29er better option than hybrid?

Home Forum Bike Forum 29er better option than hybrid?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 29er better option than hybrid?
  • Mr_Krabbs

going to buy a new bike and need it in the main for commuting, was looking at hybrids (hence the threads about c’dale badboys), as having previously owned road bikes i don’t find the positioning very comfortable, I have just started looking at the 29ers, in particular the gary fisher paragon and x caliber. I’m wondering if these might even be a better option than the hybrid as the position on the bike will be similar to my mtb, the spec seems better than the bad boy and i’d still have the benefits of big wheels and the option to take a detour off road on the way home should the sun be shining.

what do you reckon?

Premier Icon ton
    Subscriber

thought about 2nd hand
    29r specificaly.
    what size do you ride..

MrSalmon

Depends on the amount of offroad stuff you see yourself doing I guess. I reckon it’ll be noticeably worse as a tarmac/canal path commuter but if you’re not in a hurry and don’t mind getting muddy then obviously it’ll do it and the rough stuff to boot.

Mr_Krabbs

well it’s 6 flat miles on road to work, but on nice days i’d be taking the off road route which is around 15 miles. if i got the hybrid i guess i would just take my singlespeed in on the days i planned to ride off road. i suppose i just don’t find road bikes or road going bikes that interesting. I like the look of the 29ers, and i can see myself getting more use out of a 29er, but i’m not really sure i need another mtb. the idea of getting a hybrid was that i don’t have a road bike and don’t really fancy riding 12 flat road miles a day on a singlespeed.

Premier Icon speaker2animals
    Subscriber

To me the advantage that a 29er like either of the Fishers, offers is that you have the choice of fitting 700c road tyres for fast commuting or full width knobblies for off-roading or something in between like a CX tyre. Not sure how the hybrids you have in mind will be for fitting full on knobblies. A bad boy could be ok as I think they are based on MTB frames anyhow.

As for spec, Cannondale have never been overly good spec wise at a given price point as they spend money on the frames. Still made in USA I think.

There was a nice Fisher Steel 29er last year and I have seen em in sales for about a Grand. How much are the Paragon and X-Caliber?

Mr_Krabbs

paragon is £1350 and x-caliber is £1150. there isn’t enough clearance to fit bigger tyres on the badboy. i wasn’t sure if you could fit road tyres to a 29er (more because of the width not the diameter).

Sam

Yes, you can fit road tyres to a 29er, the rims are the same diameter. Depending which rims you use you may be limited to relatively wide road tyres ~32mm or so.

Premier Icon NZCol
    Subscriber

My 29er easily lets me keep up with the roadies on the way to work – it’ll chop along at 33/34kmh no worries with no a whole heap of effort. Then on the way home i go offroad 🙂

Mr_Krabbs

i’m sold! 29er it is.

AdamM

Mr Krabbs, perhaps consider a fully rigid 29er rather than suspension forks? Still brilliant off road but a bit lighter for the road commuting and it’s then more ‘different’ to your existing mountain bikes, which is always a good thing. Suspension forks also make a commuting bike look more ‘nickable’ in my opinion so that may be another reason for avoiding if you have to lock it up on the street?

Singular Swift, perhaps? Or On One? Either would build into a really nice rigid 29er for under a grand, but you’d have the option of suspension at some point in the future.

Just a thought…

keavo

flat 8 miles to work takes me 24min (average) on my road bike with training tyres on. takes 26min (average) on a rigid 29er with tubeless offroad tyres. i’d happily ride the same 29er on any trails of any difficulty, so it is very versatile. those fishers look great value for money too.

father

Of course what you really need is a cyclocross bike.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

I’m thinking the only difference between my Kona Dew and a 29er is tyre clearance… And the chainset it came with.

Mr_Krabbs

got the Paragon. It’s chuffing quick on the road, even with knobbly tyres. Gonna get out on it this weekend to see how it is on the dirt.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘29er better option than hybrid?’ is closed to new replies.