Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • 29er XC singlespeed… More racey and lightweight than tough and heavy
  • wishiwascalledsteve

Can anyone suggest a lighter weight, more XC racy 29er singleaspeed frame/bike… Or am I just best lobbing a tensioner on any frame!?

Absolute max of £650 for the frame and has to be able to take tapered fork and a 30mm Hope crankset.

Thanks

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Giant XTC Advanced can be run SS.

Edit – no idea about BB.

captain_bastard
    Free Member

Santa Cruz chameleon?

wishiwascalledsteve

Thanks for the replies.
    Can’t find the Xtc for any less than a grand for the frame.
    The Chameleon, maybe. A bit hefty though

Kryton57

If you want my full bike for that money it can be converted I guess.

Might be interested in selling frame only for half that price – large black carbon Vitus rapide in the Classifieds.

swanny853

Do trek still do their stranglehold dropouts on some of their lighter frames?

wishiwascalledsteve

Cheers, only the stache that has stranglehold, the superfly ss is discontinued unfortunately

wishiwascalledsteve

Thanks for the offer krypton, was hoping for avoiding a tensioner

swanny853

I had a Planet X Dirty Harry that I ran with a tensioner. It was flipping light and fast but in the end I’m happier with my Al highball and ss dropouts- it just seems to run more cleanly and smoothly.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Second hand Niner Sir 9? It has an eccentric BB which worked amazingly well for singlespeed use.

wishiwascalledsteve

Shame they don’t do the Al Highball anymore.

The newest Niners can’t use Hope cranks when using the new biocentric BB.
    I’ll keep an eye out for a 2nd hand one

Thanks

Yak

2nd hand mk2 scandal – good singlespeed or with the drop-outs swapped- good with gears too.
    swanny853 – that fast pink Dirty Harry is no more alas. Awesome n’fast, but I had a bombhole incident a year or so ago…..and it snapped… 🙁 . Good though whilst it lasted.

djflexure

If you find a Yeti Big Top frame then I have a set of singlespeed dropouts.
    Lovely frame – I use mine as a rigid lightweight xc bike
    Can’t see me going back to ss though

mcdonagh2962
    Free Member

I used to have an on one carbon 29er lurcher frame and rigid carbon forks .bloody hell it was light as a ss.

swanny853

that fast pink Dirty Harry is no more alas. Awesome n’fast, but I had a bombhole incident a year or so ago…..and it snapped… 🙁 . Good though whilst it lasted.

Makes me a little sad- what broke? At least it died doing something fun!

I loved that thing in summer, on dry trails and fast tyres, with carbon forks, one gear and light wheels- it made you want to attack every climb flat out and what you could get up was astonishing. The problem was I wanted a winter hack!

Yak

It broke at the top-tube/seat tube junction and the seat tube/bottom bracket. I had a rider-error moment and went sideways into the bombhole.

Yeah, sad too as it had been brilliant. V fast. I raced it a bit, did loads on it. Fast and comfy and very capable too. I still see one other pink one around at the odd race/event.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

@wishiwascalledsteve did you ever get sorted with a frame?

I’ve got a Giant XTC I’m thinking of selling.

DrP

On one scandal v2….
    Honestly… Best bang for buck frame around!

DrP

Betamax
    Free Member

I bought one of these a few years back, not cheap but I’ve swapped it between quite a few bikes. It’s currently on a Chinese XC hardtail which is quite light and racey
    eccentric bottom bracket

whatgoesup

The OPs end goal sounds soooo much like my Scandal 29er SS. Reba forks and Crest wheels – weighs as much as a Sparrows Fart. Plenty quick handling (AKA nervous as ****) – great fun.

Note – the original Scandal 29er, not the 2019 one. I’ve got one one those too and it’s a very different kettle of fish.

spooky_b329

Am I correct in thinking any frame that takes a PF30 pushfit bottom bracket can be converted to an eccentric BB? Thats my understanding and if correct, it does open up the singlespeed options a bit 🙂

I’ve been dreaming of a singlespeed Shand Bahookie for a few months now…anyone here got one? (apologies, bit off topic as it doesn’t fit the OPs budget)

stayhigh

Another vote for a On One Scandal mk2. Have mine set up single speed with a carbon fork for commuting and pootling duties and its fab.

If its of any interest I have a 19″ 2013 Trek Rig with sliding drop outs and drop outs for geared or SS doing not a lot in the garage 😉

cromolyolly
    Free Member

The Onza Payoff will take an eccentric BB and are a bit of a bargain for a frame. Steel, though so not light.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘29er XC singlespeed… More racey and lightweight than tough and heavy’ is closed to new replies.