Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 29er tyre for upcoming winter.
  • J273
    Free Member

Been using a Rocket ron (pacestar) up front and geax saguaro out back for the last 6 months or so and have been fine in the dry. Now its turned a bit gloopy out there, theres virtually no grip from the ron up front.

Im in need of some new front rubber for my XC 29er. Dont want anything too draggy but ideal for mud and wet roots.

Can anyone suggest anything? – I was going to go for a spesh butcher up front but thinking this may be overkill on a XC bike ( C’dale flash 29) …..Hows the purgatory in the mud? would this be ok and better than my Ron?

Thanks

steve_b77
    Free Member

I rode with a Purg up front all last winter, they’re excellent all rounders and won’t kill you on roots either

Frankers
    Free Member

Saguaro back and Gato front

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Bigmantrials

Maxxis Beaver’s have always been a good winter tyre in my eyes, only thing is that they could do with a 2.2inch version as the 2.0 can look quite narrow when first fitting.

ssboggy

There’s supposed to be a 2.2 beaver coming out soon and also with tougher sidewalls as the normal ones are a bit delicate if you ride on rocks

fenred
    Free Member

Back on the rigid SS 29er this wkend and just switched to a new tyre combo of a 2.0 speshy storm control out back and a 2.4 chunky monkey up front, rode yesterday and today and seems to be working very well indeedy! 8)

shortcut

You missed the important bit of info. Where do you ride? Geology and soil type should have a big impact on the right answer.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Gato, mine was ace up front today for 3 hours of slopping from muddy puddle to muddle puddle and over numerous roots and rocks that the Chase had to offer…

to be fair the Sagurro out back wasn’t bad either, I’m thinking of swapping that for a gato on the back as well, but not sure now?

Run Gato soft as it will allow

DT78
    Free Member

I don’t actually find Ron’s that bad….

Frankers
    Free Member

Whathaveisaidnow – Member
    Gato, mine was ace up front today for 3 hours of slopping from muddy puddle to muddle puddle and over numerous roots and rocks that the Chase had to offer…
    to be fair the Sagurro out back wasn’t bad either, I’m thinking of swapping that for a gato on the back as well, but not sure now?
    Run Gato soft as it will allow

You running 2.3 of 2.1 up front

Candodavid
    Free Member

Gato just run first time today. 2.3 up front @ 19 psi, 2.1 on back @23 psi. Well happy on the rigid Curtis 29er, coped with everything I threw at them today, and today’s ride was grim

benji
    Free Member

I really like my Rons it’s my go to winter tyre, what pressures are you running? How worn is it?

J273
    Free Member

Where are you guys getting your gato’s from?

@Benji the Rons got plenty of tread left and run it about 20psi as I’m a lightweight. The thing was terrible last night just no grip at all in the mud. It is the pacestar compound though maybe id be better with trailstar??

Wouldn’t mind trying a gato though to match my saguaro out back if only i could find somewhere who stock them.

h4muf
    Free Member

Hans damfps and a purgatory out back.

Candodavid
    Free Member

Gato’s from LBS, ordered direct from Chicken & Sons

Can get them here too

Lazy boys look here

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘29er tyre for upcoming winter.’ is closed to new replies.