Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 29er fork offset handling question
  • tazzymtb

I’m currently running an old reba 29er fork with the 38mm offset and 80mm travel. Will going to a 100mm travel fork with a larger 47mm offset keep the handling the same(ish) or make it a bit quicker than the short less offset fork

the frame was designed to run a rigid front with a 47mm offset fork if that helps?

god this makes my simple little brain hurt?

epicyclo

It’s all about trail, and offset and headangle are how you get trail.

As you raise the steering head and slacken your headangle you need more offset to achieve the same trail figure.

So maybe it will be ok.

tazzymtb

I’ve run it with 100mm and 38mm offset and it was super stable but a bit of a boat in tight corners, the shorter fork has cured that obviously by making the head angle a bit steeper so what you’ve said makes sense to me

does that mean that an 80mm fork with a 47mm offset will be quicker on the steering

would a fisher style G2 51mm offset fork make it too twitchy do you think?

epicyclo

Anything that reduces trail tends to make the bike, shall we say, more nimble with less tendency to self steer.

But the human body is very adaptable and a week on the new geometry and anything else will feel odd.

tazzymtb

cheers matey, you do realise that if I die in a horrible bike related offset handling disaster I’ll find you and haunt you 😀

epicyclo

I forgot to mention the need to fit a set of these to front and rear wheels

CheesybeanZ

10ml of Absinthe per 5mm of offset pre ride should sort it 😀

tazzymtb

cheesy, that makes me fall off lots……….and see pixies in the woods 😀

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘29er fork offset handling question’ is closed to new replies.