Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • £2K Big mountain basher options
  • tomaso
    Free Member

Pedal up bash down and press along on something slack with about 160mm – options…

I’d like Pikes and a Reverb as well but these can be swapped and changed.

Top of the pile is –

This is interesting but it may be too much of a Euro-colourway thang for me, it may be ok dipped in bog muck

Not just double Deutsche, triple Deutsche

This looks sweet too

These are cheap on CRC in old school 26 inch flavour

I’d want to swap the forks out on the Strive, Spectral and Mega for Pikes buts its doable.

Interested in Spesh Enduro 29er or On One Codeine

But its the YT that shouts the loudest.

slowrider
    Free Member

Spoilt for choice there mate, half the fun is in the choosing!

tomaso
    Free Member

But they are all so shiny

nickdavies

That YT is great spec but I’d find it hard to love looking like that!
    Wouldn’t go for the strive personally – they need the beefier rockshox shock and even that struggles I need to get mine tweaked, plus the higher up ranges are a lot better kitted out for the money but they’ve all sold out. Spectral looks great, but i’d be hanging on and seeing what Canyon are about to release to replace the Strive with:

http://www.canyon.com/_en/specials/shapeyourride/

rockohardpack
    Free Member

I was in the same situation as you, up until 2 nights ago. I was considering the Commencal Meta SX, the Nukeproof Mega AM from CRC, as well as the Cube Fritzz 160, and the yeti sb66. The Cube is an awesome bike it seems, It was just too short in the top tube for me. even the XL was like 24″, with a 22 inch seat post it just looked wierd.

What turned me off about the Nukeproof, was that it only has a 2-year warranty. I just cant be apart of that, as much as Id like to. I heard they ride spot on though, and If nukeproof had an extended 5 year warranty, Id be all over it. Hands down.

Yeti SB66 was just too common around my parts in the Rockies, So I went with the Commencal SX.

Im pretty stoked, but the frame was $1700(1000 Pounds) alone, and it cannot fit a piggy back unless you upgrade another 500 for a new chainstay. Why didnt Commencal just put that on for 2014, It was available??? Whatever Its so pink Im like oblivious to all else, I love it. and it doesnt bother me as much since I have a true DH rig and I need a 14.5 Kilo Freeride AM bike, but it may bother others who need it as a do it all bike.

Id go with the Nukeproof if you dont mind the 2 year warranty.

If your shorter than 6 feet tall, its safe go with the cube or the canyon, idk about the YT bike.

Alex

Some very nice bikes there. I built my NukeProof Mega AM up after picking a 26inch version cheap from CRC for about £750. I bought it for the alps really, but it’s actually been a really fun trail bike. Probably weighs about 32lbs but climbs well enough and is fantastic pointed the other way. I think this build cost me just over 2k – everything new except the Deville’s.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/nduhDa]Mega[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

tomaso
    Free Member

I like the Meta SX but its more than I want to spend and it still needs upgrades – especially the wheels.
    A Mega frame would work but I am seduced by the idea of a new bike.

rockohardpack
    Free Member

Then go with the cube. Just double check the sizing.

rockohardpack
    Free Member

yippeekiyay
    Free Member

The YT or Saracen Ariel 151

tomaso
    Free Member

Overlooked the Saracen, its only been 22 years since my Killi Flyer.

Confusing me further is buying a secondhand Enduro and swapping my still not obsolete 26inch kit over and buying some Pikes. Sell the rest of the bits and buy something more XC like a Parkwood, Anthem or Vitus 29er cheap…

tymbian
    Free Member

Is there a point to the Wicked now that they make the Capra? .5 on the HA. and 5mm difference on the BBC.

AlexSimon

Price tybian

grum
    Free Member

It’s a good thing those YT bikes have such awful paint jobs or I’d probably be in quite a lot of trouble with my wife. The Saracen is only marginally better TBF.

tomaso
    Free Member

I quite like the YT Wicked paint job and I can’t afford the Capra. I’m not keen on carbon either for clumsily riding rocky trails.

The Codeine would work four me but those 11 speed cassettes £!£!. A cheaper group with a Hope T Rex might do it..

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

Tom
    I have a lightly used yt wicked 26″ which might be of interest?
    It’s a large and would be within budget.
    I’m in Preston if you fancy taking a look?
    Richard

feckinlovebbq
    Free Member

tomaso
    Free Member

Watch a got Tricky Dicky and how much?

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

Do you want to email me via profile?
    Richard

rj
    Free Member

I tried out a Saracen 152 at the demo day at Glentress a couple of weeks ago. Without doubt, one of the quickest, most fun bikes I’ve ridden. Rode a SC Butcher and Blur Tr along with a Trek Carbon Remedy and the Saracen was easily the best.

tymbian
    Free Member

@ tomaso…The Codeine are £2.5k AFAIK.

tomaso
    Free Member

Thanks tymbian but that is more than I’ve got/want to spend.

tymbian
    Free Member

How tall are you?

sangobegger
    Free Member

Oh my soon to be new job has invigorated my passion to spend on a new long travel monster for bashing round Torridon

tomaso
    Free Member

Tymbian I’m 186cm or 6’2″

I might wait and see what the new canyon Strive looks like

maico
    Free Member

The new Strive seems to fit the Canyon design trend started last year.
    The team issue looks to have a carbon front frame and some sort of funky shock linkage.

tomaso
    Free Member

Looks similar to Spectral but with a 160mm linkage/rocker and less of a pronounced Mondraker-esque hump in the top tube. A mate just got the last Strive Race with the Pikes and RS shock and it look and feels superb. Its certainly not slowing him down.
    Its only 9 days according to Canyon’s #shapemyride website that is counting down to the launch of the new Strive.

rooster42
    Free Member
    tomaso
    Free Member

No I can’t its too much money!

Its a Wicked, Fritzz, Uncle Jimbo or just wait until after summer and see what happens in the sales as 2015 bikes come out…

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I still haven’t had a go on a Codeine yet, but if it is as good as it looks then I would build one of those up.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘£2K Big mountain basher options’ is closed to new replies.