• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • 29×3 Surly Dirt Wizard – mini review compared to some other tires
  • big_scot_nanny

Thought I’d chuck this down after a few proper rides, might be useful for some folks bearing in mind the 29plus questions popping up.

In full slop and snow, ride ICT with Clownshoes and Bud/Lou tubeless (fattystripper) – insane grip, unstoppable, insanely slow 🙂

In summer and dust, ride ICT with Stans Hugos and Maxxis Chronicles tubeless – these are fast as heck, but extremely pressure sensitive to get balance of supple/support, and found them very/quite easy to bash rims and get snakebites. Also hilariously bad in any kind of mud.

Was a bit depressed to go back to full fat for winter conditions, so thought I’d try 29×3 120tpi Dirt Wizards on the Hugo rims. Getting them to seat tubeless for the first time required a quick trip to the local garage for a blast of compressed air. Bead was really folded over in the packaging. Left overnight at 30psi and now they are easy to seat (using high volume track pump and with core out) and have held at 14psi front, 18psi rear for a few days and rides with no problems (using stans race sealant).

On the trail, they are of course significantly more grippy in the slop than Chronicles, also better than hans dampf or magic mary’s. Of course not as good as bud/lou, but really a great deal of grip and quite gentle breakaway when it happens. In dry conditions they seem only a wee bit slower than chronicles.

But most interestingly, they ‘feel’ a lot better over roots/rocks/rim dinging stuff. Especially on the rear, feels almost as supple and grippy as a Lou. A very weird feeling, in a surprisingly good way, for only a 3″ tire. I have now stopped checking, but first few rides had me stopping as I assumed it was losing air, as well as tensing up going hard into chunky stuff waiting for ‘WHANG’ and ‘hisssss’. Never happened though.

Supple, supportive, grippy in bad conditions, plenty fast – I like.

YMMV 🙂

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

The topic ‘29×3 Surly Dirt Wizard – mini review compared to some other tires’ is closed to new replies.