Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • 3/4 lycra tights
  • scotroutes

My (by now very worn) Gore 3/4 lycra tights have seen better days and I’m after a replacement. Seems not too many companies are still selling these – most have a bib-tight option but that’s not what I’m after. I have some Endura 3/4 but the legs are still pretty long. The Gores – size Medium – have a 34cm inside leg so come to just below knee length. The Enduras – also size Medium – have a 44cm inside leg. Manufacturers don’t publish these figures and there are few local shops to source/try alternatives. I know that shorts and knee warmers are an option but before I go down that route, does anyone know of/can measure alternatives for me?

Ta.

trailwagger
    Free Member

I used to have some of these and loved them, However nowadays I cant help thinking if its cold enough for 3/4 you may as well go full tight. Whats the benefit of having that small part of shin uncovered?

scotroutes

It’s covering the knees and not shins. And there is a whole season between shorts and full-length (two actually 😉  )

alanl
    Free Member

Ground Effect did some great ones 10 years ago, I see they still have them on their site, but look a different style to what I still own (yep, they are looking a bit worn now, but still usable).
    Ground Effect Montezuma

egb81
    Free Member

My dhb ones are good, though they seem to have bumped the cheapest ones from their offerings.

trailwagger
    Free Member

It’s covering the knees and not shins. And there is a whole season between shorts and full-length

I get what they do… I just don’t see the benefit 5″ of exposed skin between sock and short.

senorj

Morevelo do good winter 3/4 bibs.
    Or at least they did….

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I wear 3/4’s a lot more often than tights, even in winter. I run quite hot so 3/4’s are more comfortable for me. I also have the Ground Effect but the older ones as they just won’t die.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Santini do really nice ones. Madison do some nice ones that aren’t very expensive, and I’ve got some Altura ProShield waterproof ones that are lovely when the weather is grim.

dovebiker

Eddie Van Hooydonck has a lot to answer for! 3/4 tights have long been my favourites – I had a pair of the original Assos ones in purple! For those that question their need, it keeps the cold off the knees – there aren’t many veins down the front of the shin, so as long as you keep your feet warm / dry. As for alternatives? Castelli Sorpasso are superb, but bib variety only.

scotroutes

Thanks for the ideas so far. I’m busy googling but struggling to find some of them – e.g. DHB, Santini, Altura and Madison all draw a blank. To re-iterate, I’m looking for something without a bib.

Tempted by the Ground Effects. I’ve a Submerino jersey that will probably survive the forthcoming apocalypse. I’ll contact them regarding inside leg measurement.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Non bib? Polaris do some, the Three Quartz. Lizzy has had some for years and she says they’re especially good compared to her Sugoi ones. I had some and thought they were OK. Bibs are best though.

scotroutes

Bibs are best though.

Not always. I have 3/4 bibs already.

ultracrepidarian
    Free Member

Shorts + knees for me. More versatile, and if crash and tear up the knees, they’re cheap-ish to replace.

scotroutes

Yeah – and that also gives flexibility about high/low to have them. Might be a good choice.

lardman
    Free Member

Fox do (or did) some, and they’re pretty durable. I have lots of pairs of them.
    Polaris also do some, although they’re more expensive.

lardman
    Free Member
    LAT

7mesh have a sale on. Non-bib thermal 3/4ers were available in all sizes last I looked.

They even supply them with detachable suspenders, though I’m not sure if these are for keeping up the tights or your socks.

w00dster

DHB work a treat for me. Size small, 5 foot 8, 67kgs and 30” leg.
    I’m a brand snob but was given the DHB ones to try out, they’re really good.

alanl
    Free Member

Oh, I’d forgotten I bouight these last year:
    Polaris Trident

£15 when they are in the sale, they are £30 now. They are excellent.

Daffy

Rapha 3/4 are my go-to autumn/winter wear for rides less than 2 hours and temperatures above freezing.

BadlyWiredDog

Thanks for the ideas so far. I’m busy googling but struggling to find some of them – e.g. DHB, Santini, Altura and Madison all draw a blank. To re-iterate, I’m looking for something without a bib.

I hate to say this – I know you mentioned it in your original post – but knee-warmers do the job and have the advantage of being available in different weights, plus if you get WKS – Warm Knee Syndrome – you can always remove them. Mavic and Castelli both work for me, bad experiences with Endura ones going prematurely baggy in the past.

I was going to mention the 7-Mesh ones, but it’s been done. Other than that, there are lots of trail running options around – Montane from memory, I think Mammut do some and others – but the seaming and fabrics may not be optimal for cycling use.

I suspect a lot of the ones you’re drawing a blank on are bibs because people read the title, skim the actual post and then do the STW thing of recommending what they use. Knee-warmers in my case, but at least I bothered to read the post properly 😉

scotroutes

I hate to say this – I know you mentioned it in your original post – but knee-warmers do the job and have the advantage of being available in different weights, plus if you get WKS – Warm Knee Syndrome – you can always remove them.

Yep. Coming to the same conclusion. Much more choice.

antigee

i have some Pearl Izumi 3/4 tights that are a few years old and are excellent both for comfort and coverage – google seems to suggest they are still available

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘3/4 lycra tights’ is closed to new replies.