Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)
  • 29ers. Are they faster?
  • luked2
    Free Member

I went for a ride around a local field this morning. 6 miles, mostly flat.

My time on my 29er Singular Swift (just under 27 minutes) was within 15 seconds of my time about a month ago on my 26er Inbred.

The grass was shorter back then, and I was younger.

So, do 29ers go faster or not? Or is more data needed? Or gears? It certainly *feels* faster.

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

Depends what speed you're doing.

ahwiles
    Free Member

yes.

no.

it depends.

emac65
    Free Member

Think a lot depends on how fast you peggul it…..

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Peggul?

Peggul?!!!!
    😐 😯

Rorschach
    Free Member

Definately sometimes,but other times not.Maybe.Depends who you believe.
    I peggul aswll.

emac65
    Free Member

Ok then pedal is that better ?It's what my kids used to say when they were 'ickle(I know ! )…
    Jeezzz 🙄

epicyclo

If you're freewheeling downhill they seem to roll faster.

If you're actively pedalling then it depends on the engine.

TooTall
    Free Member

A very experienced (road & mtb) 29er cynic friend of mine took a demo Giant 29er out for a couple of rides. He was V impressed and believes that, over the duration of a mixed ride, it is quicker. If he raced XC he'd have one without hesitation. He is waiting for a certain Giant FS 29er later in the year.

rOcKeTdOg

Yes, unless I'm pegguling it, everything goes slower when I'm the pilot

cynic-al
    Free Member

Of course 29ers are faster. As are bikes with steep seat angles. With spds.

All race winners are riding these bikes.

"Someone's mate" "believes" they are faster. What more proof could you need?

mboy
    Free Member

Don't forget just how important tyres are in the equation here. My 29er with kenda nevegals on is like a tractor, those tyres are sloooooooow on anything hard and smooth. As a result it's not quick on hardpack or Tarmac, but over roots and rocks it copes better than my 26" wheeled hardtail does for sure.

29ers definitely maintain any momentum more easily though, that much is clearly obvious when you've ridden one for any period of time.

GEDA
    Free Member

I would say they have better traction. I have a really old granddad 29er bike here in Sweden for going around town and when there was loads of snow I was amazed at what I could ride up. There was a video on U tube of someone riding a huge wheeled bike up steps that was pretty cool. They do seem to lack a bit of acceleration though.

scholarsgate
    Free Member

Here's a couple of links to comparisons.

Nothing scientific but may be interesting nonetheless.

WMB 29 v 26 article

29 v 26 single speed comparison

singlespeedstu

My 29ers are faster.

But then i am a trailgod.

TheSwede
    Free Member

M boy, nevegals on one of my 29ers. It must be the engine on your model that coughs and splutters. Mine seems to roll along quite nicely 😉

fontmoss
    Free Member

well if we take things away from cycling altogether and look at the size of wheels on a mini and the size of wheels on an aston martin (which are biggerer) then its pretty clear bigger wheels are faster.

HTH

rOcKeTdOg

So buses are even faster than astons then?

fontmoss
    Free Member

yes and tractors are like reverse 69ers

big_scot_nanny

fontmoss – Member
    yes and tractors are like reverse 69ers

PMSL, this thread is brilliant.

myheadsashed

GEDA where does your forum name come from? 😯

nicher+fasterer because the marking man said so – simples

mudmonster
    Free Member

29ers look a bit wrong though (most importantly).

TooTall
    Free Member

mudmonster – Member

Looks fine and dandy to me.

emac65
    Free Member

If you can hold your speed,with not too many tight turns & as long as you don't have to keep sprinting to get up to speed again,then they probably are.But if it's tight & twisty,then no…

TooTall
    Free Member

emac – you have a 29er?

emac65
    Free Member

Yes,ride with blokes who have them too & when I'm on a 26" wheel I'm quicker through the turns etc.Oh & I'm pretty anal about things so have timed myself on loops with a GPS/heart rate etc etc etc …. 8)

the-muffin-man

I have both – and neither is faster than the other. I can go just as fast on each.

26er is better on the twisty stuff though.

luked2
    Free Member

Not once you're used to them. Now my iddy-biddy 26" wheels just look silly.

I'll have to do another test tomorrow. In the interests of science.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

29 dont seem to be as fast on twisty single track where you need to accelerate they spin up slower.

keavo
    Free Member

luked2, as you say it certainly feels faster and thats good enough for me. i have no doubt i'm faster on a 29er anywhere.

Ti29er
    Free Member

I can tell you on my road training rides, with both the 29er and the Turner Flux mtn bikes shod with RRalf tyres, the 29er is almost 1.5mph faster on each ride.

keavo
    Free Member

i should add that only ride in straight lines 🙂

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

A. No. If they were, more professional racers would be using them in competition.
    Simples.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

29 are faster on the on the road? Hmm I spend my time off road where I expect my gear to preform. A larger wheel would be faster on the road.

cynic-al
    Free Member

You should tell the triathletes that!

Ti29er
    Free Member

Many semi-professionals are using 29ers, to great effect. Just look at the professional mtn biking scene in the UK – it's almost zilch, even Matt Page has a day job.

The road riding example above: extrapolate that and you have some more information so don't be so blinkered, it's 2010 and 29ers are winning all over the country in all manner of races from my local High Wycombe race meet to the Kielder 100. If you race or compete in events, be it Mayhem or your local club events, you’ll see, year on year, more riders commuting across to 29ers, and that’s simple fact.

Out and out speed is really only a small part of the bike riding experience and equation, but since the OP asked specifically about the speed of 29ers, I've confined my comments to just that. Unless you suck-and-see for yourself, you’ll forever be relying upon 2nd hand snippets of information and anecdotes, not the most informed way forward.

Last w/end was the UK solo 24hr mtn bike championships. My two fastest laps were on my 29er. I then had a rear wheel bearing issue so rode the Turner Flux for the remained of the 24hrs. This took in the Red & Blue routes at Newcastleton, so my personal advice would be to ignore the uninformed riders who pedal the line that 29ers are slow in the single track as they're talking from little or no personal experience; take your lead from those who have made the leap and actually own both 29 & 26ers.

emac65
    Free Member

But who cares if they're faster on the road 🙄

avdave2

Does it matter unless your racing?

Luckily for me at 5'5" I'll never have to face this dilemma .

emac65
    Free Member

I know a couple of people around that height who ride them & rate them…..

Ti29er
    Free Member

Again, you're failing to answer the question: are 29ers quicker?
    Yes, on the road I can tell you they are and then exprapolate this off road, it's not rocket science!

As for if this matters? Strewth, I'm answering the question, not debating if you wish to be slow off road if you don't race Dave2. And here we go again with that ignorant line about height…. Just answer the question, if you have any information worth adding! 💡

(leaves to go for a ride)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘29ers. Are they faster?’ is closed to new replies.