Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • 29er tyres
  • russyh
    Free Member

Hi All,
    I seem to be struggling with tyre choice for my new 29er. Its fitted wit On-One Smorgsborg front and rear currently, which are excellent budget tyres. But i will be using the bike for more XC orientated stuff. As an example i’m doing the Wildbore event this month. All my other bikes are tubeless so i would want to go down this route again. What do people recommend, i guess my spec requirements are:

* Tubeless
    * Fast rolling
    * folding bead
    * reasonably light weight

I really dont want to spend more on tyres than I do on tyres for a car, so any recommendations for deals or best pricing would be a great help.

Many thanks guys

Yak

If you can find any geax branded saguaros in 2.2, then they’ll fit the brief and be cheap as the new ones are Vittoria branded. (Exactly the same.)

TNT are tough and heavier. Standard folding are lighter, but still fine tubeless.

pipiom
    Free Member

ACYCLES have got some cheap HutchinsonToro’s left as they apparently have stopped importing to UK….I got stocked for immediate future…..2.35f…2.15r….does it for me

Stoner
    Free Member

Ive been happy the last few years with Racing ralphs and rocket rons. V fast, light and I find good in most conditions I ride in.

I probably wouldnt trust them around anything too sharp mind.

Been running tubeless with home made gloop with not much problem. Re placed the gloop in one tyre after 18 months just the other day. Ought to do the other one soon.

Northwind

I was just looking at the same, I was going to go with ralphs but then remembered I threw my last set in the bin because of constant punctures… Seems to be some good Conti options though?

weeksy

Same as Stoner, the Ralph/Ron are quick rolling and decent.

nickdavies

I’ve settled on conti x-kings protection front and rear as my usual go to combo in 2.2 flavour tubeless on the HT. Never had an issue with them only gripe would be the rear doesn’t last that long for wear, never damaged one though. I blew one off the rim a few weeks ago having not put sealant in it for months, trashed the sidewalls riding it flat for the last few K as I didn’t have a spare tube and it still sealed afterwards! 😆

Currently got a race king protection 2.2 on the back for a slightly lighter fast rolling tyre and it seems better rolling maybe a bit less grip in the gloop but only put about 15 miles on it so far.

Bike-discount.de tends to have the best pricing.

Maxxis Ikon gets good reviews too.

russyh
    Free Member

Thanks guys some good choices. The Schwable look bloody expensive if buying from the UK. Will look on Zee-Germans website to see what deals i can get.

I have had Toros before in 26″ flavour and liked them but found they were quite square in profile. That said i cant bloody remember what rims i was running them on now.

Not looked at Geax tyres before?

Tiger6791

Just got some Nobby Nics on mine, pair was cheep from Merlin.

Very impressed with them.

http://www.merlincycles.com/schwalbe-nobby-nic-evo-tl-folding-mtb-tyre-29-x-225-76423.html

emac65
    Free Member

Have rode the Nic/Ron front & Ralph rear combo for several years now. Like them but Ralphs wear out too quick & are quite fragile, most recent one lasted 3 rides before a stone on a fire road went straight through the case! Ron’s are really fragile !Can’t fault the Nics though,other than their price. Recently built a new bike up & for a change(& less money) I went for Maxxis – Arden front/Ikon rear. Really liking the pair of them, Ikon is far grippier than it looks, but rolls really well. Both went up well Tubeless easily too.

daveh
    Free Member

RR front, Ikon rear here. Should be banned they’re so fast, it’s like cheating.

birdage

Really impressed with a Thunder Burt on the back! Fast and surprising amount of grip.

Northwind

Hmm. Thunder burt is a slick with acne; is that “a surprising amount of grip for a tyre that looks like the start of a trip to hospital” or is it “quite grippy”? 😉

I’m leaning towards an X-king for the front, as a balance of speed and grip- I don’t think I’d easily make the hope to a really fast tyre. And a rapid rob on the back because I have a rapid rob and it’s on the back. Sound sensible?

(if the x-king works out well with suspensionz I might pick up a 2.4 for the rigidz)

As of right now, it has a wtb vigilante on the front, it weighs as much as the rest of the bike combined

fudge9202
    Free Member

+1 for Toros they fit all your requirements, I’m currently running a pair on my Sherpa and they are ace, great for all year round.

wiggles
    Free Member

Spesh ground control and fast trak

richardthird

Same as wiggles.

chakaping
    Free Member

I really like the Ground Control as a rear tyre.

I’m using the Grid carcass version, which is nice and sturdy.

Deveron53
    Free Member

I have a special pair of tyres for long distance race type situations: Specialized S-Works Renegade. Surprisingly grippy and surprisingly tough. Survived the sharp granite so far… Just don’t try and corner on them thinking you’ve got your Minions on!
    They go up great with a track pump on Crests.
    My front wheel weighs 700g. With the Renegade at about 425g, that’s a seriously light front end!

Northwind

I wish they still sold Captain Controls 🙁

beano68
    Free Member

Rock Razor rear 😀

birdage

It doesn’t look like it should but I’ve been using the Burt since mid-Feb up and down the Downs and haven’t died. And that was coming from a Maxxis Beaver for most of the Winter!

Northwind

Thanks for that

bigjim

I have Toro 2.3 on the 29 hardtail, seem really good but 29er tyres are all new to me, quite narrow for a 2.3 and seem pretty fast rolling. Really well made, tubeless ready, a good weight and cheep to boot.

welshfarmer

Conti Mountain King Protection in Black Chilli flavour out front and a Maxxis Ikon EXO out back. Can’t fault them. I was even using this combo tonight on the 29er in full wet/muddy conditions on a DH course after my FS bike broke!

Northwind

Vigilante/Ron combo doesn’t really work it turns out, quite good at going backwards though

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘29er tyres’ is closed to new replies.