• This topic has 26 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by wzzzz.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • 29+ Surly Krampus…or similar?
  • cjr61

Tried 29+ front and fancy the whole shebang.

Thought of a Singular Rooster (as like Singular) but thinking for trail riding, bombing around the Krampus is better suited as the Rooster is more mile munching?

Any opinions welcome but I’m aware that your bike (as is mine) is the best!

Stay well
    Chris

big_scot_nanny

had one, sliding dropouts made live a misery so I sold it a few months after buying.

29+ back and front is a amazing fun though, I just run 29+ wheels in a fat bike frame.

cjr61

Thanks @big_scot_nanny out of interested what axle width/hub size were you using?

Cheers

BillOddie

I had a Krampus and it was good fun until it got stolen…

I didn’t have an issue with the sliding dropouts but I did have the axle slammed all the way forward.  I did have some chain line issues with it as the chain would rub the tyre in the lowest gear.

One thing that would worry me is 29+ tyre availability but I guess worst case you can 2.6 in 4 years time…

big_scot_nanny

hiya,

on the Krampus, it was whatever hub width was standard for that frame (cannot remember, was a loooong time ago I had it!).

Fat bike is 150mm front and 197mm rear.

james-rennie

I’ve read somewhere (probably here) that the Stooge bikes are quite krampus-like

addy6402

Stooges are great but a little tight at the rear for 3″ plus mud clearance, unless you can find a used Speedball. I have a Dirtbomb with 2.6’s and it’s cool. The MK5 is due to land very soon – there may be the odd frame spare…

boxwithawindow
    Free Member

Modern krampus is gnot-boost so either 142×12 or 148×12 boost or 135mm with adapters.

OG green krampus is 135 QR but I reccomend running 135 bolt up.

You should definitely buy a krampus over a stooge for trail smashing duties, I’ve owned a krampus for 5 years and love it to death. I also have a stooge and it’s amazing too however you cant run a suspension fork and that is when the krampus really comes into its own on the rowdy stuff.

At the moment my krampus has a rigid carbon fork but I also have a 130mm fox 32 for it and when shredding the descents it’s an absolute riot.

tuboflard

Rooster is very capable as a general trail bike, more conservative geometry than a Stooge I think (don’t quote me) but I use mine for lots of local riding round the eastern Peak. Currently set up with 2.8’s but will put Minion 3.0’s on it in a couple of weeks for the perfect winter singlespeed.

Rooster

cjr61

Thanks all, really appreciate the advice.

I’ve got a Yari 29+ that would definitely suit the Krampus.

Excellent.

Any other options above a Krampus?

RustySpanner

A Wednesday and a spare pair of wheels?

I would……

dovebiker

I love 29+ as a format – just steam roller your way through everything, great for bike packing too – this is my “summer” fatbike. Geometry based on a Krampus but with non-suspension fork. I also like it, because it just looks silly with huge wheels and tiny frame. Did a SDW overnighter on it with some mates – them on full-sus MTB – I would drop them on the downhills in the dark because it is so stable at high speed – 70km/hr down Butser in the dark

cjr61

Should I be concerned at the apparent lack of 29+ tyres about? Or is it likely just a Brexit/Pandemic issue that will improve?

ajantom

Do it 😎 love my Krampus.
    I did think to sell it when I bought my MK4 Stooge, but it’s enough of a different beast, that I still enjoy riding both.

I’d disagree boxwithawindow though, as my Stooge is great for trail duties too. I’ve taken it down various Quantocks/Triscombe downhill trails (was a bit scary in places!)

The Krampus is maybe a bit more versatile though, as you can fit Sus forks.
    I’ve never had issues with the horizontal dropouts either, though I’ve always used a chaintug and a Hope hub with bolts not QR.

tuboflard

Should I be concerned at the apparent lack of 29+ tyres about? Or is it likely just a Brexit/Pandemic issue that will improve?

29 x 3.0, possibly. Though I got hold of Minion DHR and DHF reasonably easily a year ago. The 2.8’s I’ve currently got on are just as good IMO, almost as much volume but much quicker rolling. And very easy to get. So I reckon if you’re ok with 2.8’s you’ll be fine for the foreseeable future.

40mpg

Just so you know what you’ll be missing 😏

TheBrick
    Free Member

Where is the +line / cut off?

abingham

Just so you know what you’ll be missing 2…

Although mine’s running B+ so not relevant to this thread at all, but in true STW style it’s an excuse to show off my bike innit.

Stooge

ajantom

Just looking and both of Vittoria’s 29 x 3.0 tyres are avaliable.

Vittoria Bombolini for £29.99

Vittoria Cannoli for £32.99

big_scot_nanny

It’s mostly possible to find tires, they ain’t cheap though.

Minion DHF/R a superb combo, but Bontrager XR4s also extremely good https://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/bontrager-xr4-29×300-team-issue-tlr-mtb-tyre

I’ve got Bombolini’s for lighter touring duties – they are fast and very light. I liked Chronicles, shame no longer made, as a summer tire they are awesome, but thin carcass so no good on rocks.

I think there will continue to be options, 29+ a niche but seems to be continue to be served.

swavis

I’ve just fitted a Bombolini to the front of my Mk1 Longitude, very impressed so far. I may have to stock up…

faustus

Good price for the vittoria tyres!

cjr61

Some good tyre options then.

Are the Bombolini’s good all round riding tyres for trails or would the Cannoli’s be more sensible?

Thanks all

swavis

I took a Minion DHF off to try the Bombolini, it’s proving ok so far. Need to try it in some proper gloop though.

onehundredthidiot

Mrs 100th has a med krampus that truly has barely been ridden 100miles. She’s selling it this winter.

cjr61

* Stealth * Anyone got an XL Krampus for sale? Or something else tasty and 29+ in XL? * stealth *

wzzzz
    Free Member

Duro crux is a monster

Surly dirt wizards

Stooge MK5 is due in imminently, be quick when they do show on the website!

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘29+ Surly Krampus…or similar?’ is closed to new replies.