Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • 29er trail bike.. Frame ideas?
  • ska-49
    Free Member

Hi guys,
    Looking at getting a 29er frame for all round duties. Ive got the build kit from another bikes (XT, 1×10, dropper, etc) so just looking at a frame to bolt it too. Budget is around £700+-

Heres the issue; im only 173cm/ 5’8.5” so some brands are out.
    Im currently looking at:
    Santa Cruz Highball Alloy
    Cotic Solaris (maybe too big)
    Kinesis FF29
    Yeti hightop (size and budget issues)

Anything else to consider ?!

tazzymtb

canfield yelli screamy or nimble 9, salsa el mariachi, niner sir 9 or air 9 if you can find one.

Clink

Canfield Yelli Screamy – fab ride and low standover
    2SoulsCycles Slim Jim

variflex
    Free Member

On One Lurcher is very good. Ive just got back from a ride and one of the guys has a relativelt new one and we completed 20k of mixed riding with some very technical downhill twisty stuff and it coped really well for a 29er.

johnnystorm

Cheapest Canyon 29er (all the same frame) and use your/it’s best bits and flog the spares.

Clink

It’s worth trying something like a Yelli Screamy if you can; slacker ha and shorter chainstays than most of the bikes mentioned – lots of fun!

singlecrack
    Free Member

Nooooo step away …(in best Obi-one voice ).”this is not the band wagon your looking for “?

. But if you really have to ….def try a Yelli Screamy

takisawa2

5’9″ here & love my SIR9. Think the new one has a more dropper compatible 31.6 seat tube than the 27.2 on mine. Canfield Nimble 9 would be another choice.

weeksy

ARRGHHHHHHHHH my YELLI is still in Coventry !!!!

Stop it with all these Yelli posts lol.

Tuesday with luck i’ll have the Yelli 🙂

higgi
    Free Member

I`m same height as you and recently built up my 1st 29er , On-One 16″ scandal . its slendid . well worth it

Rorschach
    Free Member

Yelli screamy….or a yelli screamy or errrr oh yeah A YELLI SCREAMY.
    Mines ok.

hugor
    Free Member

Kona Honzo? They look great in the flesh but not ridden one.

Mal-ec
    Free Member

Cotics look great in the flesh, Lurchers less so, plus they have steep head angles + PITA bb’s.
    Ridden a Yeti Big Top around trail centres, Trans Cambrian, 24 + 12 hr races + its been uniformly great. Fast light, capable, stiff enough. Medium is bob on for me at not quite 6′ (70mm stem 720mm flat bars + layback seatpost for long rides). SC highball is shorter so might be a better fit? Med Solaris would be a good fit, no?
    From experience (DOH!) I’d say an OK bike that fits well is better than an ace bike that doesn’t quite.

xcneil
    Free Member

Whyte 29C

ska-49
    Free Member

Thanks for all the information! Many more frames have been mentioned so i’ll check them out too. Wont be buying on-one though (many personal reasons is all).

Little worried that the yelli is a bit slack??

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

The Yelli is by far the best trail bike of the dozen or so 29er frames I have owned. I replaced it with a Solaris for a more versatile bike and whilst its a brilliant frame, it lacks the short stays and slack angles that make the YS so much fun.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Little worried that the yelli is a bit slack??

Don’t, it turns better than much steeper bikes I have owned and is really stable on the downs.

ska-49
    Free Member

So a little research show up that the German canfield site is selling them for £640.. seems like a good deal?

Clink

Best you’ll get, but check how much shipping is. CTBM is the uk shop now – see if he’ll match it?

Clink

Roughly £415 in US 🙁

ska-49
    Free Member

Yer, I just checked that. Hideous!
    My dad used to live there so had plenty of access to cheap parts but now he lives in Germany. Grrr.

I’ll ping an email to him. He’s been gret in the past but I do believe this may be pushing it on a price match.

accu
    Free Member
    steve_b77
    Free Member

I have a FF29 built up with 2×10 XT, 100mm Rebas and crests, it’s frikkin awesome

I used to have a Chumba HX2 built up too, still got the frame 😉 bags of standover for a medium frame too.

YoGrant
    Free Member

Speak to Sam at singular cycles about his new 29er trail frame. Looks ace!

sam@singularcycles.com

ska-49
    Free Member

For any one that’s interested. I ended up picking up the yelli from Canfield Europe. Great service and price from Steffen. Never got a reply from singular and just fancied something a bit different and aggressive. Quality is fantastic on the frame. When complete it shoudl weigh a touch over 25lbs (little bit more if I decide to get the reverb).

Here’s the build:
    http://i49.tinypic.com/2emj3fp.jpg%5B/img%5D
    http://i47.tinypic.com/ycuwh.jpg%5B/img%5D
    http://i50.tinypic.com/2utj191.jpg%5B/img%5D
    http://i45.tinypic.com/2v3keq9.jpg%5B/img%5D

Still undecided on removing decals, stickers and graphics to make it all matt black and stealthy. Awaiting new chain and seat post and then its time to ride. Forks are set at 100mm for now but may up them to 120mm later on.

singlespeedstu

Forks are set at 100mm for now but may up them to 120mm later on.

I’d do it now if I were you. 😉 Oh and drop the spacers and fit a flat bar.

Got a 140 Rev on mine that i was going to drop down to 120 because i thought it’d be a bit shite on the climbs.
    It’s still at 140. 😀

ska-49
    Free Member

I really cant wait to ride it now.

Once I’ve ridden it i’ll sort out spacing/positioning. Dont want to get too hacksaw happy yet.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Get them at 120 NOW and slam them bars……and order some rev 140’s!!
    I’ll be surprised if it 25lb-ish…mines xtr’d/arch and is 27+……man size xl and proper tyres though 😉

weeksy

Mine sold on Friday night. 2 weeks and 3 rides it lasted.

z1ppy

How come?

weeksy

In all honesty, 2 reasons.

1. It was too big
    2. It didn’t do anything better than my XTC29

(However, arguably, part of the reason for 2 is because it was too big)

z1ppy

Fair enuff 🙂

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘29er trail bike.. Frame ideas?’ is closed to new replies.