Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • 29er and wide bars 780mm….benefits?
  • vondally
    Free Member

Any merits to have a wide bar on 29ers? Is it that much more advantageous over a 710 bar?

jonba
    Free Member

I would doubt the wheels size makes any difference so the benefits are the same as 26er.

As for the correct width it is probably a personal thing. Going from 650 to 710 did make a difference for me. However the improvements in handling and control need to be offset by the fact that you’ll struggle to get between obstacles as you go wider and they’ll be heavier. Also it may eventually become uncomfortable if the riding position is arse up head down. Personally when racing I prefer narrower bars but for general riding I have 710 since they were typical “wide” bars when I bought mine.

vondally
    Free Member

thought process as such is

29er slightly less manverouable in tight stuff, so

wider bars more control
    thin tyres more manverourability

poor speeling sorry 😆

mikewsmith
    Free Member

How wide are you shoulders, seems to be the main thing for me. Whats wide for some is narrow for others

mattjg
    Free Member

you’ll find wide bars give you better balance on slow-techy, but wheel size is not directly a factor

I do ride 29ers with wide bars, but I don’t think they are related. I just like wide bars.

takisawa2

I found that the larger wheel resisted turning more due to gyroscopic effect, & the extra leverage helps overcome this.
    This could be a load if tosh though.

Shorter stem & steeper head angle seem to have same effect.

Either way, I prefer my 680mm bars. Tried them Sunnline scaffold pole ones but not for me.

mattjg
    Free Member

go wide, try them for a good few rides, then cut down if not happy

bear in mind if you go wider you’ll also need a shorter stem, if you want equivalent fit to your current set up

I’ve gone 660 -> 725 -> 750 -> 785 -> 800, each time thinking I’ll cut them back if I need, I never have. I can’t imagine riding < 750 now, for any application.

I find steering with wide bars much more about flicking and pressure on the bar ends and balance, than actually ‘steering’ left/right like a tiller. That in turn helps crank the bike over and into the corner.

takisawa2

Do you find your clipping trees at all ?
    I was pitched off once, quite badly & I’m always wary of clipping trees now.

mattjg
    Free Member

Once in a blue moon, certainly not enough to cancel the handling benefits, and I ride plenty of forest. Looking where you’re going helps I find 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

take the odd fingertip slap on 760’s now and again but you do soon learn how to avoid it

mattjg
    Free Member

one thing is I use the Superstar Size Zero grips with solid end caps, they’re quite wide and push your hands in a good few mm anyway, but the full width is available if you need it

wide bars are great for SS climbing out of the saddle too

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Shimano Pro Koryak Moutain Bike Grips I got these to let you use every last mm of the bars 🙂 couple with some Hope Bar Plugs

chunkypaul
    Free Member

thin tyres more manverourability

lol

vondally
    Free Member

well spotted chunky paul…………..reread Dirts review of th e orange 29er and thats more or less what they said…………………

mattjg
    Free Member

Watch ya gonna do Vondally?

Alex

780s on my 29er, 760s (now having cut down from 780s) on my FS. Love the long flat bar on the 29er, just feels right. Rode about 350k with 780mm bars on my rocket and finally cut them down. It may only be a inch – fnar – and it may be placebo but glad I did.

When Is started riding 560mm seems to be about right 😉 With bar ends…

mindmap3
    Free Member

Like others have said, I doubt wheel size comes into it.

I’m a wide bar convert and run Answer 780’s on my big bike and the same bars cut down to 760 on my BFe. I don’t really have any major issues with trees although there are two spits that cause me the odd trouble on my local trails but I can live with it. I have found that I’m destroying grips quicker though.

steve_b77
    Free Member

730 & 736 on my 29’ers, they seem to work just nicely

vondally
    Free Member

780s on round theblock and a mile ride to daughters……………..wide possibly fun

run 710 carbon havens usually but these780s do feel big matched with a 45mm stem

now to tyres…………………………………..

mattjg
    Free Member

^^ you really find cutting 10mm off each end makes a difference/is worth the bother?

mattjg
    Free Member

780s on round theblock and a mile ride to daughters……………..wide possibly fun

don’t rush to a conclusion, give it a few rides

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I reckon 710’s about as wide as I like for XC, got wide bars on the pitch and they’re great, but they do feel heavy and unwieldy after a few hours. And they do get stuck between trees!

vondally
    Free Member

oh intend to give a few rides before i committ

JCL
    Free Member

29er slightly less manverouable in tight stuff

I’m so over this garbage myth. They’re more stable not less maneuverable. To unsettle the stability for a turn (which is what you have to do on any two wheeled vehicle) you have to put in more input in than something that is already less stable like the average 26″ trail bike.

Wider bars will help with this just as they do on other bikes with lots of stability, like DH bikes.

mattjg
    Free Member

well said JCL, in fact my old Soul pinged off anything put in its path, I couldn’t keep the damn thing where it was pointed. I don’t call that manoeuvrability.

anyway … we digress … wide bars good narrow bars bad

vondally
    Free Member

good description JCL hence the thoughts to go upto 780mm

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘29er and wide bars 780mm….benefits?’ is closed to new replies.