Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • 29er on the Turbo
  • KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Possibly a stupid question…..

What would / do I need to get my Solaris on the Turbo trainer? Previously I’ve borrowed my dad’s old road bike with a specific tyre fitted but that’s not an option at present.

So can I buy a cheap 29er QR rear wheel, cassette and tyre?

Has anyone else done it?

skellnonch
    Free Member

Put a slick on it or put a road wheel on prob cheaper than getting a 29er wheel

weeksy

I run a standard 29er wheel with a commuter/hybrid tyre on it and the QR skewer that’s specific to the Turbo.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Olly
    Free Member

29er should take a trainer tyre, unless its a stupidly fat rim? I might be inclined to get/build a dedicated wheel to save tyre faff. guess you dont need a brake rotor fitted to it? (though you would need the spacing for the caliper) Gears? you could get a SS dedicated MTB hub, and put a fixed cog on the disk side? flip it around for that “fixed” sensation. Is that even a thing?

thomthumb
    Free Member

Check the cowled dropouts first. My Genesis doesn’t fit.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

OK. Thanks. I was hoping that a 28×1.25 trainer tyre would fit. So I was just going to buy a cheap wheel (Shimano MT15 @ £60) and put a cassette and trainer tyre in it.

Good point. I’ll check whether the Solaris dropouts are OK on the trainer.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Actually would a cheap road wheel and cassette be a better option? Would my current 10 speed KMC chain work with a 10 speed road cassette?

breadcrumb

You’d need the right width hub. IIRC most road hubs are 130mm.

A cheap 29er wheel with a narrow rim would be easier I would of thought.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

I realise now that going the road wheel/cassette route would also mess with rear mech. So perhaps best with 29er wheel and 11-36 cassette.

wiggles
    Free Member

Or just get a tyre and use your existing wheel

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘29er on the Turbo’ is closed to new replies.