Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • 2×10 chainline issue or something else….
  • Shackleton

The wife recently bought a Whyte T129-S, loves it to bits but found the 36t chainring a bit on the tall side and was constantly changing from the 36 to 22.

To remedy this I put on a 32t chainring (this caused some major headaches around the use of stupid, POS, zero flexibility, direct mount dérailleurs that wouldn’t mount down far enough for correct shifting on the bodged and cut down shimano ring because SRAM dont make 32t tooth rings for their chainsets, but that is a whole other story of SRAM hate…).

All fine and dandy now, she is much happier with the amount of front shifting she has to do but…..in the 32t ring and 36 cog the chain keeps trying to climb off the inboard side of the 32t ring. With my 2×9 setup (converted triple) I can ride happily in 32×34 without any issues. So it occured to me; should 2×10 double specific setups not be used in big-big because the chainline is crap? Could I solve this by fitting a 3×10 crankset to shift the rings inboard to help with chainline?

Genuinely sick of this 2×10 SRAM drivetrain bollocks now. Bring back 9 speed and band on front mechs! It all just worked, not like these “new and improved” standards…bah humph.

Shackleton

No one? Don’t let my thread die….. I’ll develop abandonment issues…..

dirtydog
    Free Member

Double specific chainset moves the chainline out so there will be more crossover when in the outer and 36 than there is on a triple converted to double.

A cheaper option would be to get her to change down to the granny, I generally avoid using the last 2-3 gears when in the outer ring (converted triple) so as to avoid excessive crossover, but yeah a triple would help by moving the chainline inward

Did you end up fitting the double specific 11 speed Shimano mech?

Shackleton

Yep. Fitted the 11speed double mech and works well, the mech gate sits covering the ring rather than waving ineffectualy above it. Not noticed any rubbing issues so looks like width isn’t an issue and I’m pretty certain it isn’t causing the chain issues…. maybe…..

Davesport

So it occured to me; should 2×10 double specific setups not be used in big-big because the chainline is crap?

I don’t ride my (Shimano) 2 by 10 crossed over in either direction, but it does work fully to both extremes without any rubbing. However the front mech is on a band and it did take some small adjustments to make it so.

D.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Another option would be to fit chain ring spacers and move both rings in 2-3 mmm.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘2×10 chainline issue or something else….’ is closed to new replies.