Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • 29er curious
  • zer0cool
    Free Member

So Im still riding 26 inch, and happy with it, but have a bit of an urge for a new bike.
    Over the last few months Ive tried a few hightly regarded bikes, all 27.5, and while they were nicely specced and rode fine, I was almost disappointed not to be blown away by brand new geometry and rave reviews the new bikes with an extra 1.5 inch wheel sized offered.
    Never even been on a 29er trail bike, but wonder if thats what I need to try for a really noticiable difference? Im thinking Jeffsy, or Camber, or any other suggestions welcome/
    Dont mean this to be a wheel size whinge, honest.

jam-bo

I was a bit meh about 650b. Bought a 29er bandit on a bit of a whim and love it.

jekkyl

I scratched that itch about 9 months ago having only ever ridden 26. Built up a 29er and my thoughts were ‘meh’ not any noticably faster and if anything less maneuverable, it’s still a great bike and I enjoy riding but the it’s not any *better*
    Spend your money on better bits for your existing ride?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Not all 29ers (or 27.5ers) are the same…

kayla1
    Free Member

650B is only 12mm or so (half an inch) larger in overall diameter than a 26″ on 2.3s, not 1.5″. That’s partly why you weren’t blown away, it’s not an inbetweener size at all.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

What type of riding do you do? I’d say that xc,trail and dipping into enduro then 29 has this covered the most. Trail into enduro and beyond then the options presented by 650b are probably more plentiful. This is a very basic broad stroke all the same as you will get all types in both wheel sizes. It’s really just one factor.

vincienup
    Free Member

I was blown away by my 650B HT and FS’s coming from a 26er background, but they were substantially newer designs with newer, better parts so not really fair. Probably a brand new, new school geo 26er would have had the same effect on me.

I’ve played with 29ers since after deciding that I should find out about them and I’m liking them too, just differently.

If you have the luxury of having more than one bike it’s easy to enjoy the strengths of different bikes. If you need to only have one good bike then I could see it being more of a question, but the truth is they’re all bikes and the bike you’re riding at any given time is the one you’re most likely to have fun on!

Leku
    Free Member

I’ve just got a Jeffsy 29er having ridden a Yeti 5 for the last 7 years. Demoed several 650Bs (Bird, Cotic, Wyte) but none felt different / better enough to justify the cost.
    Faster of every trail I’ve tried and happy with the decision.

hybridbikers
    Free Member

Are you completely new to mountain biking and having confused about all the different options available nowadays? If so, don’t think & hesitate, you’re not the only one. In the past few years, there’s been an explosion of different options, designs, sizes etc. for a rider to choose from when deciding which mountain bike is best for him or her. There’s hard tail, full suspension, 26″, 27.5″, 650b, 29er among a whole other list of options, and we know that making the right choice can be a rather difficult and confusing decision.

Leku
    Free Member

[/url]IMG_1991 by 100%of thetime60%ofthetime, on Flickr[/img]

chiefgrooveguru

650B is only 12mm or so (half an inch) larger in overall diameter than a 26″ on 2.3s, not 1.5″.

No, it’s 25mm or 1″ bigger than 26. And 29 is 63mm or 2.5″ bigger than 26, not 3″.

kayla1
    Free Member

Ah, my mistake… 😳 It’s still bot-all difference once you take different tyres into account though.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

It’s a big difference . I work in a bike shop and when we first got 29er demo bikes virtually everybody who took one out bought one . Faster , more grip , corner better and descend better were the usual comments . Possibly not for everybody but if you are looking for a new bike you owe it to yourself to try one .

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Got a 29er hard tail and a 27.5 full suss. 27.5 feels a lot like 26, 29er on a hardtail feels like cheating. Extra roll over and grip really noticeable.

edhornby

I went 26 to 29 and i love the way it just seems to carry momentum. If you are a wheels on the ground (mostly!) kind of rider then I’d recommend big wheels

However the geo of bikes has changed too, my niner is longer and a bit slacker and feels more stable, this is much of a change as the hoop size

molgrips
    Free Member

29 makes a big difference on rocky trails and on those rocky technical climbs it’s huge.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

29er HT to start with, smashed times and loved the stability, faster up and down. Got a 29er Enduro for big stuff and love it. Fast, stable, “more get out of jail free”.

chestrockwell

I went from 26″ to 29″ just for a change. Wouldn’t go back, 29ers are ace and 26″ (Still have some older bikes) just feels tiny.

For me 29″ is better 95% of the time. Demo a few and see what you think. They are rapid.

13thfloormonk

Nothing much to add except +1 for trying a 29er and never looking back.

Bought a Trek Superfly and was genuinely delighted how fast it cornered, how nimble it was, even how easily I could pick up the front wheel. For the sort of ‘slightly old school’ XC sort of riding I prefer it’s an absolute no-brainer. Even the blue pumpy trails at Comrie Croft felt dangerously fast…

thegerminator
    Free Member

Just built up an intense spyder 140 front 130 rear as a
    lightweight bike for the scott mtb marathon series.
    Normally have the luxury of the trusty turner burner
    or the nomad for the gnarmincecore :D, but jesus what
    a weapon, totally blown away by how great an all round
    bike it is, as always blag a few test rides if you can.

whitestone
    Free Member

Having never been on anything but 26″ wheeled MTBs I demoed a 29er and a 650b bike. The 29er was completely different but I couldn’t tell much if any difference between the 650b and my 26″ bike.

Euro
    Free Member

I was in the same boat 6 months ago. Had/have a fantastic 26 (Stumpy Evo) but felt it was time for a new bike. I couldn’t bring myself to spend big on a bike that was just slightly different so ignored 650b altogether and looked into 29ers (being rather tall also swayed my decision). Ended up with a RocketMax and couldn’t believe how much better it was at almost everything. Despite having less gears and being a few lbs heavier it was faster and less tiring uphill. Faster on singletrack, faster on DH trails, faster and easier on crappy surfaces. Just faster everywhere. If does feel like cheating sometimes and I wish i’d got one sooner. Only area it drops points is jumping, where it takes a bit more effort to chuck about.

I didn’t test ride any bikes i’d shortlisted but I recommend adding it to your list.

Look how lovely it is…

zer0cool
    Free Member

Thanks for all the input. My riding is mostly singletrack, around the woods and XC, nothing too extreme. Will be looking into some of your suggestions for sure. Still happy with my bike, but just fancy something new soon, and if Im laying out a couple of grand want to have a wow feeling when I get on it that I havent got yet off the 27.5s.

z1ppy

Add the Whyte T-129 to you list of demo bikes to try, oldie (regularly updated though) but a goodie

chestrockwell

Mine is a Orange Segment btw and had a 5 29 before that. Well worth considering.

crashrash

I converted a couple of years ago – first with the hardtail where there is a major advantage, then bought a T129RS, which is fabulous, specially on the downs and seriously quick. Quite a surprise to find myself (at 49) as KOM on Strava on a number of local runs. My best mate is still on a 26, has greater skills and bigger gonads and can’t get close at the moment! Go ride one.

Poopscoop

To OP.

Gone from a fs 26er to a Jeffsy 29er I built up from a second hand frame.

I deliberately skipped 27.5 as I just didn’t think there would be any tangible difference. To me anyway…

Anyway, the Jeffsy just felt so right from the first shakedown ride.

I can genuinely say that any future bikes I build will be 29ers.

Sorry to sound like an advert. To me it’s just that 29ers make such sense and personally I really like the benefits a 29er wheeled bike brings. 😉

stevedoc
    Free Member

Its save to say ive had a few bikes .. Five 26″ , Whyte G150 P7 Crush and Five all 650b , and now ride an Alpine five 29er while the original 26 inch five has got to be one of the most confidence inspiring bikes ive ever ridden nothing comes close to the roll over speed and sheer momentum on the Alpine 5 ,

I suggest balls out and go Stage 5 whats money ? 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Simple plan is go ride sone bikes and worry about wheels size when you buy tyres. Demo what you can and the best bikes will feel good

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

What Mike says. Basing a bike choice on wheel size alone is bonkers.

philjunior
    Free Member

Try a few 29ers. I built up a do it all hardtail 29er and the worst thing about it is that my 26er big fs bike is only better at really rocky stuff or rescuing me from questionable landings.
    The traction really is very good, it rolls faster, and it’s great fun.

Poopscoop

Wasn’t my only criteria, wheel size. It was an important one though. To me anyway as I consider it to fundamentally change some characteristics of a bike. Just as frame geometry etc does.

That said, to be honest I also just wanted a change. Having only rode 26″ bikes since the 90’s and being faced with either a new (to me) bike with 650b or 29″ I went for the larger wheel size. The benefits on paper made sense and I went with it.

For me at least it worked out even better than I’d hoped.

For others it might not.

Enjoy whichever bike/wheel size you end up buying OP. 🙂

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘29er curious’ is closed to new replies.