😯

weeksy – I much prefer driving, much more flexible. If you want a bit of an away from it all outing try lunch at Mont Caly, stunning view and great restaurant with local food in a tiny Hamlet. Return to Les Gets via blue/red/black route.

bellys
    Free Member

Lol sorry not my photo stolen from interweb.

bellys – so what was the boat for ?

water ?

I_Ache
    Free Member

I can get 3 bikes and 3 people into a Focus hatch without too much trouble so I would put money on it being easy in a Mondeo especially an estate.

I have to drop the 60% side of the back seat to do it and the rear passenger doesn’t have much legroom because Im reasonably tall but again it will be better in a Mondeo.

nbt

I’ve done 3 plus bikes and gear in an octavia estate, and the mondeo is significantly bigger. The diesel estate will give you much better MPG than the petrol saloon, especially once you add the bikes on the roof

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I often do 3+3 in a V70, which is pretty much the same size as a Mondeo and it’s fine. OK, a little cramped for passenger in the rear sometimes, but as long as you swap seating around a bit on a long trip you’re fine.

nedrapier

Plenty of room in the back for a passenger on the small seat split in the mondeo. No need for a 6′ driver to put their seat forward for a 6′ passenger, even. With some soft, comfy bags next to the bikes, it can be the best seat in the car, no obligation to chat to the driver, either.

zzzzz…

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Hmmm, this is pretty easy (even in a hatchback).

Take the front wheel off each bike and remove the handlebars. You can then stand the bikes upright in the boot with the fork legs dropped into the passenger footwell.

I’ve got three in like this before and had space for kit and spares and a third person on the back seat (assuming you’ve got a 66:33 split).

And this was three big DH bikes as well…..

Only problem is it kippers rear view out of one side of the car so you do need to be careful.

clubber
    Free Member

I have a current model mondeo hatchback. It’d comfortably fit three people and gear/bikes(wheels off) in without having to put anything on the roof (and hence much better fuel eco). The estate will be easy.

takisawa2

Went to Wales once with four of us in a Mondeo hatch. Two stripped bikes, & all the wheels in the car, two frames/forks on a low rear rack. Wheels can be layered quite nicely actually. Taking seats out, loosening stem bolts makes it easier. Worked well. In an estate you’ll be fine.

honourablegeorge

Did a weekend in wales in a Passat estate, three of us, three bikes in the boot with just the front wheels & saddles off, slide then in standing up, with the rear seat split 60 down, 40 up. No hassle at all, plenty of space.

Scamper
    Free Member

Driven to Morzine in a Mondeo Saloon, 4 up – never seen the point of getting an Estate as the 5dr is huge in itself. Had the 2 bikes on the roof and the in-laws in the back and shit in the boot and thus took 20 times more stuff than a few lads on holiday would.

My 1.8 petrol economy was hit more my the weight, rather than the bikes on the roof, i’d have thought! Also before boarding the ferry, we took the bikes down and strapped them horizontally on the roof to minimise charges.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Ive managed three in my Mk6 Golf Estate..
    Drop the 60 seat, take wheels off bikes slide them in upside down..
    Jobs a good ‘un.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘3 bikes, + spares and 3 people into a Mondeo estate ?’ is closed to new replies.