Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • 29ers and standover ?
  • iainc

was in LBS this morning and swung my leg over a lovely Orbea. Chatting with the guys at Sprockets, the new Occam M10 comes in around August and is specced with 12 speed xt groupset, custom colours and a TBC keen price tag…

Both my MTBs at present are 27.5, and at 5ft 10 with an inside length of 30 inch standover is not great. Not something that I notice on road and gravel bikes, but does it mean anything on a full susser ?

kcal

Never noticed standover on my bikes as an issue — I’m same inside leg, same height or if anything a bit shorter, not as nimble as used to be — medium 29r / 650b+ setup are both perfectly grand.

Hardtails though, sloping top tube.

rhayter

That new Occam looks lovely, and if it’s anything like other ‘new’ geometry 29ers, standover won’t be an issue. I’m 5’10” too (and ride a size medium 27.5 bike) and have been 29er testing recently. Size large and medium Evil Offering and size large Yeti SB130. Loads of standover!

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m similar in proportions to you OP, slightly shorter inside leg.

The limiting factor is the seat tube, I usually ride large 29ers and aim for 460mm or less.

Top tube standover not been an issue at all.

So you should be totally fine.

iainc

I have had a look at the seat-tube length for the large compared to my current 27.5 bikes (both M) and reckon I’d have to spec with a 125 dropper and would have it just about slammed, maybe about 10mm to spare. Other measurements look bang on..

andybrad

im 5ft6 on a good day and ride a medium stumpy 29er.

its fine.

although i do get bummed a bit

ta11pau1

Standover shouldn’t be an issue on any modern FS mtb, the thing that’s started to really come down in the last year are seat tube lengths, which in turn allows longer dropper posts and riders to ride a bike a size larger (longer) than they normally would.

Or, if you’re 6ft 3in like me, fit a 170mm dropper as a minimum. On some bikes even in the biggest size I’d be able to fit a 200+mm dropper.

cookeaa

I’m about the same as you size OP and ride a 29er standover clearance is down to where the TT is, not the wheel diameter IME. If you buy a frame that fits you’ll be fine.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

The more you crank a bike over the more of an issue stand over is. Other brands are available, but depending on the type of rider you are it might not be an issue.

kimbers

1.75cm here and my medium process 153 29 has bucket loads, have a 170mm dropper

cromolyolly
    Free Member

I found one bike I liked made me a bit nervous because the top tube slope meant the front was touching when I tried it in the shop. As soon as I was riding it the fork sag took care of that and it wasnt a problem.

iainc

short legs though….medium Anthem with 125 dropper.. :

anthem

honourablegeorge

I don’t think it means anything at all. When do you stand over your bike? Uness you’re climbing on it wearing a tight evenigng dress, I’d say you’re good. The position of the TT amounts to very little, there’s a saddle underneath you.

iainc

^^^ thats pretty much where my thinking is going. Have looked at seat-tube measurements and a 125 dropper, which is what I’m used to, will fit, just, so I thing I’ll be having a demo in August !

Northwind

Standover isn’t related to wheel size at all, really. The wheels are at the ends and you’re in the middle, the top tube, seat tube length and angle, and BB height aren’t dependent on that.

What definitely is a thing, is the amount of seatpost available, since that can reduce the length of dropper- that’s also not related to wheel size but is related to bloody stupid tall seatmasts.

(I’m 5’10 and 31 inch inside leg and I ride a size large 29er. But it fits me great, because it’s got a sensible compact front triangle, and decent reach and wheelbase)

marksnook
    Free Member

5’8” with a 30” inside leg and On a medium rocketmax with 170mm of dropper. Not slammed in the frame either. Stand over is low on that frame though

chakaping
    Free Member

You’ll probably get a 150 or 170mm dropper if you go for a OneUp or similar with low stack height.

I manage a 170mm with room to spare.

tails
    Free Member

It does seem that all trail bikes are going 29er with exception of the stumpjumper which has both. I guess smaller companies like Orbea just can’t afford to offer two choices. Shame as it looks like a very nice bike. I always thought 29ers are better once you reach 6ft plus. At least they got shot of that awful press fit bb.

DezB
    Free Member

My RM Instinct 29er has the same standover as my old 26 Yeti.
    Top tube is dropped.

DarkIgor
    Free Member

Im 5 11 and have a large 29er santa cruz hightower with a 150 dropper, as people have said standover shouldnt be an issue. I think you need to try the orbeas, in the existing models medium was a bit small for me, large is a big jump. The new occam does look nice. I was trying left handed drinking today to see if i could switch.

jayx2a
    Free Member

5ft 11 on an 18.5 Trek Fuel 29er. No issues with stand over (31″ inside leg)

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘29ers and standover ?’ is closed to new replies.