Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • 29ers…. who has the lightest ? and what ratio's do people use
  • bikerbruce
    Free Member

well im going to try to race 29er next year and wonder what set up i need to use
    Bruce

trail_rat
    Free Member

ride some and find out …..

Eggbox
    Free Member

“ride some and find out ….. “

how helpful.

STW in action.

Candodavid
    Free Member

My Kona is pretty light at 20.4lb SS

epicyclo

My Scandal dips under 20lb depending what tyres and handlebars I’m running. Ratio 32:18 in summer, 32:22 for winter or 24 hour races.

Ringo
    Free Member

Mines 18lb think my mates is just over 17 and I use 32 16 😀

trail_rat
    Free Member

ringo – what are you and your mates running to get 18 and just over 17 on a 29er – rigid ?

i have a carbon framed 26er with allover light kit at 18 – although has sids on

my new ragley td-1 should be 22lbs with a rohloff and a brooks when i get round to assembling it(if the rims i ordered ever arrive) – have not even contemplated what it will be with an SS rear wheel !

as for my ride some and see comment – well if all he is interested in is having the lightest bike – no bother get internet reccomendations . if he wants a bike that rides well then he needs to ride a few 29ers have even more permutations on geometry than 26ers and some ride better than others. – but your opinion will be different …

give a vague question get a vague answer !

clubber
    Free Member

Mine’s 28lbs (real, not wishful thinking…). Geared with
    32/22 and 11-34 which is maybe a little low but not awfully so.

tazzymtb

my scandal ranges from 21.5-23 lbs depending on seat, tyre and fork combo. Current set up with a 33*-20 ratio, 2.25 nobby nics and u-turn frankenforks is a 10.29 kg so 22.7 lbs (ish)

* I run a rotor eliptical chainring and they are superb for singlespeeds, they are even bringing a ss specific ring out next year

Ringo
    Free Member

hi Trail rat im telling porkies, in reality i reckon mines around 20lb its a sir niner with niner carbon forks paul comp hubs and cranks, stans tubeless thomson kit. Im running 32 20 at the moment (couldnt be arsed to change since D2D) normally run 32 18 though. my mates bike is sub 20lb though its a singular ti prototype thing with nice kit sand niner carbon forks

Ringo
    Free Member

Tazzy you up for a ride next wednesday?

Andy

Singlespeed Swift with Rebas = 26 lbs
    On one Ti 29er 3 x 9 XTR, Fox F100s = 24 lbs

tazzymtb

yep should be mate, I’m riding like a complete mary at the moment so you’ll have to be gentle with me 😀

miketually
    Free Member

The TD-1 I borrowed for Kielder and HTN, with carbon rigids and SS, weighed naff all. 32:18.

Ringo
    Free Member

no probs ill email ya mate 😀 havent been riding myself much recently either

trail_rat
    Free Member

mmmm i love niners ! if only niner made a 420mm fork !

Ringo
    Free Member

yeah its a great fork the box it came in weighed more than the fork 😀

TooTall
    Free Member

dammit clubber – not a lightweight bike there. My Sultan weighs 30lbs all up. Not sure about the ScandAL.

clubber
    Free Member

Yeah, though it is a real 28lbs… Thing is there’s nothing obviously heavy on it.

trail_rat
    Free Member

mustang rims , steel frame , forks arent light , slx chainset isnt light

all adds up , but like you say nothing overly obviously heavy

boxelder

XL Scandal with rigid forks and X9/Deus, 27 gears weighs……..dunno, don’t have the time nor inclination to weigh it – 24lb?

hughjardon
    Free Member

Just finished putting together my Niner Air 9 Carbon, it’s a medium running 3×10 XT and is 24.5 lbs
    Rock Shox Reba RLT forks
    Formula The One brakes with 160 Rotors
    Thomson Stem/Seatpost
    Fizik Gobi Saddle
    Ritchey Carbon Bars
    Hope Ceramic BB
    Stans Arch Rims with Hope Pro II Hubs
    Maxxis Crossmark/Ardent
    XTR 980 Race pedals
    Got to admit i was a little miffed when i weighed it, however it wasn’t built as a weight weenie exercise, it has to be useable and durable? i am 94kg!

tazzymtb

if you want weight weenie light get a 26″ wheeled bike.

If you want light for monster hoops, the niners are lovely although the new on-one carbon 29er looks ace as well if you can stand the “tesco value” stigma of owning an on-one with all the niche whores about on the forum.

boxelder

niche whores

😯 Pics??

luked2
    Free Member

Singular Swift, 25.1 lb in rigid SS guise. Currently 33:18.

simonm
    Free Member

If its of use, weighed my Scandal frame 16″ at 1585g… its the older one.

firestarter
    Free Member

Dunno what it weighs, its not light but its great 😉 running 32-18

bikerbruce
    Free Member

sweet,is anyone running xx reba 29ers? or single or double front set ups?
    Bruce

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

I think this guy possibly has the lightest geared one:

here, at bikeradar

I built it for him. It’s about 21 pounds and cost about 6 and a half grand… ouch!

bikerbruce
    Free Member

i was looking to get under 20….for an xl
    for under 3000 and i reckon i will easy

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

As a singlespeed you’ll probably get change from £3k. His was also an XL BTW.

bikerbruce
    Free Member

with tub wheels and 2×10 gears…ill try

NZCol

Tallboy with new 2x10XTR and stans wheels comes in sub 25.

Not the cheapest option right enough !

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Bruce, drop me a line. I have a fisher superfly in xl I’ll be selling when the Scale 29er arrives. Mint cond, reba xx’s etc. Lots cheaper than £3k also 😉

Dave.

clubber
    Free Member

trail_rat – Member
    mustang rims , steel frame , forks arent light , slx chainset isnt light

all adds up , but like you say nothing overly obviously heavy

XTR chainset, I’ll have you know 😉

Forks, not particularly light but are there any light 29er forks? The Suntours are slightly lighter than Rebas (IIRC – I’ll check when I get the Reba replacements…)

And since it hasn’t been posted yet, here’s the lightest at 13lbs ish though with silly gearing:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=656281

pedalhead
    Free Member

My Pegasus was 23.5 lbs in this setup…

Could easily shave 3 or 4 pounds off I reckon with different brakes/bars/seatpost/rims/rigid fork/SS etc. Feels pretty light already though frankly!

Bernaard
    Free Member

My Scandal was 23lb on the nose with the carbon rigids on.

And is 25lb on the nose with the suss forks on.

Running 32/16 or 32/18 depending on the trail

KINGTUT
    Free Member

In all honesty clubber and a lightweight bike would not be a long term relationship..

letmetalktomark

I hate to think what my Swift weighs 😳

Having said that the bike dosen’t ride heavy if that makes any sense 😕

I started off with a 36T up front and a 11 – 34 out back.

Found that a 36T was a bit off an overkill unless it had its cross tyres on so have gone down to a 32T up front and this seems to make the ratios work better, well for me anyway 😀

clubber
    Free Member

KINGTUT – Member
    In all honesty clubber and a lightweight bike would not be a long term relationship..

You’re wrong actually – I did have a pretty light bike back in the 90s – never had a problem with it. Well not before the frame snapped, anyway 😉 The other bits seemed to last ok though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘29ers…. who has the lightest ? and what ratio's do people use’ is closed to new replies.