Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • 29er tyres
  • germolene
    Free Member

Just joined the 29er gang. I want some tyres. I always ride on these the Panaracer firexpro and trail raker. What could match these types, as I feel the choice is limited on 29ers?

emac65
    Free Member

Pretty sure any 29er tyre is going to feel better than those two you use ….

Nics/Ralph front rear combo works for me all year round,but the Ralphs wear stupidly quick. I’m on the lookout for something similar that doesn’t lose all it’s tread in less than 3 months !

damascus
    Free Member

Are you running your tyres Tubeless or with tubes?

i rrun Tubeless so as above, Hans dampf front in winter, nobbly nic rear.
    Nobbly nic front, racing Ralph when the weather gets better and if we get a summer full Ralph’s.

You can usually pick them up for a good price from bike discount.de

My only criticism would be that the rear tyres do wear quickly.

ratherbeintobago

My only criticism would be that the rear tyres do wear quickly.

Do you know if the Pacestar NN’s wear less quickly on the back than Trailstars?

vondally
    Free Member

bontrager 29-4 2.3 for all condition muddy tracks front 29-3 2.25 rear.Getting ready for winter 🙄

summer was 29-3 2.25 front and 2.1specialized ground control very happy

sumomatt
    Free Member

Specialized Purgatorys were good performers in pretty much all conditions.

Maxiis Ignitors awesome in anything except mud and very fast.

Nobby nics pretty good all rounders, but crap on wet rocks.

Continental X Kings again a versatile choice, pick the right derivative for your riding though – Racesport fast but prone to rock slices. Protection better sidewalls a little slower though.

As the bad weather approaches just moved to Hans Dampf trailstar up front with a HD pacestar rear

Oh and welcome to the world of 29ers 🙂

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Im selling a very lighty used Continental Mountain King 2 29 x 2.2 (Black Chilli compund, Protection sidewall) if you are interested?

Great all rounder – £20 posted to your door……

twoniner
    Free Member

On my last 2 bikes I’ve been running maxxis Ardent up front and a Mountain King on the rear. Really happy with the Ardent up front.

zippykona

I’ve been happy with Bonty Mud X all year. I did put a Small Block 8 on the back when it was really dry but could easily not have bothered.

weeksy

Maxxis Aspen for dry.

Maxxis ardent for not so dry

bigbloke
    Free Member

Been running on my 29er Maxxis Ikon for the last year, very surprising how well it coped winter considering its a micro knobbed tyre and summer/dry they have been superb.

Next summer I may look into the Maxxis Aspen as my riding buddy has been using them with no complaints.

_daveR
    Free Member

Been running a NN/RR combo for a while now. Just switched to a HD/NN pairing now to see if I get more grip for not too much more drag.

Planning to try a 2.4 ardent front and 2.25 ardent rear too.

shortcut

Recently switched to Specialized Ground Controls. Cheap enough, light enough, grippy enough, more robust than Schwalbe and Conti (non protection), easy enough to set up tubeless.

Can’t complain, do a good job – they are pretty good really. Also they are black and round which works well for a tyre.

ratherbeintobago

Also they are black and round which works well for a tyre.

You mean you don’t like the skinwall look? 😮

billyboy
    Free Member

Racing Ralphs didn’t pick up in bad conditions so……….I changed to Ardents but they didn’t pick up well on the back in wet and mud so I changed to the new Mountain King on the rear which feels good and seems to keep speed.

tanglewood
    Free Member

Mountain king, 2.2, chili, protection front.
    Cross king, 2.2, chilli, protection rear.
    what a difference to bontrager.
    See Continental web site and check specific part number.
    The front for cornering on trails, wet or dusty dry.
    The rear for driving on hard ground or mud.
    Ardent’s sound good, but haven’t tried them.
    Hope this helps.

takisawa2

Ralphs year round here. I don’t go fast enough / lean enough / brake hard enough to loose grip. 🙂

I’ve got a mint condition 2.35 Nic in case, but it’s got them really thick sidewalls.

Chipbutty
    Free Member

Currently running 2.25 Ardents front and back on my Trance. May put a On one Smorgasbord on the front soon as the mud was affecting the Ardent last ride.

ratherbeintobago

Anyone any experience of more esoteric options ie. WTB Bronsons/Michelin Grip’rs etc?

steve_b77
    Free Member

Ground control front & fast trak rear in the summer for me, then purgatory front & ground control rear in the winter. Sorted

germolene
    Free Member

enough enough I say! Thank you I have enough info

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘29er tyres’ is closed to new replies.