29er slime inner tubes

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • 29er slime inner tubes
  • ok I know its hard enough getting 29er tubes, but I want some slime ones for the winter. had 2 punctures last night and that was filthy enough.

Are ‘Stans no flats'(28″) the only ones available?

p.s. I’m man enough to take the extra weight on my big wheels before you ask 😉

KINGTUT

Why not remove the core add the slime yourself?

roddi18

What KINGTUT said. Remove the core and either add slime or stans juice

hoojum

+3 . I use super light schwalbe light tubes (F19a’s) and remove the core to add a little Stans sealant. Works a treat.

MrTall

I looked into this a while back.

It seems they do exist, only not in this country. If you go onto Ebay.com in the states then you can order them with not too bad a postage charge if i recall.

That’s the lazy route anyway. I also bought some schwalbe tubes with removeable cores and some stans liquid but have never gotten around to putting the two together……

clubber

I made my own – 26″ schwalbe tubes (no problems fitting the smaller tubes in my 29er and saved having different spares for my other bikes) with noflats sealant inside. Seemed to work pretty well though it still pinched eventually. In the end I decided to bite the bullet and go tubeless and I’m very happy that I did.

Thanks. Have got some sludge somewhere actually.

Might do tubeless as I never change tyres on that bike though…

teddy
    lipseal

I get 28″ conti ones from high on bikes took the core out and squirted in some slime. Seem to be holding up ok.

yeah have been using 26″ after destroying my only 29’ers, but they are a bit annoying at times.

Premier Icon mrplaybus
    Subscriber

Daft question but how/is it possible do you take the core out of presta tubes?

lipseal

Continental ones screw out.

Premier Icon mrplaybus
    Subscriber

Ok will have a go as have some continental tubes to play with 🙂

Premier Icon Andy R
    Subscriber

lipseal – Member
    Continental ones screw out.

And Schwalbe too.

Premier Icon zippykona
    Subscriber

How much sealant do you need to add and what does it weigh?
    Considering tubeless as the thorn season will soon be upon us,but if this works it seems a lot less hassle.

lipseal

£8 for the slime plus £7 for two tubes

clubber

I used 60ml per tube.

bigsi

If you do go down the route of putting sealant in inner tubes be careful which pump you us!

Only reason i say this is because if you use a screw on rather than press on pump it can undo the core as you take the pump off causing your mates to take the piss no end as you battle to re inflate the tyre without unscrewing the core every time you go to take the pump off. 🙁

I speak from experience 😳

haha, i’ve been there too bigsi 🙂

Premier Icon ratadog
    Subscriber

Daft question but how/is it possible do you take the core out of presta tubes?

Not sure whether some continental ones screw out or not, mine didn’t, but with a presta to schrader adaptor that costs about a pound you can adapt any presta tube with a bit of a fiddle. The nut on the end of the presta valve is normally held on by a widening at the end of the screw thread but will normally unscrew anyway with a bit of force – I got mine off with a pair of pliers and minimal leverage – you can then either a) tie a piece of thread to the end of the valve or b) not bother, it didn’t appear to make a lot of difference. Let the valve drop into the tube catching it neatly through the wall if possible, attach adaptor and insert slime etc. and then a) pull valve back into place with thread, b) push valve core back into place as you are still gripping it through walls of tube, c) work out where it has got to in the tube by feel and manipulate it back into place – and then reattach nut. Some mess, but it is relatively minimal.

They got me through last winter with no deflations despite several thorns.

P.S. Bontrager are also supposed to be doing 29er self mending tubes but I have not found them on this side of the pond yet.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘29er slime inner tubes’ is closed to new replies.