Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • 3/4 thermal bib tights – suggestions please
  • dawson

I like 3/4 thermal bibs for ‘in-between’ days at this time of year.

My current cheap pair are about worn out. (piu miglia from Start fitness)

Any suggestions around £50?

jimdubleyou

Not thermal (as far as I can tell) but these from PX are pretty comfy and warm enough for me.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLPXP3BK/planet-x-pro-line-365x-3-4-length-bib-shorts

brads
    Free Member

Endura, Polar, Pearl Izumi.

Or buy Castelli and be done with it.

lunge

Personally, I use winter bib shorts and knee warmers, it’s a more flexible combo for me and works well.

sandwicheater

DHB do a set, had them for a few years, been fine.

Bit more than you want to spend, £57 at the mo;

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-classic-thermal-34-bib-tights-1

FOG

Don’t buy the Alpkit version. They are more like long shorts and barely cover the knee to start with and then ride up anyway.
    I bought them to replace some ancient Ground Effect ones that were excellent but currency fluctuations make them an expensive choice these days

trailwagger
    Free Member

+1 for the DHB ones

skink2020

Have the DHB ones got a slightly fleecy pad? I bought a pair some years ago, the sizing and length were excellent but the pad had this fleecy material and by Christ did it chafe.

Superficial
    Free Member

Not thermal (as far as I can tell) but these from PX are pretty comfy and warm enough for me.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLPXP3BK/planet-x-pro-line-365x-3-4-length-bib-shorts

I’m not a big fan of Planet-X, but credit where it’s due, these are AMAZING value. I have two pairs – I bought a second when I realised how much I was wearing them. I must’ve worn them 100 times each over the last couple of years (mainly for commuting).

Basically, they’re windproof so they’re significantly warmer than ‘normal’ (non Roubaix) shorts – I reckon they’re on a par with my full length (Gore) thermal bibs, and I prefer 3/4 for comfort anyway.

They don’t feel as Gucci as Rapha/ Castelli / even DHB but they’re holding up very well (better, even?).

One downside: On both of mine the zip is sewn poorly so it allows it go too far down and after maybe 50 rides, the zipper can come off in your hand. V annoying (not a good look having a gaping crotch-hole). I ran a few lines with a sewing machine across the bottom of the zip and they’re perfect again. If I was buying these again (I might indeed get a 3rd pair) I’d do this prophylactically.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Have the DHB ones got a slightly fleecy pad? I bought a pair some years ago, the sizing and length were excellent but the pad had this fleecy material and by Christ did it chafe.

No.

frankconway
    joebristol

I’m a bit meh about the Planet X ones – perhaps they’re just not the right fit for me. Only done a short ish ride so far on it and the pad was fine on the bike for that. However they fit ok except below the knee where they seem a bit baggy. I was expecting a tight Lycra fit – my calves are fairly big I thought but clearly not enough for these to fit really snug. If I ever get back to commuting (in the winter) I’ll be using these I guess as they’ll at least keep my knees warmer.

dawson

Thanks all for the suggestions.

I had seen the Galibier and also just found Lusso and am tempted to push the budget a little bit..

frankconway

Another reason to, possibly, push the budget…
    https://www.prendas.co.uk/products/santini-punto-3-4-bibtights
    No pics yet on the website.

dawson

Just re-read @Superficial ‘s post and the last line has the best (what I presume) auto-correct I’ve seen for a while. Hopefully it should be ‘proactively’!

mcnultycop

There are some cheaper Galibier ones in their sale section, look less thermal but get good reviews. I love Galibier gear so am tempted myself.

slowoldman

The Galibier are good, better IMO than the Enduras I have, which feel baggy by comparison (i.e. they fail to help “things” neatly in place).

bonzodog
    Free Member

I’m a bit meh about the Planet X ones – perhaps they’re just not the right fit for me. Only done a short ish ride so far on it and the pad was fine on the bike for that. However they fit ok except below the knee where they seem a bit baggy. I was expecting a tight Lycra fit – my calves are fairly big I thought but clearly not enough for these to fit really snug. If I ever get back to commuting (in the winter) I’ll be using these I guess as they’ll at least keep my knees warmer.

I’m with joebristol. My findings exactly. Absolute bargain, but never feel like they really fit well. Find myself adjusting them during a ride an awful lot. I wouldnt buy another pair.

chakaping
    Free Member

I bought some Madison Addict ones and they didn’t look very inspiring, but was very pleasantly surprised when I finally got round to wearing them.

Warm and very water-resistant with a more-comfy-than-it-looks pad.

Possibly replaced by the DTE bib now?
    https://www.google.com/shopping/product/8139832659353499900

akira

I’ve got some Castelli nano flex ones I’ve been using for a few years, nice and warm and the water repellency is pretty useful. Not cheap but worth it.

Superficial
    Free Member

However they [Planet X 365] fit ok except below the knee where they seem a bit baggy.

Mine fit me really well and it’s not like my calf guns are particularly fullsome! The Roubaix material isn’t quite as stretchy as traditional lycra, but equally it wouldn’t surprise my if the QC on P-X products means the cut is variable.

Just re-read @Superficial ‘s post and the last line has the best (what I presume) auto-correct I’ve seen for a while. Hopefully it should be ‘proactively’!

@Dawson
    – Well I’m glad it tickled you, but I did in fact mean prophylactically. Get your mind out of the gutter 😉

boblo
    Free Member

I’ve ordered a pair of those DHB ones so stand by…

alexnharvey
    Free Member

My planetx 365s which just arrived are also quite baggy below the knee. A bit disappointing.

Not sure whether to stick with them given the otherwise positive reviews.

continuity
    Free Member

Honestly after years of trying i just can’t see the need for 3/4’s. They always ride up and bag behind your knee because they can’t be adjusted like knee warmers. They are no warmer than winter bibs and knee warmers, and they aren’t much cooler than full biblongs. Less flexible, less comfortable, offers little in the way of temperature control.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘3/4 thermal bib tights – suggestions please’ is closed to new replies.