Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 2×10 and expander ring – anyone running this setup?
  • chedda
    Free Member

Thinking on giving it a go. Oneup components say their 10 speed 40t and 42t expanders will work with 2×10 as well. Running an xt cassette with shadow+ gs (med cage) rear mech on 150mm travel 29er so as far as I can gather my only issue would be chain growth? They do the rad cage for the rear mech too but I haven’t quite worked out if I’d need this as well as the 40/42t expander(+ mid cassette 16t replacement sprocket? Anyone run this setup or shed any light? Would be much appreciated! Love this bike as it storms down hills just getting sick of peddling near 14.5kg’s up north wales hills (and too tight too go 1×11 with 45t expander for now)

ianfitz
    Free Member

I prefer a praxis 11-40 or sunrace 11-42 cassette to an extender. Gaps are more even. Not much difference in price either

mikewsmith
    Free Member

what Chainrings are you running at the moment? You can go something like 24-39 on a double 10sp so if thats not giving you the range it’s going to get really spinny!!
    The bike will still need pedalling it will just go much slower!

breadcrumb

Depending on the size of your granny ring is going to be very spinny.

Surely no one needs that low a gear?

chedda
    Free Member

24/38 front 11-36 rear. Like I hinted at I’m riding a full on enduro rig up steep stuff. Changing bike currently not an option (n love it apart from long climbs so wouldnt want to) so best I can do to make it climb a little better is alter the gearing slightly. Maybe 40t better than 42t then if 42t overkill? Where I live I mostly have long relentless climbs to get to the good stuff n then the slack n long travel 29er thing is just too good to change from. Thanks fr replies by the way

chedda
    Free Member

Cheers ianfitz they may be exactly what I was after and cheaper too! 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Maybe the cheapest option would be to drop the granny to a 22t and see if that works first.
    Having ridden some full on enduro rigs up steep stuff (weighing in 15kg+) might help a little but I don’t think you will see some magic improvement, you may even get down to the sort of speeds where it’s just hard work to keep the bike upright!!

chedda
    Free Member

XT cranks (double) could I drop to 22t granny? Assumed 24t was lowest I could go with shimano?

sofaboy73
    Free Member

I think shimano say you can only have a14T difference between the chain rings

Lester
    Free Member

i run that set up on the bike i go out on in the week. im 16st and 63 and struggle to keep up with my fitter and younger mates on most of the longer climbs.
    sometimes that extra gear is the difference between me getting off and pushing rather than just about making it to the top. after all im out for a bike ride not a bike push.
    when im out on my own, i dont that set up as i try to get fitter without anyone having to wait for me.

docrobster
    Free Member

I’ve got a 22 granny (22/36 SLX double and bash- old 9 speed but works with 10) with a 10 speed 11-36 cassette on my 32lb fs. It’s ridiculously spinny in the lowest gear. I can’t imagine riding a lower gear. As above you’d struggle to maintain forward momentum.
    Going 1×10 or 11 will not give you a lower lowest gear. (45×28 is a smidge higher than 36×22)

coppice
    Free Member

I’m running 24-38 front with a hope 40T t-rex, mainly because i’m to lazy to take the t-rex off. 1x is fine for a trail only bike but I often ride roads to get to/link up trails and theres some steep stuff in the peaks that I like to try and clear.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘2×10 and expander ring – anyone running this setup?’ is closed to new replies.