Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 29X2.4" tyres
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

I want to fit the biggest tyre possible into my Fortitude. I’ve been running 2.3″ Spesh Purgatory/Butcher combo happily, but want a slightly fatter and less-knobbly tyre for the impending summer….

Tried out some 2.4″ Conti X-Kings over the weekend and they were just the ticket, but being non-tubeless-ready version, they struggled to seal with my taped rims (which the Spesh tyres were fine on)

So I do stump up the cash for tubeless-ready X-Kings, or is there something else worth considering?

akira

Was going to say on one chunky monkey but probably a bit knobblier than youre looking for.

amplebrew

Maxxis Ikon 2.35 ‘TR EXO’s’ might be worth a look.

kimbers

chunk monkey for me!

mintimperial

I’m running a 2.4″ TLR X-King on the front at the moment. Cracking tyre, I’m very impressed.

thetallman
    Free Member

Maxxis Ardents work well for me and are very close to being an actual 2.4″

The casing on mine is a hair over 59mm, on a Flox EX rim.

Kahurangi

The maxis Advantage/Ardent casing comes up much bigger than their HR/Minion/ST casing. Is the Aspen also as big?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Yeah, Chunky Monkeys (and Ardents) overkill for what I want – I’ve got the Spesh Butcher for loose rough stuff. I want a fast rolling tyre for stuff like the Yorkshire Dales 300.
    Tempted by the Bonty XR3 (I’m a big fan of the XR4) but its ‘only’ 2.3″ and I want to maximise my volume. 300km on a heavy rigid bike is going to be a handful.

Ikon looks good. Pricey though (but what tyres aren’t?)

Yak

Bonty 29-3 in a 2.3 will be bigger than a 2.4 x king fwiw.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Found some bargain tubeless-ready X-Kings at one of the German shops. Sorted!

BillOddie

Good choice! The X-King tread pattern is a good compromise for big long rides!

john_l
    Free Member

Bonty 29-2 is a 2.35 I think. Got one in the back of my Jones – bigger volume than the 29-3 & definitely bigger than the Butcher. I’ve been rotating all 3, plus an Ardent 2.4 & a Chunky Monkey.

29-2 is light as well, but wears quickly.

oldboy
    Free Member

+1 for the Fortitude, OP.

molgrips
    Free Member

but being non-tubeless-ready version, they struggled to seal with my taped rims

They will seal eventually mind.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

They did seal eventually by pumping them rock hard, which made the track past Gregs Hut a bit of a pinball adventure!

ianfitz
    Free Member

I’ve got xking 2.4s on one bike but a 2.35 hans dampf is way bigger

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘29X2.4" tyres’ is closed to new replies.