Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 29ers – better rolling so need less travel, but what about drops/jumps?
  • james
    Free Member

I’m quite interested in a 29″ wheeled full suss bike as a replacement for my 26″ wheeled full suss bike at some point in the future, (same goes for the hardtail). I’m 6’3 and for a number of bike fit reasons that a 29″er could be better

I understand that the bigger wheels mean the bike rolls over things much better, so surely in order to not dullen the ride you can get away with less travel which beneficially reduces brake dive/see-sawing/uphill squat issues somewhat from a longer travel bike

Thats all very well, but where I find the travel of my full-wuss bike the most useful is on drops and the odd jump and such.
    With less travel on a 29″er surely I’d be loosing out a little in its safety-net capability on drops

Okay, so get a 29″er with the same sort of travel. A niner Rip 9 or turner sultan are around 4.7″ rear travel and theres a fair few 120mm forks about, (or niner are introducing a 6″ frameset and manitou a 140mm 29″er fork sometime in the future?), but surely then the extra rolling for the same travel is going to start taking away some of the interest of less demanding terrain?

Am I being a bit paranoid or is it the case a bit that the extra rolling ability of 29″er wheels don’t help out anymore on drops, but can take away some of the interest of the terrain (especially the tamer ones?)

Clink

do a search on mtbr 29er forum…

singlespeedstu

You appear to be talking in circles. 😕

james
    Free Member

I was just trying to sum up a bit at the end after realising the post was getting a little lengthy

singlespeedstu

So in short my answer is.

Maybe…..

Or maybe not…. 😉

miketually
    Free Member

Have you ridden a 29er? Maybe get a cheap one second hand first, so you can see if you lie it?

s8tannorm
    Free Member

Having had the pleasure of a weekends training with Mrs Singlespeedstu … I’d say 29″ wheels won’t cause you any problems with drops and jumps, as long as you were ok with them to start with.

Stuart

ampthill

I’m 6 foot 4. I was thinking about a 29 er

Start visualsising a bike with 29 inch front wheel and 140mm forks. I’m currently on a 26 inch wheel hard tail with 80mm forks

Thats about 6 inches on the bar height for the same head tube. Maybe 3 for a shorter head tube. Take out some spaccers and go for flat bars, I still think we are talking a huge front end, even for me and I currently run a 21 inch frame with a 330mm post as far up as it will go

ttf
    Free Member

If it helps i am selling my barely used kona unit 29er for not much money 🙂

Send me an e-mail to nug8321@hotmail.com and i can sort you out with pics and more info.

james
    Free Member

What size? Are Units SS only? I’m (my knees/back/lungs are) a bit rubbish at SSing where I tend to ride

No, I haven’t ridden a 29″er. (the closest being a 26″ bike with tyres that measure nearer to 27.5″ pumped up)
    Would be wanting to compare to a 120mm forked hartdtail and a 130mm forked, 120mm rear full suss for drop ability vs. rolling anyhow

I’ve looked into getting a demo of some similar 29″er bikes such as a turner sultan. Silverfish? only had a medium on demo?! (according to the web)
    I’ve not had a full-on look for demo tbh, more just this rolling vs. dropping ‘issue’ had popped into my head so thought I’d query on here

ttf
    Free Member

Hi… It’s an 18″ frame sixe (bb to seatclamp)
    Yep, units are ready to fit gears to. It has all the cable guides etc… want some pictures?
    Also, it’s on ebay as we speak…only unit on there (bar one frame)

james
    Free Member

I’m 6’3 so fear an 18″ would be much too small. A 20″ would be more suited I think going off my current bikes
    Thanks for the offer anyway

charliedontsurf

Everything on a 29er seems to have more give, they roll real well, but on XC drops you will be fine… on effin big hucks you will need a bit more travel.
    I love them…. and when you are over 6 foot they dont look strange, in fact when you get back on a 26er it looks like you have nicked some kids bike.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘29ers – better rolling so need less travel, but what about drops/jumps?’ is closed to new replies.