Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 29er Commuting Tyres ?
  • scruff
    Free Member

Looking for some tyres to go on my hardtail-
    Continuous centre or nearly continuous with some tread on the side
    Tubeless with sealant
    2.0 to 2.2 ish
    Dont need to be reinforced like touring tyres
    90% road / cyclepath / gravel / towpath
    Schwalbe Hurricanes look the ticket but not classed as tubeless, not sure how modern none tubeless tyres are with leaking sealant/ bead strength
    Currently have Spesh Fasttracks and there a bit too grippy for what I need.
    Had a few sets of WTB TCS tyres and they leaked sealant and were a PITA to install and remove.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

https://www.merlincycles.com/schwalbe-marathon-supreme-folding-touring-tyre-28-1-233093.html for £31 each, I’ve had the 40mm and 35mm on my commute hybrid for almost a year, been great for tarmac with light offroad.

Don’t know if they are officially tubeless though.

oceanskipper

So, I was looking at those very tyres for my 29 wheels but they only come in a 28 version – will they fit?

ton

schwalbe big bens. running mine tubless on the fargo. been good on and offroad all summer.

djflexure

I use Pirelli Cinturato 45mm for commute, canals and also bit of cyclocross.
    Run tubeless very easily – not had a problem in 2 years or so
    They have been around the Dirty Reiver and occasional winter road group rides too.
    There are a couple of tread patterns; I have the continuous centre – think they call it the gravel M

dyna-ti

Im using schwalbe marathon plus mtb on the Ebike. Quite knobbly, with  a continuous central thingy.29″x 2.35″

https://www.schwalbe.com/en/tour-reader/marathon-plus-mtb.

If you really need tubeless, Marathon almotion i believe are for that.

scruff
    Free Member

@oceanskipper 700/28/29 all fit the same wheelsize, bonkers.

tom7044

The marathon almotion have been great so far for me as no nonsense commuting tyres set up tubeless and up to 3.5k with no bother so far
    Previously had g one slicks and then 50mm gravelkings which were OK as tubeless on road but both suffered tyre wall damage on rocky forest roads which sealant couldn’t fix at about half that mileage.
    Those both provide grip by nobbles sticking off a lightweight tyre but the almotion are grooves in a thick tyre if that makes sense. Not quite as grippy on mud but much more robust and just as good on other surfaces.

rstephenson
    Free Member

I have a pair of vittoria terrenos for sale in 2.25 if you’re interested

oceanskipper

@scruff – cheers. Yes that is bonkers. What’s the point of selecting 29″ as the wheel size on say, the Schwalbe website, and it then doesn’t offer you any of the 28s as possible fitting…

dyna-ti

The marathon almotion have been great so far for me as no nonsense commuting tyres set up tubeless and up to 3.5k with no bother so far.

I’ve had Marathon Almotion on the 26er and have to say they can be a bit front end sketchy cornering in the wet.

tjagain

28 is what the continentals call what wr call 29

Personally i dont like marathons. No grip. Ill sacrifice longevity for grip.

Conti travel contacts are my go to tyre for mixrd riding

geomickb
    Free Member

Like others have said. Marathons are the answer, I wouldn’t consider anything else for commuting. Mine have been on since around 2016!
    I don’t have a problem with grip (unless road is covered in ice and it’s hard to walk on). I have occasionally MTBed with them. I’m not tubeless and not sure that they are compatible?
    I’m still using them 5 days a week for the 2 mile school run.

https://www.schwalbe.com/en/mtb-reader/marathon-plus-mtb

droplinked

Marathons are very puncture resistant, but I don’t like how heavy or harsh they feel. I found Big Ben’s with green guard the best for slicks on a 29er. Good comfort and rolling speed. Didn’t run either tubeless.

I’ve been commuting on WTB Rangers for the last two years and they have been fantastic. Lighter than Big Ben’s, far more comfortable, pretty fast rolling for a small block tyre, good grip off road, and fairly light, went up easily tubeless. Not one puncture either commuting through glass riddled urban paths. Done around 2000km on this pair.

jameso

I have a pair of vittoria terrenos for sale in 2.25 if you’re interested

I’ve been using these for mixed terrain bikepacking and day rides on a 29er, impressed. Really fast tyres on road and reliable off-road as long as it’s dry.

oceanskipper

Anyone tried the Almotion Schwalbe tyres? They seem to have a good weight and really good RR if you run them tubeless…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.