Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • 29'rs any more than just the one benefit ?
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

I’m on my 3rd 29er now, started with a cheap build (Chimba HX2), moved onto a Kinesis FF29 and also an Anthem X1.

The anthem replaced a very sorted Nicolai Helius CC in 130mm travel / 26″ flavor and without a doubt it’s faster and more fun to ride for the way I ride, infact I sold the FF as it just wasn’t getting used.

The less nimble thing is rubbish too, the anthem is a long bike but I don’t have any issues in woodsy single track or anything else to be fair, you may have to ‘hustle’ it a bit more but that just makes it fun

adsh
    Free Member

I put too much money into 26″ kit so can’t change without too big a hit. Also I like to be able to excuse my poor performance on riding 26″.

bikeind
    Free Member

The 29er has been a revelation In off road riding and fit for all purpose riding the large wheels feel great underneath you whilst riding any kind of trail makes everything feel so much better than before
    Most certainly not just for one thing huh

The 650b whilst a tad smaller will sort the downhill and more extreme riding out for the future for us

epicyclo

plus one – Member
    I’m genuinely looking at possibly new bike purchase…

You going to race it? Then take advice from the race whippets.

Just for fun? Then the expert is you. Try a demo or two.

fizzicist
    Free Member

I have a nice mtb toy box to choose from:

Yeti 575
    Cotic soul

I bought a Cube Reaction GTC 29er in April. I prefer it to both. Regardless of the nimbleness etc, it just feels more natural, fun and goes like the clappers and copes perfectly with 95% of my riding.

JCL
    Free Member

Comparing the best trail bike examples of each.

26″ – Unstable without slack HA, doesn’t climb well on steep tech unless quite steep ST angle, manuals easy, stiff wheels, easy to get perfect position (low bars etc), nimble and fun but gets out of control sooner, light weight.

29″ – Stable, longer wheelbase (plus and minus points), more climbing grip/ability (longer rear centre), more difficult to manual, more effort (ability?) required to maneuver, boring at low speeds but ultimately more control at higher speeds (wheelbase/BB drop), noticeably less energy required (contact friction/tyre deformation), wheel flex unless expensive CF options used, better suspension performance for similar travel (roll centre).

Latter is faster no doubt in my mind. Former is probably more fun especially at lower speeds.

theupsetter
    Free Member

Bollocks

Rorschach
    Free Member

Exploding wheels.

mudsux
    Free Member

I’ve only just got a 29er. And I usually ride small (16in) 26ers.
    Negatively compared to a 26er
    – Heavier in the wheels and frame.
    Acceleration is a tad slower.
    – Steering not as direct or nimble
    – Highish front end but it is not felt in a bad way
    bars are about level for my 29er with 80mm travel. Longer forks more commonly found are 100mm and I’m not too sure how I would like the front to be any higher.

Positives are
    – Grip. Loads of it.
    – Descending is quick. Once it is up to speed it maintains it far more than a 26er over even marginally challenging terrain.
    – Ascending – it rolls over and up. What it loses in weight penalty and acceleration it gains in momentum, grip and line choice.

I haven’t tried it through twisty singletrack but I am fearing the bars will be clipping the trees and vague-er steering may make it more of a handful …. but we will see.

JoeG
    Free Member

27.5!!! All of the advantages of both 26″ and 29″ wheels; none of the disadvantages of either!!!* 8)

*This may be total BS!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

JoeG – Member
    27.5!!! All of the advantages of both 26″ and 29″ wheels; none of the disadvantages of either!!!*

*This may[b]IS[/b] be total BS!
    FIFY

try before you buy

Euro
    Free Member

I’ve not ridden one but i’ve read the internet, so…

Pros: Bigger wheels equals larger wheels
    Cons: Larger wheels equals bigger wheels

p.s. i’d love to see how fast some posters ride if they find 26 unstable at speed (and if you mention head angle you’ll get a slap!)

asterix
    Free Member

Well I can see this thread has reached the usual crap standards of wheel size threads – does JLC really believe what he writes?

plus-one

Reading the informed information on this thread and the piss taking(fully expected and encouraged) I’m going to keep my 26’r and bling it up a bit 🙂

kayak23

If the new thing was rainbow coloured bikes, instead of 29″ wheels there’d be just as many evangelists saying that rainbow coloured rides better, rainbow coloured grips better, rainbow coloured is faster etc etc…

The fact is, when you buy or try a new bike, nine times out of ten you will perceive that it is better than what you had before. This is true of bikes, cars, DVD players, lovers….whatever.
    New bikes reinvigorate you and consequently you perceive yourself to be riding better.
    Hence the incessant and unnecessary upgrades to our bikes most of us succumb to.

Get a new bike. You’ll love it, it’ll have more grip, it’ll probably climb 34.9% better than your old one, it’ll be faster on those gnarly fireroads, it will accelerate better, it’ll be more stable at speed… yada yada….

Sorry.. 😕

ahwiles
    Free Member

Get a new bike. You’ll love it, it’ll have more grip, it’ll probably climb 34.9% better than your old one, it’ll be faster on those gnarly fireroads, it will accelerate better, it’ll be more stable at speed… yada yada….

probably true, but, if it’s a 26er, it’ll look rubbish.

(unless you’re a short-arse)

epicyclo

clubber – Member
    Rubbish.
    36″ FTW

I’d love a go on one of those.

Anyone sell frames? My weird bike collection is needing company…

smell_it
    Free Member

After moving to 29’ers I now find everytime I go back to a 26’er I end up riding it into a childs face.

corsair
    Free Member

and if you mention head angle you’ll get a slap!

Steep’s out – slap head angles are all the rage now.

rainbow coloured grips better

I fitted rainbow coloured grips and instantly knocked 20% off my Strava times. I think it’s because they really make the handlebars come alive.

cookeaa

I follow these simple rules with buying a bike.
    Try it, Like it, buy it
    or
    Try it, don’t like, didn’t buy it.

Pretty much summed it up.

If your research is limited to what the internetz thinks, then you are unlikely to be happy with the final choice.

The only real way to know what suits you is trying. Book a demo or two.

There’s no such thing as a “perfect” bike, there are bikes that will suit your needs, ignore wheel sizes and focus on how it is when ridden.

roverpig

probably true, but, if it’s a 26er, it’ll look rubbish.

It’s funny how what looks good gets conditioned by what you are used to.

I was on holiday on Mull over the summer. As I was out walking with the kids I saw a guy about my height (6′) riding a 26″ MTB. Having ridden exclusively 29ers for the previous six months, my first though was “gosh don’t those wheels look small”. Sort of out of proportion. Then I noticed the way the bike was moving. He wasn’t doing anything special, just cruising along the trail as you do; popping off the odd rock and hopping over the odd puddle. But it made me realise that, in my quest to find a faster MTB I’d lost sight of the reason why I ride round in circles in the wood in the first place.

I still have my 29er HT in case I ever go on a ride where I care about how fast I’m going uphill or along the flat. But it’s great being back on a 26″ full suss, even if it does look rubbish 🙂

slimjim78
    Free Member

Subtract 29 from 26, take that number and multiply it by the average gradient of your favourite climb and divide that number by the average gradient of your favourite local decent. Add one for luck and you are left with your optimum wheel size.

57% of the time this works all the time.

stevechiv
    Free Member

Ride long distance XC most of time. Had 26″ Cube acid Hartdtail loved that bike. Moved up to Anthem 29″,lovley bike but massive change in gearing. Have put a 22 granny ring on to help compensate. 26″is more fun especially on hills. 29″ smoother. As a note people say 29″ faster, did a 70 mile event the other day. Only 10 mins faster then my old 26″? love the anthem, miss the acid.

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘29'rs any more than just the one benefit ?’ is closed to new replies.