Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • 29er Singlespeed Frame?
  • notmyrealname
    Free Member

I’m looking for a singlespeed 29er frame for a build.
    It needs to be reasonably priced, as much as I like the Niner frames, they’re a bit pricey!

So far the only one I’ve found for a reasonable price is the 29er Inbred for £130

tazzymtb

what size do you want, i know a man selling a salsa selma for silly money and there’s a chumba hx2 in the classifieds and they’re ace bikes

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I’ll need a large.

mattjg
    Free Member

Buy the Selma if it looks OK.

Alternatively my medium Swift with forks, if you are near Surrey and can collect.

A friend has the Inbred and likes it. Geo is near identical to the Swift.

pedalgogue
    Free Member

Depend what you mean by reasonable. I think my £400 singular swift frame and fork with ebb was more than reasonable given how good it feels, frame quality, finish, etc. Much better than the £130 on-one I tried which felt like gas pipe filled with lead in comparison. I’d have felt robbed paying that for the on-one especially as you would need forks too.

Fishbone
    Free Member

My Chumba any good to you, I’m 6ft and it is spot on size wise. It’s nearly as good as new.
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-chumba-hx2-frame-29er

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I’m not too keen on a frame with an EBB, I’d prefer something with horizontal drop-outs.

mattjg
    Free Member

back to the Inbred then!

khani
    Free Member

El Mariachi’s from Triton cycles are on offer at the moment..
    The swingy dropouts are ace!.. 😀

tazzymtb

I’m not too keen on a frame with an EBB,

gosh. having used paragon sliding dropout, slot dropouts and EBB for years, EBB everytime for me. The days of creaky, squeaky bundles of cack are well gone.

mattjg
    Free Member

On my third bike with an EBB, they work fine for me. Why write them off?

jfeb
    Free Member

+1 for EBB

Smuzzy
    Free Member

Karate Monkey!

johnnystorm

I wasn’t keen on EBBs having heard the various tales. Having had a swift the ebb is far better than the horizontal dropouts I’m used to.

takisawa2

Charliethebikemonger has 18″ & 20″ El-Mariachi’s at £350 at the moment.
    You could do a lot worse…

Inbreds not quite a lead filled old dog to ride. I quite liked mine.
    For £130 its worth a go, plus you’ll get most of your money back if you do move on to something betterer.

charliedontsurf

Salsa el mariachi…. Triple butts of steely kick arse…

http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/salsa-el-mariachi-29er-frame-644-p.asp

Or I have Canfield nimble nine on offer in large . Email me…

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I have an el mariachi, (not for sale)

Best off the peg singlespeed frame I’ve tried.

I’d have probably bought a Selma if there was any at the time big enough though,

takisawa2

Would have probably gone for the Salsa instead of my SIR.9, had they been available.

placid_casual
    Free Member

El Mariachi SS here too (and this looks like another opportunity for a gratuitous picture).
    It is great to ride and beautiful to look at. Proper SS too, no spare braze-ons.
    Do you have the same Shep?

Salsa El Mariachi Singlespeed by placid casual, on Flickr

More pics here

oxym0r0n

+1 for el m. I got a cheap one from triton and found someone selling colour matched forks – it’s been out more than my Solaris recently 😳

khani
    Free Member

What’s nice about the Salsa is how easy it is to adjust the dropouts and how easy it is to remove the wheel, takes seconds…

Mines a geared one which does SS as well, if you don’t like the dangly bit you can get the SS dropout for £25.
    The El M 2 is a 44mm headtube so can take tapered forks as well
    Very versatile frame, gears, SS, rigid, bouncy forks, all good..

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I’ve been having a bit of a read up on some of the frames and I quite like the looks of the El Mariachi.

I think that might be the most suitable frame for me, it seems to tick all the right boxes!

PJay
    Free Member

A Pipedream Skookum might be worth a look. It has sliding dropouts that can be fitted with horizontal ones.

bentudder

Try the On-One Scandal V2 swapout. They’re £149, weigh a load less than the InBred, and are really rather nice. I’m the other end of the size spectrum, by the way.

Singular use a Phil Wood EBB – the one on my Hummingbird has bee silent, flawless and generally spot on for almost three years now, with zero maintenance. There are benefits and drawbacks to all tensioning methods, of course…

mattjg
    Free Member

@placid_casual, nice pic. A friend of mine has one of those (the other in the country probably!), it got nicked, recovered and languishes in his shed unloved now. Dig the glittery grips!

StefMcDef
    Free Member

tazzymtb – Member

what size do you want, i know a man selling a salsa selma for silly money and there’s a chumba hx2 in the classifieds and they’re ace bikes

OP, if you can get a Selma frame for silly money, and it fits, go for it.

Superb frame. Very light and supple. Not a hint of trouble out of the EBB either.

mattjg
    Free Member

I’ve had my Selma 3 weeks now courtesy of a tipoff from Taz, it rocks. I got a PR on some local singletrack the other day on it, despite (perhaps because) it being set up SS rigid. Faster than my 20 speed 120mm HT, faster than my 27 speed full boinger!

They’re discontinued, I’d buy another for stock if I came across one. If anyone has a medium going hit me up.

Taz are you meaning the one someone put on 1Cog a couple of weeks ago? (Which was a large I believe).

mattjg
    Free Member

Salsa, hear this: make some more Scandium Selmas!

IanW
    Free Member

Loving that el mariachi SS, are they available?

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Do you have the same Shep?

No I have the black frame in charlie’s post.

Built it up with parts left over after my Pace died. Really pleased. The only downside is how low the front end is. So i have to run about 50mm spacers.

placid_casual
    Free Member

No I have the black frame in charlie’s post.

I was wondering how many of the 300 worldwide, 2013 singlespeeds had ended up in the UK?

The only downside is how low the front end is. So i have to run about 50mm spacers.

About 30mm here. More than I’d like

Loving that el mariachi SS, are they available?

Yep. Speak with Charlie or Tim depending on how far north you are.
    If you do get one, let me know where and when you’ll be riding it as I’d hate to meet another on the trail…

MrTall
    Free Member

Triton have a 20″ Karate Monkey on offer at £259.

Non ebb and slider dropouts and he price Los includes the rigid forks.

ska-49
    Free Member

Matt- email sent to you about the swift.

mattjg
    Free Member

ska ygm, ta.

MSP

How about a santa cruz highball aluminium. They come with geared dropouts as standard, but a singlespeed dropout is also available.

oxym0r0n

More El Mariachi Love-in (now that I am back home and can post photos (bars now rotated back a bit)

El M by oxym0r0n, on Flickr

Sunrise by oxym0r0n, on Flickr

Tempted by the SS dropout, but you hardly notice the hanger or the braze-ons for gears

jambo13
    Free Member

Just got myself one of these:

http://www.cannondale.com/2013/bikes/mountain/hardtail-29er/trail-sl-29er/trail-sl-29er-3-ss

Bought last year’s model for £499 from Mountain Trax in Barkham, they still have a large in stock I think. This years is only £599 though.

Cracking bike, and amazing value. Only turd thing on there was the brakes that I swapped immediately for a set of hydraulics I already had.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘29er Singlespeed Frame?’ is closed to new replies.