Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • 2×10 – worth it?
  • PJay
    Free Member

if you’ve got a perfectly usable 3×9 setup?

I’m really enjoying my bike at present and really fancy spending some money on upgrades, the problem is that it’s pretty much how I want it already. I’ve got an XT 3×9 drivetrain that’s working perfectly and have been toying with the idea of going 2×10, but is there really much point? I appreciate that eventually the lack of quality 9 speed components will force my hand but currently I don’t have cash to throw away so am wondering whether it might be better saved for something else later. Will 2×10 really offer me anything over 3×9?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I would say its not worth changing for the sake of it, but I wouldn’t go back to 3 x 9 or buy a bike with 3 x 9.

clubber
    Free Member

having gone to a double and now a 1×10 , of say give 1x a go

jruk
    Free Member

I’ve just gone from 3×9 to 2×9 and haven’t missed the top two gears I’ve ‘lost’. Just stuck a 36t on the front with some shorter bolts, lowered the front mech about 20mm and screwed the upper limiter in and job done.

I’m sure I’ll change to 2×10 at some point but I can’t see the point in ditching perfectly good XT mechs and shifters.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

Don’t worry about 2×10, just do 2×9 with bash ring. RaceFace were doing an Atlas kit of 24/36/Bash for about £80.

seavers
    Free Member

If money is an object do what DiscJockey says and save the £300 plus it will cost you for a whole new chain set for a new bike with the spec you want!

for your ref.. I have gone 3×9 to 3×10 to 2×10. For my riding 2×10 and a chain guide is my sweet spot. It was not a cheap journey though.

jruk
    Free Member

If you don’t want a bash (I didn’t), I used this 36t and the short version of these bolts.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Hijack, i have a sram x0 2 speed shifter and a 2 speed front mech should you go that route

MSP

a 2×10 and a 3×10 with the big ring replace by a bash guard are not the same thing. A 2×10 has a bigger jump between the chainrings.

3×9 22-42-42
    3×10 – 24-32-40
    2×10 – 26-38/28-40

Personally, I like the 24 granny ring that comes with a 3×10 as opposed to the 22 that comes with a 3×9, It saves making a correction change at the rear when you change down at the front. I also like a 11-32 cassettes as I don’t like big jumps between gears, and don’t want to go 11-34/36.

br
    Free Member

Yes, throw your old worthless 3×9 in my direction 🙂

nickc

Did exactly what you’re thinking about. Had the chance to spend whatever I wanted on my bike, so went XTR 2×10 just because I could. Got 40/28 front and 11-36 at the back. Spend 90% of my time in the big ring, and mostly it’s made sod all difference to my riding. Hills are still hills (if you know what I mean) takes a few rides to get used to different ratios. It’s obviously less faffy than 3×9, but it’s not earth shattering

radoggair
    Free Member

1 x 11 is where its at, and with xo1 stuff coming out and undoubtably shimano doinga challenge, i’d do this. Even a 1 x 10 would be ideal, if you could get a 10-36 cassette with a 32 front

nickc

if you could get a 10-36 cassette with a 32 front

and pointlessly spinney…

bristolbikeproject
    Free Member

You might want a shadow plus mech (10 speed only). Though I reckon they are bit over hyped. I fitted one on my 2×9 by using some used sram shifters.

Northwind

Only real benefit of 10-speed in multi-ring setups is the clutch mech IMO

radoggair
    Free Member

if you could get a 10-36 cassette with a 32 front

and pointlessly spinney…

how so? a 32-10 you could get up to 30+mph and a 32-36 could handle all climbs needed

JoeG
    Free Member

If you don’t already have one, buy a dropper seatpost! That will change your riding way more than 2×10.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I don’t see any point in moving from 3x to 2x. The benefit for me in going to 1x was reduction in complexity and gubbins on your handlebar. going to 2x from 3x doesn’t do that. You may as well jump straight to 1x and be done with it. I’ve gone for lower ratios which mean I do miss lower gears on flat tarmac or gentle descents, but I tend to do 90%+ of my riding in the lower gears as it is quite hilly where I am and the descents tend ot be steep enough that you don’t want or need to peddle down, so just use those occasions to relax, coast and enjoy the scenery.

br
    Free Member

and a 32-36 could handle all climbs needed

What? Based on the folk I see on even trail centre climbs (Sunday at Innerleithen XC for example) using their granny rings, I doubt it.

Northwind

wobbliscott – Member

I don’t see any point in moving from 3x to 2x

Better chain retention and ground clearance mainly, and a little less weight for very little loss. Also less likely to get a chainring in the leg, though how often that actually happens I don’t know- it’s grim enough when it does happen to get people’s attention though!

b r – Member

What? Based on the folk I see on even trail centre climbs (Sunday at Innerleithen XC for example) using their granny rings, I doubt it.

Mmm. I use my granny ring on the bikes that have them, but that doesn’t mean I need it. But by and large I agree, 1×10 works fine for me in most circumstances but then I am not averagely bikefit, let alone below averagely fit like 50% of riders. And even then, sometimes it’s not much fun. (people obsess about short steeps, those are fine, it’s long grinds)

1×11’s a step up but I still wouldn’t want to put my brother on a 1×11 bike for a decent sized ride…

cookeaa

The thing is your 9 speed XT is still perfectly good kit but relatively worthless now if you are flogging it on to help fund an “upgrade” to 10 speed, I suggest you just ride it into the ground first and then see what toys are on the market…

Personally I’m going to hang on for at least another year using 2×9 and watch the new stuff coming out, there seem to be staggered development cycles from both big MTB drivetrain manufacturers these days, hoping on any given bandwagon today typically seems to mean that in six months another “newer, better” thing arrives…

So I’ll see how far SRAMs 1×11 kit filters down their range and what sort of freehub compatability it has, as well as seeing what shimano come up with as an answer to that 10-42t cassette…

My feeble legs require slightly more range than a current 1×10 setup would provide and 2×10 ain’t that different from 2×9 really, so I’m sticking until something comes along that really makes me want to twist…

OP – Save for when something really whizzy comes along or if you have to Spend the money look at other posh bits maybe a dropper, fancier forks or some carbon bars?

All IMO of course…

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘2×10 – worth it?’ is closed to new replies.