Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • 29ers. Looks like the games up!
  • binners

MBUK are now extolling their virtues. So it iz da kids wot iz ridin’ ’em now, innit? Grandad!

Time to find another niche?

rOcKeTdOg

Do i have to wear jeans with elasticated ankles now?

binners

Looks that way! Do you own a neon pink Fox t shirt?

dhmadness
    Free Member

Get some panniers on it too.

Northwind

binners – Member

MBUK are now extolling their virtues.

Dirt, too.

jimtorch
    Free Member

Didn’t the MBUK review comprehensively say that 29’s were faster than any other wheel size? 650B and 26″!

That’s right, wiped the floor with them on a test track up hill and down dale, absolutely destroyed them.

“WOW!” i hear you ask, “how much faster were they over the same lap?, an hour? 10 mins, a minute even?” nope, 15 seconds…….

…..15 seconds….. if i wanted to spend a couple of grand on 15 seconds i’d go and hire Cheryl Cole………twice!

I think i’ll leave the 29er upgrade to the elite athletes that give two sh!ts about 15 seconds

And for that reason, i’m out!

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member
    Scienceofficer
    Free Member

since when has any one, ever, based a properly informed opinion on what MBUK says?

wwaswas

since when has any one, ever, based a properly informed opinion on what MBUK says?

I decided not to trust what mbuk says based on what mbuk says.

Does that count?

firestarter
    Free Member

Do people still buy that mag ??

crofts2007
    Free Member

Is there any value in a 26″ wheeled 27 speed bike anymore?
    Is a 2011 bike now classed as retro? 🙂

wwaswas

I like Mint Sauce and, tbh, it’s the same reviewers etc as the other Future mags.

My son likes the free hats too.

Northwind

wwaswas – Member

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Does that count?

oh yes.

Holmesey
    Free Member

in the States a couple of weeks ago on a magazine cover ’27 and a 1/2-er’, when 29 is too big and 26 too small.
    I was that interested I didn’t even pick it up, thinking it was an April Fool, even though (a) it’s not April and (b) in the US ‘humor’ is controlled by the Government thought police.
    so if there are any ground breaking hipsters out there it could be true and the next big thing, before 33& 1/3ers come out with vinyl wheels

Northwind

27.5 is another name for 650B.

binners

I don’t know about anyone else, but I’ll be asking for jimtorch’s opinion on stuff instead from now on. Clear, concise, to the point, and with a Cheryl Cole reference. What’s not to like?

firestarter
    Free Member

Holmesey that’s a 650b isn’t it 🙂

Have MBUK got anything to say on belt drives ?
    Hopefully, I’m safe in my own little niche for a while yet.

wwaswas

belt drive niche 29er(ish) loveliness;

swavis

Have they done fat bikes yet? 😉

Northwind

Beargrease was in either WMB or MBUK this month. One of the two did a fatbike test ages ago and concluded like everyone else does “Makes no sense but still fab”

sam69
    Free Member

WOE how much is that belt drive bike?

wwaswas
    messiah
    Free Member

Conspiracy theory… everytime I click on a 29er thread Match.com is showing me blokes. The horror.

rOcKeTdOg

Waswaswas that is pant wettingly lovely

jezandu
    Free Member

It was mbuk who used to put the same line of test between hardtails and full sus and there was only a few seconds between them then……and yet people moved from there adequate hardtails to full sus. Why? Probably because their mates got one…..and then their mates got one etc. Can see the same thing happening with 29ers whether I like it or not.

orangeboy
    Free Member

I still use a 26 wheeled 8 speed v brake bike in the summer
    It’s great to blast past people on shiny high end bikes

A little polite hello on the way by helps no end lol

orangeboy
    Free Member

I should add I do like my new 29 spearfish a lot but its not the be all and end all

ac282

30 seconds per 20 minute lap is > 2.5 minutes over an xc race. Certainly worth having.

If you’re not racing, why are you interested in a article about how fast different wheels are?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It was mbuk who used to put the same line of test between hardtails and full sus and there was only a few seconds between them then……and yet people moved from there adequate hardtails to full sus. Why? Probably because their mates got one…..and then their mates got one etc. Can see the same thing happening with 29ers whether I like it or not.

I dunno, I was the only person in my ridnig group ‘oop-north with a 29er for the last 18 months (apparently a friend of a friend also had one).

I think one ‘interesting fact’ is that when dirt re-branded itself arround issue 50 they published time’d runs down a test track (1m30s odd). The old (pre SL) 150mm enduro was only a couple of seconds behind the Intense M3, and the Giant Faith (which they hated) was withing a second as well.

Basicly they proved that a £4k DH bike, a £2k trail bike and a £1500 FR/DH were exactly as fast as each other!

I do remember the hardtails were significantly slower though (arround 25% slower).

Now they did something similar recently with 26/29ers, the 29ers were 4-10s faster over about 90 second DH runs when comparing 5″ 26ers Vs 4″ 29ers (and 5″ 29ers Vs 6″ 26ers). Not Scientific, but it does show a fairly wide gulf between the wheelsizes that isn’t seen between the different styles of bike.

No ones forceing 29ers on anyone, maybe high end 26ers will die out, I don’t know. 26ers havent gotten worse, but the 29er I replaced my 26er with is significantly better in almost every way.

[edit] the above is bolloks, I miss read the article

kimbers

kona are releasing a 650b explosif next year

so thats the entire debate decided then!

D0NK

Clear, concise, to the point, and with a Cheryl Cole reference. What’s not to like?

erm cheryl cole?

MTBing is soooo dependant on the rider, just ride what you like.

I still use a 26 wheeled 8 speed v brake bike in the summer
    It’s great to blast past people on shiny high end bikes

bet you’d blast them so much quicker on that belt drive cross 29er bike 🙂

D0NK

it looks like a mere $2,195 might get you one for yourself if your early.

that ritte is not on the shortlist for my new commuter bike then 🙁

kimbers

and tinas thats not exactly what the dirt article showed……….

the 140 29er was 5s faster than the 150 26er

and the 160 26er was 4s faster than the 120 29er

http://dirt.mpora.com/news/dirt-magazine-26v29-bonus-feature.html

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

and tinas thats not exactly what the dirt article showed……….

I stand corrected, that’ll teach me to skim read.

DezB
    Free Member

and the 160 26er was 4s faster than the 120 29er

Is that £160?

roverpig

Well according to this:

The 650B Freight Train

“the industry has made the decision for the consumer”.

The midsized tire will dominate the market. Twenty-six-inch wheels will be seen only on entry-level bikes and long-travel downhill bikes. Twenty-nine-inch wheels will be reserved for bikes aimed at the cross-country set, with short-travel or hardtail frames.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

MBUK are now extolling their virtues

how could you tell? Did you copy the text out of it’s unreadable formatting over similarly coloured background, then painstakingly stick each word through google translate and urbandictionary?

I was too old for MBUK when I was 15, now I’m 40 it gives me a migraine…

LoveTubs
    Free Member

wwaswas,

That belt drive looks like an ex ‘Third Reich’ mail boy’s ride – go suck a sausage buddy…..pig ugly!

😛

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘29ers. Looks like the games up!’ is closed to new replies.