Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • 29er geometry – some specific questions about forks/frames and fast handling…
  • Sam

riding long distances in the bush in Oz and basically we had to go fast to get anywhere (like Mt Isa to Birdsville for a weekend

That is a bloody long way – what like nearly 1000k each way for the weekend? On dirt roads? There must have been something pretty special in Birdsville in those days!

epicyclo

Beer 🙂

The place looks much tidier in that pic, and is that a bitumen road now?

The other weekend destination was Townsville to stare at the sea and scantily clad women from the Seaview Hotel. Leave from work at 5pm Friday and aim to arrive back at work for 8am on Monday. It was an easier ride, about 900km each way and only half of it dirt.

clubber
    Free Member

Sam, since you're on…

Does the £420 for the Swift include the fork? Do you sell them without (as I'd like suspension) and if so, how much?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    clubber
    Free Member

Actually, ignore me. Bl00dy STW. I haven't got the cash for it and I'm sure that the Viper is more than capable for starters 🙄

rootes1

This is a cool article from the old days re bicycle stability:

Clicky Click

bit in depth but interesting

Sam

Clubber, yes, the price includes the fork. If you don't need one I can certainly do a bit better. In fact as I have a bit of an excess of XL frames at present, and some old stock, I could perhaps do even better. Drop me a line and perhaps we can work something out. The Viper isn't a bargain if you end up replacing it in 6 months time 😉

Of course there is also this cluttering up the shed…

Ti29er
    Free Member

A month ago I swapped out the RRalf on my front wheel to try a Bonty XDX and was almost caught out by its fast responsiveness.

TooTall
    Free Member

Sam = bad man

😀

If only those XL were a man's XL.

Sam

If only those XL were a man's XL.

They are pretty big – 25.3" ett – longer than the longest Fisher for instance. If you really need bigger I can do it (in Ti) as well. I reckon they suit guys (and girls potentially) up to about 6'6", it just doesn't make sense for me to make production frames any bigger than that.

cynic-al
    Free Member

TooTall – Member
    I mostly take the proverbial given that I just ride bikes cos I likes it – I could care less about stuff because my bikes work for me and thats about all that matters. I do like al being a mardy old man tho – that pleases me.

Ha ha ha, no you don't take yourself seriously at all do you 🙄

clubber
    Free Member

Sam YGM

Macavity
    Free Member
    rOcKeTdOg

shrink that pegasus to L please!

Rorschach
    Free Member
    bigsi
    Free Member

Clubber – The Swift is a fantastic bike and will knock spots off the Viper. I know its steel not alloy and a more expensive frame but if you can strech to one then do 😉

Sam – I might be in touch soon about that crash replacement if you have some XL's kicking around 😕

rOcKeTdOg

What have you done bigsi?

clubber
    Free Member

So RD – did you find the Swift too slack with the 120mm Manitous?

rOcKeTdOg

um…not sure if i'd say slack, just felt too tall at the front somehow, definately not as good as the rigids feel ride height wise

Andy

Swift does ride lovely rigid eh RD?

rOcKeTdOg

it does, but my biceps and forearms now look like popeyes from riding the last few weeks over the concrete like trails with built in hoofprints from the winter

clubber
    Free Member

I did find the rigid on Barney's Swift to be particularly good as far as rigids go (and it's amazing just how much you could see it flexing compared to say the rigid exotics I have on my 26" SS) but it's still a rigid fork and I definitely want suspension on mine as I have nothing to prove 😉

Andy

Yes there it that 😆 Still makes a satisfying change from bouncy bikes. What tyres do you use? I want to go BIG on the front of mine 😀 Oh and a carbon bar helps a bit.

epicyclo

Maybe Sam would like to expound on the art of riding rigid. He's pretty good at it, and the Swift is comfortable as a rigid compared to other bikes.

I often think people who are used to riding with suspension are trying to ride with a death grip when they get on a rigid.

rOcKeTdOg

Bonty XR on the front of mine crossmark on the rear

Agree about the deathgrip 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

I still ride rigid through the winter and in fact started out mtbing rigid back in the day but I just find that trails (at least the ones I ride) flow better with a suspension fork to take out some of the chatter from the front. I don't think that the deathgrip thing is the issue for me at least – certainly I can ride a CX bike with tyres at 85psi pretty quick over bumpy ground 😉

Like I said, I did find the Swift particularly good for rigid but it's still not suspension.

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘29er geometry – some specific questions about forks/frames and fast handling…’ is closed to new replies.