Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • 29ers…. who has the lightest ? and what ratio's do people use
  • rootes1

Bruce,

<<i was looking to get under 20….for an xl
    for under 3000 and i reckon i will easy>>

perhaps a
    Scott Scale 29er?

http://www.birkenheadcycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b3s346p1506&rs=gb

£2100 then spend £900 on bits/mods?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

You’re wrong actually – I did have a pretty light bike back in the 90s – never had a problem with it. Well not before the frame snapped, anyway

Sounds about right. 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

The frame was probably the least lightweight part of it, mind…

coopersport1
    Free Member

I’ve just ordered a 29er Scale Pro in large approx 23.5lb stock. Will be having complete 2×10 xtr group, pro2 +29er crest wheels and some carbon finishing kit all in about £2600 and hoping to get towards the 20lb mark

cynic-al
    Free Member

OP if you are serious about results spend money and time on training!

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Niner Air 9 with carbon fork, 20.35lbs and much faster than I am.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Something to aim for…

http://fairwheelbikes.com/cycling-blog/custom-bikes/titus-di2-project-29er.html

16lb, with gears and suspension.

Nezbo
    Free Member

I’m very tempted by a Scott Scale 29 RC or a S-Works Epic 29er for next years racing…

At the mo the scott is winning it for me at around 20lbs 🙂

robkhoo
    Free Member

21 lbs for my Felt (without crudcatcher and a coating of mud). Could probably save a bit more with some lighter rims and brakes and a fancy saddle, but it’s light enough for me as it is.

My bike by robkhoo, on Flickr

epicyclo

JohnClimber, how wide is that Niner fork? Can you stick a Pugsley wheel in there?

Nice bike btw. I suppose they didn’t have anything greener?

JohnClimber
    Free Member

epicyclo – Member
    JohnClimber, how wide is that Niner fork? Can you stick a Pugsley wheel in there?

There’s enough mud clearance for 2.2(ish) tyres but no an Endomorph or Larry couldn’t fit in there.

clubber
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    OP if you are serious about results spend money and time on training!

Nah, it’s much easier to spend money on bike stuff 😉

The-milkybar-kid
    Free Member

On one carbon 22.5 lbs with some old xt on i think i need to lower the seatpost a bit.

Clink

Very nice milkybar! Is it a sample?

The-milkybar-kid
    Free Member

Hi yeh 1st ride 2 moz round thetford.

Sam

This was around 16lbs.

numplumz
    Free Member

Blimy Nige, getting seriously light now. Getting serious again then?

The-milkybar-kid
    Free Member

Got a carbon lefty sl/new crest wheels & some xtr for it for next year so hopefully it will be around the 20-21 lb mark,still only doing 1-2 rides a week so not 2 serious done 85miles training in the last month just want you need for the thetford 4 hour races.

bikerbruce
    Free Member

think i have found a good plan for a build now guys thanks for help…

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Haro Mary XC with an Alfine wheelset and mostly stock set-up, save for an i-beam layback saddle and seatpost. Shudder to think what it weighs. Lifting it over stiles pushes me perilously close to hernia territory.

But then I’m a stone overweight. When I lose that I can start blaming the bike for my glacial speed while I’m on it.

SSBonty
    Free Member

Almost certainly this guy:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=656281

13lbs (well 13lb15oz but still!) and from the photos it gets properly ridden – he’s not the lightest guy and he’s hitting some decent jumps. Oh and he runs a 22:11 ration IIRC!

coopersport1
    Free Member

I now have my Scott Scale 29er Pro (large frame), upgraded with the following
    Full XTR drive, 30/42 up front,11-36 at the rear
    Hope mono mini pro brakes 183/160
    Wheels Hope pro 2 hubs Crest 29er rims Rocket rons (run tubeless)

Stock weight was 24lb on the nose
    Now weighs 22.14lb and I’ve yet to fit carbon seat post and bars and change the saddle. Both those weights are without pedals!

That is very very close to the weight of the Scale 29er RC which costs £2800 more than the Pro! The upgrades didn’t cost me that much!

SSBonty
    Free Member

That was ratio not ration obviously… Nice work cooper, the top of the line models in lots of the ‘big’ or biggish companies seem way worse than the midrange ones at the moment… How much did yours cost in total in the end?

coopersport1
    Free Member

It was about £2800, but still have the old wheelset and brakes to sell so all in about £2500 once that’s gone, I did get a very good deal on my upgrades though! That’s selling off the old drive train at RRP 😉 and exchanging it for/paying the difference for the xtr.

bikerbruce
    Free Member

cooper can you post pics of your bike? sounds good build to me..

coopersport1
    Free Member

There you go, I was never aiming to go superlight as I’m no lightweight myself but think this is a very usable spec for xc/marathon use. I only went xtr as I wanted to run a proper double up front and have never been a sram person. Could go lighter easily but Pro2 hubs are so bomb proof I won’t ride anything else, and have only specced an xt chain and cassette, may go xtr in the future once I’ve paid for this this lot! Still waiting on the EC70(wide) carbon bars, Gobi saddle and xtr pedals so reckon complete bike should be a whisper over 22lb. Oh and the USE stem is slightly heavier than the stock Scott on 😳 but it looks good so it’s staying! And yes I know I’d save another 5g by shortening the front brake line!

sturider

sturider

My TD1. running Crossmark and tubeless now which has brought the weight down to 24.4lbs. A great ride.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

That scale 29er pro is one of the sleeper bikes of the year! £2100 for the whole bike, the frame is £1500 on it’s own! You’ve done the same as me although I’ve gone SRAM and single ring on front with x2 race brakes. 21lb in xl. Should knock a bit more off yet as like you I’m waiting for some light wide bars and a carbon post.

rOcKeTdOg

it doesn’t weigh 16lbs now Sam 😉

Pegasus Ass shot by rOcKeTdOgUk, on Flickr

seriously do people still weigh bikes and stress over it? i have no idea how much my Pegasus weighs i just concentrate on riding it

special77
    Free Member

2011 Gary Fisher Superlfy hardtail, completely standard with the addition of some new XTR trail pedals and Mud tyres is exactly bang on 23lbs in a 2×10 setup.

Clobber
    Free Member
    jfeb
    Free Member

I have 32-18 on my bog-standard Singular Gryphon. Weight – no idea but not light.

Thread hijack – For those who are regularly changing ratios, do you just add and remove links to the chain or can an EBB take up the slack of changing from, say, 32-18 to 32-20?

Paulh
    Free Member

Evening. Just wondering how tall you were. I am after the same bike. I am 6ft 2. I have a have a spark xl at the mo. Wondering if i could get away with a large 29er

Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘29ers…. who has the lightest ? and what ratio's do people use’ is closed to new replies.