29er forks, info please?

Home Forum Bike Forum 29er forks, info please?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 29er forks, info please?
  • Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Buying some new forks, my Fox are 3 years old now and arguably the steerer is fractionally too short. Fox are the 32’s with lockout on top of fork leg and have been spot on

Plan is to get a set, send mine to moijo for service then eventually use them in a new build

Planet x have some to suit,m tapered and 15mm

But which to pick, or alternatives?

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/FORSREBRLTSA/rockshox_reba_rlt_solo_air_100mm_29er_fork

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330863621265?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/FORSSIDXX/rockshox_sid_xx_100mm_solo_air

creamegg

I’m looking for some 100mm travel 29er myself, not that many about. Was considering DT Swiss XMM for around £450 ish from a German bike store. The SID’s are also on my shortlist.

I have the reba RLT, and have been really pleased with them. Been on since feb.

Premier Icon vondally
    Subscriber

creamegg what german bike store?

creamegg

In work now so haven’t got much time for a proper look but I think it was these

Works out around £450 to £460 ish depending on exchange rate. P&P extra though.

Edit: I use google translate to help with the German

Premier Icon Alex
    Subscriber

if these are of the same quality as the slants, I’d be tempted: http://www.freeborn.co.uk/x-fusion-slide-rlr-fork-2012 problem is QR not 15mm. I have some 2012 dual air reba’s and they’re fine, but don’t feel as plush as I think they should. Decent fork tho and at the planet-x price good value.

Premier Icon vondally
    Subscriber

cheers creamegg……….decison decisions

creamegg

I’m in the same boat. Can’t decide between the SID’s of DT Swiss. Would have gone DT but LBS said they’re well known for not being reliable. I have no idea if this is true tho. I’m also keeping an eye our for some new 2012 fox forks.

Premier Icon vondally
    Subscriber

intresting though DT were pretty sorted…had 2x Pace one brill never an issue others slightly more care needed………

I have a set on manitou okayish but would like a lighter stiffer (maxle) fork worried sids maybe too flexy for me at 220lbs

Premier Icon Shackleton
    Subscriber

FWIW I’ve been very impressed by my 100mm Manitou Tower Pro 15mm QRs. Stiff, simple and impressively plush for a 100mm fork.

I always found Fox forks to be too divey/linear under braking for my liking when set up for bump smoothing, these seem to have more support/progressive without losing small bump sensitivity. Probably something to do with the “helper” small coil spring in the initial phase of the stroke. All discussed here.

Also has better damping and manners than the RockShox motion control I had in my Rebas but not as good as the blackbox MoCo I have on my 150mm Revelations.

Hope that is of some help.

Premier Icon vondally
    Subscriber

had them for a while the Manitou and still strugle to get it working without diving or being harsh, qr does not feel stiff as maxle okay wheels are hope flows so would think be strudy enough………………

love my fox 36s, maguras durin very stiff d=for 26 120mm qr fork so looking for the magical combo……….am i turning into STW/Hora mindset????/

Premier Icon Shackleton
    Subscriber

Forgot to say I’m 14.5 stone stepping out of the shower with the firm spring in the Manitous at 100mm.

Can’t work out if Vondaly is saying that the Manitous or DTs are divey/harsh but I have to say from my experience that my Manitous are neither! And they are as stiff as a very stiff thing with the 15mm QR. Certainly in my non-scientific wiggle the wheel test between your knees all of the flex at the front is in the spokes/rim/big rubbery flexy tyre.

Premier Icon vondally
    Subscriber

manitous are divey or harsh inmho……..similiar weight to you though so may be they need a service?

15qr do you mean quick realease 9mm or 15mm bolt thru like a amxle?

feisty

I bought some of these a week ago, great forks at £279.99 which is a STONKINGLY good price

Reba RLT

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘29er forks, info please?’ is closed to new replies.