Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • 29er riders – What's your gearing ?
  • the_lecht_rocks

i’m struggling to decide between the following :

1. 26/38 front 11-36 cassette.

2. 24/32/42 front 11-36 cassette.

option 1 is my preference but I’m worried I may miss the minute granny [option 2] on long days and super-steep climbs, but I simply don’t need the big 42 tooth front.

what do you guys run and where is your riding ?

TIA 🙂

john_l
    Free Member

34t front, 13-36 rear. South Downs. Steep climbs, but not particularly long.

metalheart
    Free Member

Get yer arse up Pitfichie then get Richard the AC back!

When you’re at the top of Cairn William breathing out of said arse you will have your answer…

😀

M6TTF
    Free Member

Pretty sure my scandal came with exactly the same ratios as my fuel ex

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Single 36t front and 11-36 rear.

pedalhead
    Free Member

32:19 😉

Actually, been riding geared recently and 1×10 with 32 front and 36 cassette at back will get you up just about anything.

steve_b77
    Free Member

32 front and soon to be 12-36 when the cassette arrives, currently 11-32 and it’s a bit tricky on tech/steep/loose climbs

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

You could always go for a 36-22 front and 11 36 rear , thats what I’ve got on my Camber and I don’t find it too low . Failing that 38-24 front is available .

OCB
    Free Member

I need to get the transmission ordered for my new build, so this question has been on my mind too. This’ll be my first geared build for ages …

This is based on a notional 29″ wheel size, so ’tis not terribly scientific, but (and, always assuming the maths is actually right 🙄 ) in terms of gear inches you’ll get:

Option 1: 21 – 100
    Option 2: 19 – 111

… So not much to be gained at the bottom end, but a bit more at the top with the triple. That’s not the whole story of course – there’ll be more overlap with the triple, but that might [also] save you hunting around for quite the right gear too.

Depending on the uppy-downiness of the ride, you might find that running the double involves more shifts on the front, rather than just leaving it in the middle for more of the ride.

I’m almost certainly going for the 3 x 10 option, as I do ride on road stretches between the back-country lanes (so the big ring’ll be useful), and I don’t ever ride trail centres (in fact I’m not even really sure what one is). South Devon, so lots (and lots) of short, steep hills / ridges almost everywhere.

cynic-al
    Free Member

24 36 is the answer.

the_lecht_rocks

thanks fellas.

Flashy
    Free Member

32 X 18 simples……….

bonesetter
    Free Member

I love 1×9 29T up front – 11/34 out back for my hilly, steep short up & downs, woodsy riding. Does everything perfectly with little clutter up front too.

tang
    Free Member

Run 1×10 32front with a 36 out back, great for trail. and I also run the 26/38 front which is actually better than I thought , don’t miss the granny and 38 with the full spread out back is very trail handy. Good set up for longer days.

devs
    Free Member

I’ve got option 2. I’ve yet to use the bottom gears and I spin out at the top end on some fireroads. I could get by with 1×10 but it would be getting by and not ideal.

matthew_h
    Free Member

33t single up front with 11-36t 10 speed at the back for riding in and around the Peak district and anything else

ssboggy

I was in a similar dilema, if you go on sheldon browns site you can enter all the various ratios and wheel sizes, IIRC 22:32 on a 26er is almost identical ratio to 26:36 on a 29er, the highest ratio isn’t much different either
    Gear Ratio Calculator

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

32 x 11/34T around the NW Alps, ideal spread unless its really steep, and one of the things i like the most is how much smoother the gears seem to run.

clubber
    Free Member

2×9, 22/32 front with 11-34 at the back. It’s maybe a touch low so I may change to a 34 at the front when the 32 wears out.

rootes1

1×9

32 front and 11-34 rear

if i go 10speed then a 32 front 11-36 rear would be the best combo

gee
    Free Member

1 x 9 on my 29er – 34t chainring with 11/34. If it was 1 x 10 I’d go 36t with 11-36. For what I ride anything you can’t get up in a 1:1 ratio gear is a walk anyway.

GB

bonesetter
    Free Member

Sheldon Brown, gord rest ‘im, will get you in a tizz. Use a guide, sure, but find your own

tk46hal
    Free Member

I have a triple xt chainset with a 11-34 9 speed.
    I also have a S/S running 32 front with 18 rear, but find it limited.
    I’m also building a 1 x 10 but I really don’t know what size front ring to order? I’ve got the rear 10 speed xt cassette 11-36 etc, but still need to order the front ring, 3 2? 33? 34? 36? Help. Yorkshire Hills!

rOcKeTdOg

32T x 12:36 not had a granny gear for 2 years now, the 36 on the back gets me up anything i’ve tried so far

tk46hal
    Free Member

I’ve just pressed the buy it now button on a 32t chain ring! 😉

tk46hal
    Free Member

rOcKeTdOg!

I’ve ordered a Salsa 32t chain ring which says is compatible with 1 x 9, but doesn’t mention running 1 x 10, or does it anywhere! I’m interested in knowing what front chain ring your using on your 1 x 10 set up?

Thanks.
    Tim.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Any unramped chainring will work, doesn’t matter whether you’re using 9sp or 10sp

Nipper99
    Free Member

I use a Middleburn Uno on both 1×9 and 1×10 set up – works fine.

rOcKeTdOg

I’ve got a renthal chainring on one, a ramped middleburn on another and a shimano deore on the 69er, two with n-stops one just the ring, no chain issues

Sam

Any unramped chainring will work, doesn’t matter whether you’re using 9sp or 10sp

Not quite true, certainly can’t use rings which are designed for 1/8″ chains and some 3/32″ chainrings are also too wide – I’ve found Surly stainless rings don’t mesh well with 10 speed chains.

Oh – and as for gearing, I’m normally 34-19 but have been playing around with 34-11/36 lately and quite liking it.

pb2

Does anyone know where I can get a 36 tooth ring to fit either a Shimano or Sram standard 9 ring cassette ?

Moda
    Free Member

You can get a 36 tooth ring here, a bit pricey though for one cog.. Not seen them anywhere else..

http://www.frmbike.biz/index.php?route=product/category&path=69_76

tk46hal
    Free Member

Try ebay via the oversea’s or wait for the deore one’s to come back into stock. Not long now so I’m told.

pb2

The Italian 36 tooth ring certainly looks like a classy bit of engineering but 56 euros is a bit steep. I might be better off just buying a brand new cassette with the 36 tooth ring. I presume if I buy a buy a 10 speed cassette I would have to buy new crank chain rings to accommodate the new 10 speed chain ?

swavis

I’m currently running 34-18 but when I’ve had enough of ss I think I’ll go 1×9 with the 34t chainring and 11-34 cassette

takisawa2

32/18 mostly, 32/11-36 if need gears.
    Waiting for one of Tazz’s wobbly rings so 33t front soo….

pb2…unless your 10spd currently you’ll need shifters & mech, but 9spd front rings are fine with 10spd.
    You could go 9spd 11-34 & try & get a 30t front ring, I couldn’t find one but noticed someone further up had a 29t…???
    Cost me about £100 to go 10spd, (shifters & cassette s/h).
    If I could have found a 30t I’d have kept the 9spd kit.

Moda
    Free Member

Be careful with the USA one, with postage and perhaps paying VAT Duty and clearance charges that cog could end up nearer £50

big_scot_nanny

I am fat, but have big hills here (honest!) so run a 20/32 up front (action tech small ring) and 11-34 out the back. Seems about right, rarely spin out off road with 32-11. At the other end, anything lower and I think I would fall over. 😳

pb2

Cheers guys given my fear is not having enough power to get up long climbs and my thinking was a 36 ring out the back would overcome that problem so is the alternative to change the crank chain ring rings to achieve roughly the same result because that would be easier all round for me.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘29er riders – What's your gearing ?’ is closed to new replies.