Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • 29’er FS frame. Like early Salsa Spearfish. What alternatives?
  • benz
    Free Member

My good mate is fancying a short travel 29er for xc / easy trail duties.

In an ideal world, something like an early Spearfish.

I have an Anthem 29er which is a possible alternative.

Anything else with 80mm > 100mm rear travel.

He needs a small, so would be happy to consider anything which anyone on here is looking to sell….

Thanks all.

scotroutes

Orbea Oiz would be worth looking at.

Rickos
    Free Member

Trek Top Fuel or Fuel
    Specialized Camber or Epic
    Whyte
    Canyon
    etc. etc. Tonnes of stuff available.

Depends if he wants more racy or more traily style as to what you might want to hone in on. Any clues? I’ve no idea what a Spearfish is like.

teamslug
    Free Member

Cannondale Scalpel. I think over the past few years there were both 80mm and 100mm versions. Very racy shock tuning and geometry though.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Specialized Epic, Scott Spark, Trek Superfly or Top Fuel, Canyon (nerve?, it’s very old school whatever it was). I suspect of that list the Anthem 29er is most likely to be the more budget friendly and abundant secondhand.

FWIW I borrowed an ‘early’ 29er FS a few weeks ago and was surprised how weird it felt. Yes the handling is sharp up front, but the long chain stays make it feel a bit weird changing direction at speed. Longer and slacker front ends really help on 29ers to make them feel balanced (in the same way 650b bikes have grown longer chain stays as front ends have got slacker to the point where most bikes now share similar geometry regardless of wheel size).

I’d be tempted by something a bit newer, but that depends on the type of rider he is. Some people are a bit “princess and the pea” about such things, some people need all the help they can get to not go OTB as soon as they glance at an old school 110mm stem and 71deg HA, and some people are fast pretty much regardless of what bike they’re on. So kinda depends on budget and whether they would notice that a modern XC bike is a good 3deg slacker and couple of inches longer than 10 years ago.

whitestone
    Free Member

This is what the earlier Spearfishes looked like along with geometry – https://geometrygeeks.bike/bike/salsa-spearfish-2015/

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘29’er FS frame. Like early Salsa Spearfish. What alternatives?’ is closed to new replies.