• This topic has 125 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by ton.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 126 total)
  • 29+ Jones
  • Paceman
    Free Member

That video is great Normal Man, love the look of those techy woodland trails, and both Jones bikes look really balanced and very at home on that terrain. If I had space for a N+1 😕

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

More details: http://blog.jonesbikes.com/jones-plus-this-is-it/

76mm offset fork, 67.5 deg head angle

Masses of mud clearance with a 3″ tyre

Looks long!!

Gotama
    Free Member

Now I love my spaceframe and fat front for a number of reasons, I’ve even grown fond of the slightly wacky look……..but holy bejesus the pic with the supermotos on looks awful! Those stays look really long as well. Presumably a bike for long days out exploring in the mountains that is really stable on fast fire road style descents rather than the playful nature of the original.

birdage

Only just seen this thread again. Feel I need to point out that my ‘compromised’ comment before was very firmly tongue in cheek!?! I’m the only thing ‘compromised’ on my Jones. And Tim you’ll be pleased to hear I’ve got the original rear matching wheel now with Pauls hub and 18 tooth WI!

NormalMan

Another vid for you (Bikepacking content)

jameso

76mm offset fork, 67.5 deg head angle

..brilliantly crazy numbers.

Like the look of the new bike a lot, a good option to have. Possibly a bit ‘big’ for what I do with my steel Jones but interested enough for a test ride.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Jeff has moved the goalposts – again!

It’ll be way too big for me – grrrrr 🙁

jupiter
    Free Member

I wonder if there will be a new version of the steel diamond frame jones?
    Would the 67.5 head angle + 76mm offset fork work on the standard 29er?
    john_l. I would love to see a picture of your bike as we are a similar height, short cranks, stem length/rise, layback post?

brant
    Free Member

I love fork rake being 76mm, not 75mm 🙂

There’s a slow speed downhill bar-turn shot which showed how light the steering touch seems to be.

No sign of a chainstay length dimension?

jupiter
    Free Member

The chainstay length looks very long, but with this obsession with the shortest stays, does it really matter?

brant
    Free Member

The chainstay length looks very long, but with this obsession with the shortest stays, does it really matter?

Chainstay length produces a handling style when mixed with other things. You are quite correct – shortest isn’t always best.

DrP

I did not design this bike based on market research, a reaction to what other people were making, or because people were suggesting I make ‘this’ bike or ‘that’ bike – their idea of what I should do next. I made this bicycle because I wanted it and I think many others will love it too.

🙂

“I didn’t stop because the light was red. I stopped because I wanted to stop…”

DrP

john_l
    Free Member

john_l. I would love to see a picture of your bike as we are a similar height, short cranks, stem length/rise, layback post?

Don’t have a pic to hand but 80mm10deg stem, layback post, 175mm cranks, H bars….

flashes
    Free Member

I’m 5’7″, 30″ in side leg. I couldn’t get on with mine. I couldn’t get the bars low enough with the height of the truss forks, so long gone. It’s a fab ride but it wasn’t for me. Back to a Karate Monkey, sorted….

Paceman
    Free Member

brant – Member
    Chainstay length produces a handling style when mixed with other things. You are quite correct – shortest isn’t always best.

I agree, short chainstays in the early days to get that 26er feel and make the transition to big wheels smoother; but surely we’ve moved on from that and are now designing 29er geometry that gives the best ride characteristics for 29″ wheels, rather than making them feel like a 26er.

29+ is a whole other mixture of factors to consider anyway. Chainstay length and wheelbase is going to be relatively long whether you like it or not due to the huge wheel size with the 3″ tyres on, and this is not necessarily a bad thing in my experience riding a Krampus.

jupiter
    Free Member

More news on Dirt Rag, 19″ stays!

jameso

19″, no messing about. Scary for some. Measure bar to rear axle i/o chainstay, or axle to top of HT as ‘handling reach and stack’ and that 19″ might not matter as much.

brant
    Free Member

I got 400mm “reach” dimension on Bikecad.
    Also didn’t get 71deg seat angle. Not in true sense.
    Top of seat tube is at that angle but it’s offset forward.

Gotama
    Free Member

Interestingly/annoyingly it seems the front axle is 142 x 15 according to Jeff’s fb. Appreciate that compromise isn’t really in Jeff’s vocab but it seems bizarre to go with a new axle standard, especially given that current owners won’t be able to move existing front wheels across.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Yes – I spotted that hub size and thought – you’re kidding! I presume the Hope Fatsnow hubs have end caps that covers this, but that’s only 1 of my wheels.

jameso

Reach is a bit longer than the std bike then.

Gotama
    Free Member

So for those with an understanding of how the geometry all comes together… if the front end is higher through a longer fork and headtube will that, to some extent, negate the effect of the longer chainstay with respect to how easy it is to lift the front?

Quite excited to have a ride on this. Be interesting to see how it compares to the spaceframe.

jameso

I’d ask Jeff for the only correct answer there.. I use my feet in part to hop / keep the front up but I don’t pull up with the pedals. It all comes from the bars and a weight shift. That shift does involve weight through the feet, but where my feet are in relation to the rear wheel seems less important unless I’m trying to hold a balance point. And my manuals are pretty lame on a good day.

Compared to my Jones, my current most-ridden bike has a similar frame reach but a 15-20mm shorter stay and a higher BB which would suggest a bike that’s easier to pop the front up if we were talking MTBs, but it’s a CX bike and even set up with a more MTB-like saddle to bar drop it’s still longer to the grip area and much harder to hop than the Jones.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

From the Facebook page:

Biff Bacon Jeff replied elsewhere — “142×15 is based on the 135mm front standard (Paul Whub and Jones 135-F). It has front disk brake spacing that allows for wider flange spacing. The flange spacing is the same as before, very wide. This *new* Jones hub can be converted from 142×15 through axle to 135mm x 9mm QR type axle by changing the end caps. This hub can fit in this new Jones Plus fork and in a Jones 29 fork with 9mm QR dropouts by just changing the end caps. It looks like Hope, Borealis, Salsa and others make hubs with this 142×15 front standard, but I have not tested the fit and compatibility with them all. Older Jones 135mm hubs are not designed to be converted to 15mm thru-axle — a new hub will be required.” As for Stanmer — I need a test bike. Once I have one I can see about getting people riding.

Not sure I fully understand this.

If the flange spacing is the same as before, why is is it wider overall? .?!

jameso

^ 142mm is only wider than 135mm as the ends sit recessed into the dropouts 3.5mm each side, rather than up against the dropouts.

gil_

…my big worry it is rides like a Krampus

When I first got my Krampus I loved it, so stable, comfortable and great fun, big tire footprint gave it confidence, but then I went back to my Steel Diamond and realised I had most of this plus could chuck it around so much more easily

I stopped riding the Krampus and sold it shortly afterwards

When I got the Diamond I could so much convincing on the 23″ top tube, I’m 6’4″ with a 35″ inseam, but the proof was in the pudding, rode it, loved it never looked back

This is all without riding the Plus but I fear it might have lost it “chuckable” factor with that longer wheelbase, it will be super stable but maybe not the fun of the shorter wheelbase

I run a Knard in the front of the truss and P35 rims, Carbon front and alloy rear, have tried a Rabbit hole in the front but didn’t seem to make a huge difference over the 35mm rim

Is the longer wheelbase aimed more stable “off-road” tourer, I have watched the footage of Jeff chucking it round corners but I also know what a skilled rider Jeff is….

shaggy

I hadn’t looked back at this thread as I was expecting it to have become another slagging off. Nice that it’s sensible discussion.

I love fork rake being 76mm, not 75mm

I assumed he works in imperial in his head (or jig).

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Gotama – Member

Interestingly/annoyingly it seems the front axle is 142 x 15 according to Jeff’s fb. Appreciate that compromise isn’t really in Jeff’s vocab but it seems bizarre to go with a new axle standard, especially given that current owners won’t be able to move existing front wheels across.

I guess if you/we can afford a Jones then you/we can afford a 3rd wheel for the bike and swap over when needed.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Coming in 90 days !

Interbike: Jeff Jones Plus – 29er and then some

A few more details. Custom drawn tubing, new headsets and hub.

No info on pricing, shouldn’t be much more that a diamond with a truss?

mpw
    Free Member

I like the Jones headset at the bottom of that interview. Don’t like the two top haves i’m using at the moment. Dedicated Jones headset designed for a truss, nice.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

We’ll I’ve had the original cane creek headset in mine for 5 years now, no problems.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

futon river crossing – Member

We’ll I’ve had the original cane creek headset in mine for 5 years now, no problems.

Same here

timbur
    Free Member

Gotama
    Free Member

Yours? How’s it ride?

That frame somehow manages to make a 29+ tyre look small!

john_l
    Free Member

looks mahoosive! 😀

timbur
    Free Member

She’s BIG! I’ll post anther pic in a min showing the difference between my Diamond/Space and the 29+ front ends. (ignore the garden though)

This is the demo bike about to go on tour of the Jones dealers in the UK.

I “might” get a ride before it leaves the shed :O)

brant
    Free Member

Ah – timbur – I guessed wrong. I thought you had a Bird in your shed 🙂

timbur
    Free Member

wwaswas

can we talk about your ‘lawn’?

timbur
    Free Member

Matthew Bird had just left my shed. He rides a Jones :O)

Plenty of sparrows fly in and need a hand leaving.

No Bird bike though.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 126 total)

The topic ‘29+ Jones’ is closed to new replies.