Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 29+ mukluk
  • freddiest

I fancy trying a set of 29+ wheels on my mukluk for a bit more speed when I’m not either on the beach or for when riding with a faster group. Don’t really know what to go for. Could anyone recommend a wheelset that doesn’t cost the earth and would work with fatbike spacing? I’ve had a look about and it looks like it might be a costly experiment. Would this be a good idea or is it too much of a compromise over a dedicated bike? I could always buy some JJ’s for the summer as a cheaper alternative.

epicyclo

Fit a fat slick instead. No need for a new wheelset, and heaps more fun.

https://www.veetireco.co.uk/product-page/apache-fatty-slick

I fitted Black Floyds to my 907 a few years back and I was surprised at how much faster the bike felt, yet the low pressures allowed the tyre to conform to the surfaces so I didn’t miss having lugs on it. It was even reasonably capable on mud with care.

I preferred it to my 29er, and I even did a road trip of 90 miles on it.

tomhoward

I don’t think anyone makes an off the shelf fat hubbed wheel without fat rims.

I just got some hope fatsno hubs built on to regular rims (29mm internal) and run 2.4 tyres (On a carbon mukluk, as it happens), no reason you couldn’t do that with plus sized ones.

keefmac

I have a set of 29+ wheels for my mukluk 2012. easton 40 rims on hope hubs. this bike has a 170mm rear and with a 29×3.0 chapacabra it will rub the frame, with a fat b nimble of the same size it has just enough clearance. i got my wheelset from someone on here as i couldnt find a set for my mukluk that would fit and didnt cost the earth. i think i paid just under £300.

as a smaller wheelset they still work fine on beaches but are less draggy on roads, use mine for general pootling. fat wheels go back on for offroad only and winter stuff

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

I’d say try some jumbo jims first. They roll incredibly fast for a 4 inch tyres, noticeably better than other fat bike tyres. I have a pair on tubeless and I also have a 29×3.0 chupacabra on the stache and there isn’t that much between them.

John

Andy

29+ fits fine on a Mukluk with Alternator rear drop outs (2013 onwards). Rides really well too.

Edit: Keefmac you bought those wheels off me

freddiest

Lots of options thrown up there then. From wheels to slicks (didn’t see that coming)! Doesn’t really make things any clearer but I could price up various options and maybe keep a look out for a used wheelset if I’m not in a hurry.

It’s a 2017 with alternator dropouts so should fit most setups. Bluto on the front tho if that makes a difference.

epicyclo

johnnyboy666

I’d say try some jumbo jims first. They roll incredibly fast for a 4 inch tyres, noticeably better than other fat bike tyres…

Now imagine something with the same thread count and suppleness as the JJs, but with no lugs to slow you down…

It’s why there is not a 29er+ bike amongst my collection. They’re redundant. 🙂

(Obviously I am biased, but that’s from experience, and I’m setting my 907 up for summer again with 4″ slicks)

keefmac

Bit of thread resurrection – OP theres a set of 29 wheels for fat bike on ebay now, ending today. you’d need to check hubs are compatible

linky

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/On-One-Fat-Not-Fat-29er-Mountain-Bike-Wheels/264320175956?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

tomhoward

Those are 135/170mm, mukluks are 150/197mm.

scaredypants

Mukluks aren’t (all) 150/197 – at least they weren’t a few years ago

freddiest

Thanks but mine is 150/197.
    I’ve gone with some JJ 4.8”. Only 2 rides on them so far but I’m happy with them for now.

firestarter
    Free Member

There are a pair of on one fat not fat wheels on Ebay at the min that might work 135/170 iirc. Not mine btw I just saw them yesterday

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘29+ mukluk’ is closed to new replies.