• This topic has 15 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by momo.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 29er/27+ swappists – what forks do you run?
  • submarined
    Free Member

I’m desperately trying not to buy a new frame for another niche. Part of this is around fork choice – so, when people have bikes that they swap between the above, what forks do they choose to suit? Boost 27.5s, or 29ers?

I was looking at a Transmitter, with the intention of running 27.5+, but there are a few cheap 29er forks that would fit my purposes at the mo.

lovewookie

all about axle to crown. 29er forks will be slightly longer for the same travel.27.5+ forks should be OK with 29er tyres, but you may struggle with fat (2.5) 29er tyres for height under the brace.

Boost forks will most likely be fine with 27.5+, rockshox recon/reba non boost 29er forks will cope with 27.5 2.8″ nobby nics too.

there are quiet a few threads on MTBR about distance between the fork seals, often the narrowest part of the fork and what tyres fit.

I’d go for 29er boost to be on the safe side.

nemesis
    Free Member

As above, it doesn’t really matter boost or not – I’ve used QR and boost with b+ and 29er and really it makes no difference other than what actually fits the frame.

Currently my plus bike is boost (fork is a RS reba boost or a rigid boost fork) so that’s what I use (29er wheels are non-boost so using them with adapters)

For the forks, the key is having clearance for b+ – that will typically be a fork that can take both b+ and 29er wheels but most of the newer, bigger clearance forks are coming as boost.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cjr61

Boost 29 Revs here.  Do everything I need and I’m not fussed about a slightly longer A2C.  Gives me the option of more skinny 2.4 29er tyres anytime.

#FatFun

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I’ve used a 29er Marz 320 LCR Carbon, 29er X-Fusion Slide and 29/650b+ X-Fusion McQueen (Boost).

Both 29er forks were 51mm offset and would take a 2.8″ 650b+ tyre. The McQueen has a 46mm offset and takes a 650b+ 3″ tyre as well as a 2.4″ 29er tyre.

All forks were/are 120mm travel.

Other than being a great fork, the shorter offset on the McQueen noticeably improved wheel ‘flop’ and low-speed handling on the bike (67-ish degree head angle hardtail).

Northwind

I did it with a set of non-boost 36s, they had plenty of room for a 3.0 Nobby Nic. I trial fitted them into non-boost Pikes and they did fit but the flare at the bottom of the arch was right where the tyre was widest so it was seriously tight.

Which proves Boost is horseshit, all it needed was some changes in crown shape that could have been done with standard spacing, but that’s by the by… These days if I was getting a new fork to do plus in I’d most probably go boost just because that’s where they made the change. and it’s obvious that normal forks are on the way out

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Which proves Boost is horseshit…

Does it? I thought Boost was based more around wider axles to make for better wheel triangulation.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

i thought we were all running the 29er fox 34 rhythm off that german discount bike shop

£190 delivered, i’m running 27.5×2.8 but plan to get 29er 2.4 wheels

vincienup
    Free Member

I’m running Yari boost 29/27.5+ forks.

vincienup
    Free Member

Last I looked a couple of weeks ago the German 34 Rhythms had gone up considerably to more like €450-550 which is probably what they should cost in Fox price scales…

richP

I use RS Sid boost (29/27.5+ model) for xc racing and riding.

Light with good clearance, I’ve run 3.0″ in 27.5 (rocket ron) and 29 (chupacabra) in mine.

Think the reba boost use a very similar lower so should give the same clearance.

chrismac

I have a set of non boost revelation 29er forks in mine. The frame was designed as a 29er frame so the geo stays right and then put the + wheels in

The back end gets a little tight with 2.8 Nobby Nics in but its all good.

whitestone
    Free Member

I had Fusion Sweeps (or whatever their 29er fork is) and while the clearance at the fork seals was tight it was OK so long as I didn’t run the plus tyres at too low a pressure

frogstomp

Boost 29s here.. Pikes and Revelations.

smogmonster

Fox Float Performance 27.5+ Boost forks here, run both 2.8 650b+ tyres and also a set of Nobby Nics 2.3 on 29er wheels. Still a good cm either side between tyre and fork crown. Probably manage a 2.4 or 2.5 at a push if required.

momo

34 rhythm on the HT, 36 on the FS, both in 29er boost flavour. Plenty of room for 27.5×3

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘29er/27+ swappists – what forks do you run?’ is closed to new replies.