• This topic has 9 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by FOG.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • 29er wheels in a 26er frame
  • Spin
    Free Member

I’ve got an old hardtail I’d like to re purpose in some way, maybe turning it into some sort of rigid gravel beast or pub bike.

I’ve tried and I can fit 29er wheels in front and rear with room for some decent rubber.

Is this likely to have any noticeable effect on handling? I suppose it will make the BB and standover height higher but is that something I’ll even notice?

Cheers.

zippykona

I’ve done it for years , you’ll be fine. 29 wheels and cx tyres so not much bigger than chunky rubber.

Spin
    Free Member

Cheers, I figured that would be the case but thought I’d check!

docrobster
    Free Member

Yeah I had an old 26 inbred donated to me a few years back. It fitted 29 wheels with 36mm cx type tyres just.
    Was more fun with proper tyres on 26” rims though

zippykona

From back in ye olden days.It was bloody excellent in mud.

didnthurt

I did this with my old Cotic Soul. It worked fine but I never gelled with it. Worth a punt especially if it’s not going to cost you much.

sanername

My commuter is an old 26″ Indy Fab with 650b wheels with 47mm tyres on it, it’s ace.

slowol

My old ’92 model Rockhopper spent a few years with 700c touring wheels that I had spare and 35 mm tyres. Had to use long reach sidepull brakes but worked fine for commuting, tracks, etc.
    If you’ve got discs then even easier. As a bits and bobs bike it was great. Go for it.
    Mine is now back on 26 inch wheels, now with V brakes, after a stint with an xtracycle in the rear end.

ads678

I did it with a 2010 Ragley blue pig. 29″ wheels with a 1.95″ tyre in the back. 29er rigid forks as it could take a 140mm suss fork so kind of worked alright as a single speed commuter/shop/pub bike.

FOG

Another old Soul here with 700c wheels and gravel tyres. It’s my go to general purpose and holiday bike.(not of course a biking holiday). I was never going to use it as an MTB again but I didn’t want to get rid so makes a nice compromise.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.