29ers

Home Forum Bike Forum 29ers

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • 29ers
  • Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

Get a better LBS.

Of course you can. I’m 5’7″ and ride a Medium EL Mariachi. Salsa do two sizes smaller than that…*

*other brands are available

Loads of brands do small and even extra small now. They have tuned the geometry these days so 29″ wheels are accessible to all shapes and sizes. Get a better LBS.

Premier Icon mattjg
    Subscriber
    Premier Icon shortcut
    Subscriber

LBS full of BS.

Get a better LBS.

Of course you can. I’m 5’7″ and ride a Medium EL Mariachi. Salsa do two sizes smaller than that…*

I too am the same size and ride a medium El Mar (best bike I’ve ever owned as well).

jonesy99

one of main worries is toe over lap. im riding a small framed ht and have toe overlap on it and it does my head in.

jonesy99

can you get a 29er that’s suitable for a short rider 5ft5″? lbs said there no good for anyone less than 5ft7-5ft8?

Jamie

Depends on the frame…and the pedals as well, I guess.

I had a Vitus Vee 29er 16″ which had toe overlap when you were making slow sharp turns, like round barriers on cycle paths, but I think that was because my feet would creep forward on the flat pedals.

Oh, and 5’7″ / Size 9 feet

creamegg

One of the sponsored riders at this years 24/12 was sub 5’6″ at a guess and he had a 29er. Think he finished 2nd in his class.

On the basis that on a 29er you sit more between the wheels rather than on top then there is no reason why height should be an issue so long as you fit within the manufacturers size recommendations.

My wife 4’11” rides a 15″ specialized fate. I’m 5’4″ and fit their medium fate or small stumpjumper HT. No toe overlap.

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg
    Subscriber

You can but it’ll look a odd as a 6ft5″ rider on a 26″ bike, like a 3 year old wearing mommy’s heels

jdeasey

The LBS are talking bollocks.

I’m 5’5 and my Whyte 629 in small is perfect. The BB height is the same as my 146 full suss as is the wheelbase, give or take a few mm.

Great piece of kit for general hacking around – no idea how it performs on techy stuff but I have no intention of using it for that 🙂

Cheers

avdave2

Are the shorter riders here on 29ers able to run their bars at or below seat level? I’ve bodged a 69er which I love but when I look at the stack on most 29ers I wonder if I’d be able to get my bars low enough.

Premier Icon takisawa2
    Subscriber

Niner do a 14″ frame… 😀

Niner_MCE_XS by pten2106, on Flickr

jdeasey

Avdave2 – my saddle is just about level with bars.

The spacers have been swapped round and are all above, rather than below.

Nice comfy riding position. Feels racier than on the 146 …

As soon as I work out how to post pcs, I’ll send one

z1ppy

jd? What hacking around vs technical? Bloody great frame, that need using hard to release their full potential!

jdeasey

z1ppy – only had it a week and nursing a bad hand post-op so no quarries or rough stuff yet, pus I’m crap at anything that points downhill !!

The 629 has so far been great on local tracks, back roads, wider trails, Rooley Moor etc

Crag Quarry is my favourite sort of stuff, plenty of pedalling, so it will be interesting to see how it compares to the 146 up there … 🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘29ers’ is closed to new replies.