Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 29er tubeless options
  • devs
    Free Member

Right then, I’ve demo’d a tallboy and I love it. Got some others lined up but I’m pretty sold on a 29er FS bike soon. I want to run tubeless but there don’t seem to be as many options out there so looking for the collective’s advice. I want to run 2.3 and 2.4 tyres and I weigh 17st so the Hope Hoops with Crest looks to be too flimsy and unable to run the wider tyres. Anyone else actually running wider tyres on 29er crests and are there any other options. If need be I’ll go ghetto but would rather not.

TooTall
    Free Member

I have Stans Flow rims on my good 29er – and I weigh more than you. I’ve only got 2.2 on there but they do just fine.

devs
    Free Member

Aye I saw some flows but they only seem to be available in the states. I’ve got Hope hoops on Flows on one of my 26 bikes and love them. Any one know where they can be got for much cheapness?

Northwind

Superstar is knocking out 29er Flows at a pretty nice price just now.

tazzymtb

2.35 pacestar nobby nic tubeless ready on crests at 18psi with no issues at all

2.5 dissent plays nicely with them as well

Deveron53
    Free Member

I had some wheels built up. Mavic A119 rims on Hopes – they’re rim brake wheels but the higher walls help stop the dreaded blow-off at higher than 50 psi (It happened twice on my Crests).

tazzymtb

dreaded blow-off at higher than 50 psi (It happened twice on my Crests).

WTF were you doing pumping tyres that high on any stans system, they’re not built for it. It clearly gives you the max pressures on rim for the tyre width and it you are putting that much air in a tyre why bother with a tubeless set up in the first place 😆

devs
    Free Member

Max rider weight for crests is 190lbs. That deffo settles that one then. I’m not sure about teh superstar hubs. I’m gonna have to pay through the nose I think for Hopes and Flows.

charliedontsurf

Crest rims have a rider weight limit of around 180 pounds. But I am around 220 and use them on the salsa spearfish

Go for arch rims and 2.35 nobbly nic or 2.4 racing Ralph.

devs
    Free Member

Anyone know where I can get Hope Pro 2 with Arch Rims, or Flow rims in 29 er stylee? They’re not exactly common place.

simonm
    Free Member

I’m running 29er crests with Ardent 2.4s on, there fine, done plenty of rocky descents in the Peak and IOM and all good. I think sometimes people get too hung up about rim size / widths etc.

hughjardon
    Free Member

Justridingalong did a set of Hope Pro 2 with 29er Arch rims for me a while back, complete with choice of spokes and nipples.

Fantastic set of wheels, I’m over 15st and had no problems with them.

dday

Running Shimano 29er rims, for around £300 a set, bargain. Ardent 2.4’s tubeless, no problems.

devs
    Free Member

simonm, yeah they do. It’s just that the Stans site has max rider weights and tyre size and given that I break everything anyways, I don’t want any warranty or insurance get out clauses.
    ” So Mr Devs, you want to claim on your income protection, why?” “Er cos I’m crippled and can’t work anymore, that’s why I took it out me being all self employed and all that you see?”
    “Hmmmm, says here that your accident was due to riding an oversized tyre on a rim that is rated for a man 55 lbs lighter than your weight, can you explain that?”
    “Bloke on STW said it was fine and that these ratings are only for people with hang ups for that kind of thing, they’re not there for any other reason, I mean what do manufacturers know?”
    “Can I give you the number of the Big Issue head office?”

Deveron53
    Free Member

and it you are putting that much air in a tyre why bother with a tubeless set up in the first place

I like to run harder tyres while riding to the trailhead. I havern’t got a car, you see.

simonm
    Free Member

hehe…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘29er tubeless options’ is closed to new replies.