Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • 29er wheel build advice / Rim choice needed.
  • yorkycsl
    Free Member

I’ll be building some 29er wheels up soon on DT240S hubs & interested in 29er specific rims, Previously I’ve built DT240’s on KOM rims 650B & like them but wondering about overall strength of the KOM rim on a 29er.

I bought a shiny new pair of Roval fattie SL carbon 650B’s last year & though they are superb a little harsh so I’m open to suggestions from 29er owners as I’m venturing into the unknown for me.

I know it’s a tough call but I’d like to go reasonably light but not a weight weenie, strong ish and UST ready, riding wise it’s lakes peaks and trips to Scotland now & then and I’m 90kg if that has any bearing on recommendations
    Cheers

RoterStern
    Free Member

I’ve got Stans Crest on the front and Arch on the rear because I managed to trash the original crest. Been happy with them. They stay straight and don’t need much attention. Perhaps the Arch is worth considering.

ratadog

Heavily depends on the clearance available in fork and frame and your intended use but here are some I have used that seem durable in my hands and I weigh a lot more than you.

At the cost effective end of the scale, Halo Freedom Discs, 28mm width, fairly light and seem highly durable. They are around for about 40ukp a rim. Not sure about the UST ready as I don’t run tubeless. Stans Flow EX 29er are about the same width, slightly lighter and designed for tubeless but also more expensive. In my experience they are excellent but tyre choice is important as some tyres can be a nightmare to get on them.

If you want to go up in width, Velocity Blunt 35 make for a seriously wide tyre footprint, are not that much heavier than the Flows and Velocity list them for cross country and all mountain but the rim tyre combination may be tight for space in frame and fork.

I also have some Mavic TN 719, only 19mm width which rather bucks the modern trend and restricts you to 2.3 tyre width but they are light and UST ready. I use them as a lightweight wheelset for summer MTBO.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    fudge9202
    Free Member

I built up Wtb sti23 rims om hope pro 2 evos and they are excellent.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

If you can wait a couple of weeks, and afford them, Chinese carbon.

bigjim

If you want UST ready your options aren’t too wide. 86kg here and KOM i25 on full sus and i23 on the hardtail, I think they’re great, and UST compliant. I think they’re as tough as stan’s rims but lighter, I’ve flatspotted them on water bars a bit but they’re still fine. If you genuinely ride sick to the power of gnar then maybe you want something heavier.

yorkycsl
    Free Member

bigjim,

I’m kinda thinking i25 KOM’s, got a pair of 240 hubs & I really like them, water bars aside which would give most rims a dink I think they’ll be fine.

The forks will be either Pikes or Fit 4 floats at 150.

The next thing is 29er tyres as it seems to be a different ball game with increased grip levels over 650B.

Currently I’m a fan of vigilante’s up front & if dry enough rock razor rear on the Bronson.

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Love my Flows

bigjim

I know people who are evangelical about carbon rims on 29ers, but having used them on 26 I’m not in a big rush to get some for my 29er, and having seen so many crack I have reservations about them there too.

have used a vigilante on the back and it’s excellent, but I don’t think they make the softer compound ones in 29 sadly. Their tough sidewall option starts getting pretty heavy in 29 size too.

br
    Free Member

Arch’s are probably a good shout, wouldn’t consider Crests on a 29er based on the amount of damage (rims and spokes, have 3 pairs) I’ve inflicted on my 26er’s.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d consider Mavic Crossmax XL wheels, if you haven’t bought the hubs already.

Stiff, lively and perfect for the riding you’re looking at.

hatter

Since you’ve already got DT hubs, why not XM 401’s? they’re a good balance of weight, width and strength and the PHR system rims tend to build up into stiff wheels. Easy to run tubeless as well.

If you’re going to be running 2.4’s or bigger then look at the 481’s which are a bit heavier but 7.5mm wider.

yorkycsl
    Free Member

bigjim,
    Though my first set of carbon wheels (Rovals) & very impressed with them after usual lakes rides & week in the Highlands Torridon etc they have been superb but not sure if I’m keen to go for them on a 29er, could be wrong but I like a bit of comfort too, must be a age thing eh,

unovolo
    Free Member

Using Flows here too, Goldtec Hub on the front and old but Gold Hope Bulb hub on the rear.
    Not the lightest but strong and reliable.

variflex
    Free Member

WTB Asym i35’s…..really good and excellent value.

mark_rich
    Free Member

Aye up mark, how about the new dt xm481 rims, 35mm wide, 490grams if I remember right!
    Been considering some myself, you may be better off buying em ready built, I’ve seen em built onto dt240’s with dt revolution spokes for less than £500 on a German site, £10 posted.
    They weighed 1700grams in 650b option!

breadcrumb

I’ve got i23s on my 29er, had no issues with them.

I don’t think I’d bother with anything else to be honest.

sillyoldman

DT XM401 for up to 2.3 tyres.
    XM481 for bigger tyres, or EX471 for battering through rocks.

singlespeedstu

I’ll be having a new pair of wheels built soon and I’m going with the new Spank 345 rims.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘29er wheel build advice / Rim choice needed.’ is closed to new replies.