Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • 29er front tyre Question – good volume, fast rolling, tubeless for Crests?
  • DirtyLyle
    Free Member

Finally come to the conclusion Racing Ralphs are crap on the front, even in the dry. Any recommendations for a good, racey, front tyre that will be good on Crests?

carbonfiend
    Free Member

Agreed on Ralph’sl on the front I am currently running Rocket Ron’s much better profile, have to be snakeskin protection though.

jonnyrockymountain

I like my spesh ground control!!!

Clink

eh? In summer 2.4 RR is a great tyre. Maybe a tad wide for a crest though? A wider rim will spread it out more.

parkesie
    Free Member

Im using bonty xr3 on crests and they work well for me.

tom200

Spesh purg 2.3 gets my vote, ground control if you want something a little lighter.

njee20
    Free Member

What don’t you like about Ralphs? Great tyre IMO.

steve_b77
    Free Member

+1 for Bontrager 29-3’s even good enough in mud and very predictable.

rickon
    Free Member

Fast rolling != Lots of grip.

You’re going to have to pick whether you want a grippy front tyre, or something that rolls fast.

A Hans Dampf is a grippy tyre, but compared to a RR is not fast rolling.

Nobby Nics provide more grip than a RR, but faster than a HD, its kind of in between.

Njee’s question is key, what’s the problem with the grip on the RR for you? Cornering, leaning, mud, hard pack?

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

Thanks for the input.
    In fairness the RRs I have are the Pacestar compound. Fine on the back but I find them much too sketchy on the front, especially compared to the Ardent I’m used to running. Would a Trailstar compound make that much difference?

Clink

Can you get a RR in trailster?

As I’ve said before never had a problem in dry conditions with RR.

kuman
    Free Member

Specialized Purgatory control 2.3 is the best front tyre I have ever had.

Stoner
    Free Member

wot clink said. Ive never had a problem on Ralphs (2.4) on the front. I now have Rons as they are lighter though, but would happily go back.

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

I think 2.4 will be a bit chunky on the front. They do 2.2 as well, I guess…

jordie
    Free Member

2.2 Raceking I think they roll better than a Ralph

schmiken

I love a 2.25 Ralph on the front for racing, miles better thasn the Race Kings.

rsvktm

Maxxis ikons have worked well for me, trying an ardent race at the mo. Heavier and not as fast but giving more confidence on rockier courses.

vondally
    Free Member

bontrager 29 3 excellent up front oddly slower as a rear tyre, plus big

Specialized ground contraol faster not as grippy

swanny853

Bit left field, I quite like this-
    link to evans

Seems to roll along quite nicely, but the side knobs mean it corners well enough to have kept it on through the winter. Casing seems a nice balance of toughness and weight.

I’ve been tempted by the summery-er version of it-
    summerier evans tyre link

Don’t get the tubeless ready ones, the normal ones are quite tight enough on crests

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘29er front tyre Question – good volume, fast rolling, tubeless for Crests?’ is closed to new replies.