• This topic has 29 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by ianpv.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • 29er XC/Trail forks for a budget, don’t mind used… Ideas ?
  • weeksy

Looking to throw some new forks in the Parkwood.

They’ve currently got some RS TK Silver in there, so fairly budget forks. 15mm Tapered. But they’re also coming in quite heavy.

Lockout would be nice but not essential. 120mm approx.

Currently got some ex display X Fusion Slides on the watch list at £200. (some paint marks on them). Along with a thought on Magura TS8 R140 from Merlin Cycles at £300.

Missed out last night on some Pikes on here…

What other thoughts/options then guys ? I was slightly dubious about Fox at the moment with the potential servicing issues due to changes we’ve all seen… but at the right money, i’m not against them as i’ve always liked Fox.

Budget at £300 really.

markrh
    Free Member

I’ve recently bought some X Fusion Slides and really like them. They aren’t to light though (1900grms) on the kitchen scales.
    But the ride and steer really well, feel well made, better than low end Rockshox forks imho.

welshfarmer

I have some 120 mm Rebas in the classifieds which would be an upgrade (and they’re cheap)

weeksy

I’ve recently bought some X Fusion Slides and really like them. They aren’t to light though (1900grms) on the kitchen scales.
    But the ride and steer really well, feel well made, better than low end Rockshox forks imho.

Just measured and sadly they’re 10mm too short. I could get a different stem but that’s then upping the cost by £30-40 so making the X-fusions closer to £250

I have some 120 mm Rebas in the classifieds which would be an upgrade (and they’re cheap)

What’s the weight on them fella ?

weeksy

Non boost needed.

dumbbot
    Free Member

Dang. Those forks are that cheap you could just buy a new front wheel anyway 😉

weeksy

They’re crazy cheap, but not once you add in £150 for a wheel and then i don’t have any spare wheels as none of my other 29er wheels fit these 🙂

Great find though

weeksy
    benman
    Free Member

I would buy those Fox forks from Germany and a boost conversion kit for £13…

http://www.xcracer.com/shop/viewproduct.php?productid=447

tintim

I managed to bag an Enve fork last year for 300 off the ST forum, its brilliant for XC and is super light. Depends if you want fixed as opposed to suspension.

sssimon
    Free Member

How long a steerer do you need?

vincienup
    Free Member

If there’s an option you like (the German Foxes above) and not having a Boost wheel is the sticking point then I’d also suggest going with a Boost conversion kit.  Fox 32’s over silver TK based forks is a crazy upgrade that you’ll definitely see the benefit of.  Boost isn’t going away, so you’re going to need to embrace it sooner or later anyway…

weeksy

Steerer needs to be 185mm

weeksy

If there’s an option you like (the German Foxes above) and not having a Boost wheel is the sticking point then I’d also suggest going with a Boost conversion kit.  Fox 32’s over silver TK based forks is a crazy upgrade

Theyre Fox 34s, so I suspect better again.

Ordered them.

Thanks guys!

faustus

Wow, I want a pair of those Fox’s for my Parkwood now, unbelievable price!

weeksy

Wow, that was quick… They’ve just arrived. Shooting to LBS to get star nut fitted and steerer shortened 🙂

Should be fitted later.

dumbbot
    Free Member

what are you doing about the boost wheel then? Adapter or new wheel?

ianpv
    Free Member

I’ve got a set of the german 34 rhythms and they’re really really good. Not far off the pikes on another bike, and a lot better than the reba/revelations I’ve had before.

The boost conversion kit is a pain though. Lining up the spacers etc. I’ll rebuild the wheel when I get a chance on a boost hub…

weeksy

Dumbbot, both. I’ve got a spare wheel here which is non-tubeless, so that will be consigned to the For Sale section, it’s a good Mavic Rim on a Pro2 evo, but schraeder anyway, so that will be sold… I’ve now purchased a Boost wheel from my wanted Ad on here… Along with an adaptor kit for the other wheel i now have fitted.

Awesome, arrived today.. That was quick from Germany !

So jumped in the car to get the steerer trimmed after measuring it. Then an SFN installed.

Forks just feel LOTS better than the standard TK Silver, which is no shock, but i’m shocked just how much nicer they feel. Install was effortless, it’s only forks after all. Little bit of pressure added and away we go !

[url=https://flic.kr/p/GtZR43]2018-02-23_05-27-29[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/24BJviZ]2018-02-23_05-27-21[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/24xQMVE]2018-02-23_05-27-12[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

roverpig

So the stickers aren’t green and the stantchions aren’t black. Look good though

weeksy

They had 2 options, gloss and Matt, I went with Matt as my frame is also. Obviously I don’t know about the gloss version as I don’t have them.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Like others as well – bought this fork:

https://www.bike-components.de/en/Fox-Racing-Shox/34-Float-29-130-Grip-Rhythm-51-Boost-Suspension-Fork-2017-OEM-p61616/

Put the fork into an old hard tail frame with straight 44 mm I.D. steerer tube (using one of these “special” uberbike headsets for this kind of conversion to “tapered fork”). Bought a low cost boost front wheel as well.

The bike was originally made for a 100 mm fork – but now with the 130 mm forks this bike is a blast. So much more fun! Great, great fork.

Based on that: bought a second Fox Rhythm fork but for 27.5 inch and 150 mm travel (same shop). For my full suspension bike project. No idea if this 150 mm fork is still on sale as well. Hope to have this 150/150 bike project done in summer…

Andy

Thats pretty much what I did for my Sherpa. Except I got the DS Hope adaptor for my Pro2 hub and re-dished the wheel (took about 10 mins). Great forks!

Bagstard
    Free Member

Mine haven’t arrived yet, I was expecting green and have just been pricing up a few green parts to match, glad I haven’t bought anything yet!

weeksy

This really should have gone in my Parkwood thread, but i’m unlikely ever to find it again.

TO say it’s now better is a massive understatement to the new forks. They’ve absolutely transformed the handling. Over roots it’s sublime and just cruises over stuff that once it juddered on, but on the techy stuff it’s just awesome too, inspiring is the best word to use. It now feels like the bike i thought i bought back 18 months ago. It was always described by the geometry as a playful and fun HT. Whilst i’ve always liked it, i never thought of it as particularly playful, but now with any roots you see you now leap off and bound away down the trail. Just brilliant.

Today really also highlighted to me why i’m done with trackdays… I had more fun even cruising round the local woods that i do on a £250 trackday… Today cost me £8 for coffee and sticky things, next week is Crusts round so that one is free… It’s a LOT less than £250 that’s for sure.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/GvF1qA]2018-02-24_06-07-44[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/23yBPmL]2018-02-24_06-07-34[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

bonzodog
    Free Member

Wow weeksy, your saddle is slammed forward!

weeksy

I think that come from me running an L in the Parkwood but an M in the t-130. I kind of got to like the smaller feel. Stem is short on Parkwood so can’t bring the bars back. So run the saddle a little forwards. I’d like to try a M Parkwood frame with all my bits if one came up. I love the bike, but think I’d love it a smidgen smaller even more.

ianpv
    Free Member

Mine are the gloss ones and they do have the green stickers. Weeksy’s look better!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘29er XC/Trail forks for a budget, don’t mind used… Ideas ?’ is closed to new replies.