Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 2nd hand PS3 console – are they reliable – or should i go NEW?
  • roady_tony
    Free Member

On the lookout for a ps3 slim, heard some horror stories of ebay/ps3 purchases of dodgy drives, intermittent issues and CashGenerator dont seem to offer much security if things go wrong…
    so i thought about getting it from GAME and adding on the warranty, but they seem a bit pricey compared to NEW prices at the moment.

Are PS3’s reliable? or is it worth getting new/old+warranty to ensure someone isnt dissapointed christmas day! 😉

Thanks for any advice…

jon1973
    Free Member

Never had an issue with my PS3 slim, and it’s a few years old now. It’s used most days either to play games or DVDs. I don’t know anyone who has had issues. You can never be 100% with second hand stuff though.

simon_g

The slim seems to be holding up OK. The price drop on new doesn’t seem to have had a massive effect on s/h prices though – given you can get a new 160GB for about £170, and there tend to be bundle deals if you want games too.

xiphon
    Free Member

An equal amount of people will say they fail/are fine.

FWIW I bought my xbox 360 (I know, totally different hardware – but same situation) back in summer 2009, from a ‘cash convertor shop’ and it’s been flawless.

BUT (and there is a but) there were different revisions of the console, so I checked the console before buying it to make sure it wasn’t a 1st generation (which suffered from the Red Ring of Death).

Do PS3’s have different revision numbers?

Cougar

Is there a potential issue with them being blacklisted from PSN due to being chipped?

roady_tony
    Free Member

ohhhh yeah cougar – thats right there was something on that, isnt it that you cannot use Sony’s online network at all with a chipped PS3!
    hmm might explain some really cheap ones on gumtree.

cb

Get new and buy it now – look on hotdealsuk and there are bundles on there that make the console similar prices to the cost Sony levies on refurbs. Mine broke by the way!! It froze after an update from Sony and hundreds of people had the same issue (online forums were awash with the problem).

It took a LOT of discussion / arguing with Sony to get anything out of them but they did do the right thing in the end and provided a free refurb machine (which looks like new). Sony originally wanted 135 quid for a replacement refurb with 3 months warranty!!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

cb – do you mean this site? http://www.hotukdeals.com/

I am looking at upgrading my noisy 60gb fat model for a quieter new one and trying to find a good price at the moment.

cb

MF – that’s the site yeah. Various links to deals come up on there. Do a quick search and you’ll find some incredible ones. I think Sainsburys are doing 25% consoles at the moment as well – or they were went I last went shopping.

These deals were not around when mine went bang!!

Gary_M
    Free Member

My sons PS3 broke the other day now has the ‘yellow light of doom’, it’s not a slim btw. Tried all the quick fixes but looks like somethings burnt out on the motherboard.

roady_tony
    Free Member

seems ARGOS has the best deal at the mo on new bundles

PS3 320gb + karate kid bluray (!) + PS MOVE + FIFA 12 + 2 GAMES from a certain selection (out of which i’d choose GT5 and Dirt2 !!!) for 249quid!

i guess i could sell the bluray, and fifa12 off on ebay…?

whens that Star Wars game coming out of the Move 😉
    WWWWWWWWWWWWHHHHHHHHOMMMMMMMMMMMM
    WHOOOOOOOOM
    WHOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
    Now i am the master!!!!!!!
    PSHHHHHHHHHHHHFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFKKKKKKKKKKKK
    WHOOOOOOOM
    WHOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘2nd hand PS3 console – are they reliable – or should i go NEW?’ is closed to new replies.