Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • 2souls Slim Jim (New bike content)
  • Schweiz
    Free Member

Finally got my 2souls Slim Jim built up. Still need to shorten the hydraulic hoses and remove a steerer spacer or two but otherwise it’s ready for action. It’s an XL frame, Reynolds 853, 67.5°HA, 70.4°SA with sliding dropouts.

I’ve been riding a blue pig for most of the winter and it’s an easy transition to the big wheels and slack geometry of the slim jim. It was hard to get a real impression with so much snow on the trails but one thing that was apparant is that it climbs really very well,even with the seat stays set pretty short. It feels really well balanced and surprisingly light (not weighed it yet)

The frame finish and details are lovely. The matt powder finish is really eye-catching and the screw on cable guides are neater than others I’ve seen. I can’t wait for the snow to melt so I can see how it performs in the mountains.

Nice ride this afternoon on the Geissberg in northern Switzerland but there was a surprising amount of snow at the top. Fire road was fun but the trails were very slow going…

tazzymtb

lovely looking bike you lucky bugger!

sambob
    Free Member

Didn’t even realise it was a 29er, really like that.

doof_doof
    Free Member

Those things are a bargain…very close to pushing the buy button myself…

Schweiz
    Free Member

They’re listed on the website with 27.2mm seat tubes but they can ream them out to 30.6mm if you want to run a reverb.

Send them a mail if you are interested. They’re a really nice bunch of guys who have set up this business as a hobby, designing the type of bikes that they want to ride.

doof_doof
    Free Member

They’re listed on the website with 27.2mm seat tubes but they can ream them out to 30.6mm if you want to run a reverb.

Hmmm that makes it even better! Do you know if the price includes delivery? Is your rear Ardent a 2.25? I hear a 2.4 will only work with the sliders further back.

Schweiz
    Free Member

Not sure about the delivery – you’ll have to ask them.

I have a 2.4 on the front and currently a 2.2 on the rear. To be honest, with an XL frame, I think I’d get away with a 2.4 on the rear as well, at least with the sliders in the mid position.

They will revise the chainstay design for the next version to ensure that you can use 2.4s if you were able to wait until the summer.

Clink

How much does the frame weigh?

richen987
    Free Member

That is a very nice bike! Enjoy

bigsi
    Free Member

That is pure filth. Love it 😛

Schweiz
    Free Member

How much does the frame weigh?

The M is 2.7kg, L 2.8kg and I guess the XL is 2.9kg with powder coat and sliders mounted.

Not light but if you want a lightweight XC racer then this isn’t the bike for you.

Schweiz
    Free Member

Quick update on the Slim Jim:

13.2kg on the bathroom scales which is just over 29lbs (XL frame)

Build is:

Fox 34 Talas 140 RLC
    2 x 10 XT
    XT brakes
    XT trail pedals
    Reverb post
    Selle carbonio saddle
    Easton Haven Carbon bar
    Easton Haven 80mm stem
    Sun Black Flag Pro wheelset (probably to be swapped for a set of Charger Pros before I take it to the mountains)
    Maxxis Ardent tyres (2.2 rear, 2.4 front, tubeless with Stans milk)
    ODI lockons
    Free MBUK chainstay protector!

When pointed down, it’s extremely stable and confidence inspiring. I have cleared two local sections of trail that I never mangaged on a 180mm FS bike.

Very nice climbing position and great traction. I’m ver pleased with it and I think that 2soulscycles will be a brand to watch for the future.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Thats really nice! Great spec too.

Clink

Hhmm. Seriously considering one of these but worried it’s too much bike for me. The alternatives are a Yelli Screamy or Honzo. Don’t suppose you have ridden either of those to compare?

brant
    Free Member

Hhmm. Seriously considering one of these but worried it’s too much bike for me. The alternatives are a Yelli Screamy or Honzo. Don’t suppose you have ridden either of those to compare?

I have something in progress.

Clink

😆 You always do!

When will it be available though??

Clink

Presume it’s this?

cynic-al
    Free Member

blimey…ream a 27.2 seat tube out to 30.6?

While that would explain 2..8kg, I suspect it’s not quite correct…

brant
    Free Member

Presume it’s this?

No – that’s something else. Though… yes that would work too.

Clink

No – that’s something else. Though… yes that would work too.

eurospek
    Free Member

How tall are you? How’s the fit of the frame?

Looks great!!!

crimargia
    Free Member

Good Morning @ all!

@Schweiz:

Lovely built bike! The team of 2Souls wish happy trails to you! I hope, we will meet us again at the E.H.B.E. show end of march!?

@all: when you do have questions, I would be pleased, when you´ll contact me: md@2soulscycles.com

m

crimargia
    Free Member

Hi! Sorry about my bad english. It´s a real shame.

Here´s my own SlimJim with Rohloff, size “L”

Leather sleeve mounting and cable routing where improvised for the photo. Sorry about the studio photos, but as a photographer I am as bad as my english. Actual I use a 50mm Straitline, a 350mm masterpiece (I am lucky, I have short legs)and for blingbling, a KingCage, which looks quite well on this bike.

m

bullheart
    Free Member

I’m sure you do. But chances are your QC won’t be as good, your timetable will differ wildly from what you claim it to be, and it just won’t be as nice.

doof_doof
    Free Member

Fantastic looking bike crimargia, I love the details on the frame. The leather sleeve is cool in a perverse kind of way.

I don’t *need* a Slimjim, but I really really want one!

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Bet that weighs a ton with a Rohloff 😯

crimargia
    Free Member

@bigdugsbaws: like I do, so it doesn’t matter.

m

krull
    Free Member

Some more snow pics with greetings from Austria:

Now the snow is gone in the Vienna region, and my SlimJim (medium) found his bigger brother (XL):

The bike offers an unbelievably great downhill performance. I’m stoked und surprised after every ride. The flat head angle, the big tires and the super short chainstays result in a very stable handling when riding at high speed and at the same time a very agile handling when riding an slower narrow singletracks. I know this sounds like a paradox and if you don’t believe it try to get one for a test-ride. 🙂

bonchance
    Free Member

Pleased you like it. I agree it does sound like a paradox..

What did you ride before?

Schweiz
    Free Member

For me the paradox is that it still climbs well with such a slack seat and head angle. I think I’m lucky that the XL frame fits me like a glove. (191cm, 6’3″ shortish legs!)

I’m struggling to find much wrong with this frame at the moment. On the positive side, it’s hard to fault downhill, feels nimble and rolls fast on rooty trails and is a comfortable (if not lightening fast) climber. I did 1400m, 4000ft of climbing on it last Sunday and it was a pleasure. The looks and finishing of the frame are great. You won’t see another one on the trails and your buying experience will be perfect thanks to the 2souls team.

On the downside, if you’ve got big feet then your heels will rub the chainstays. I never noticed it while riding but I’ve worn a spot of powder coat away.

Other current mtbs (gathering dust in the garage): Ragley Blue Pig(150mm HT), Canyon Spectral AX9 (carbon 120mm FS), Canyon Torque Alpinist (180mm FS)

krull
    Free Member

@bonchance: I’m currently riding a Haro Mary Singlespeed. The SlimJim replaced my trusty Santa Cruz Blur 4X (140mm Pike in the front). Beside that I’ve ridden several bikes.

In autumn I took some test rides on the prototype frame (unfortunately a Large framesize). In course of that we made a short video of an after-work ride:
    [video]http://vimeo.com/27601062[/video]

lank45
    Free Member

Schweiz I’m currently working out of Switzerland. Any chance you could drop me a mail to advise on where to ride? ben.helliwell AT uk.nestle.com

Schweiz
    Free Member

Ben, OK mail on the way. I guess you are over the Röstigraben in Vevey so I don’t know how much I can help but I’m sure I can point you in the right direction.

crimargia
    Free Member

springtime! 😀

Clink

Just built, still tweaking to do

[/img]

RDL-82
    Free Member

Liking these…another bike to add to the ever growing list of possibilities 🙂

doof_doof
    Free Member

Excellent choise Clink, is that a medium? Where abouts in the country are you, I’d love to have a nosey at one of these.

Clink

Excellent choise Clink, is that a medium? Where abouts in the country are you, I’d love to have a nosey at one of these.

Yep medium. I’m in Somerset if that helps?

tazzymtb

jeebus clink, have you replaced the fisher and the nimble already 😯

Clink

not quite 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘2souls Slim Jim (New bike content)’ is closed to new replies.