Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • 29+ frames?
  • guitarhero
    Free Member

Still looking to get a 29+ frame/fork. I have all the components which is good but also limits me slightly and rules out anything with boost wheel spacing.

As I see it I’m left with:

Singular Rooster – I’m between M and L. Medium I think is a bit short, Large, too tall.

Surly Krampus – Is this getting a bit long in the tooth? Heavy?

2016 Vassago Jabberwocky – Geometry seems spot on (long and low) but quite spendy £750 frame and fork

Stooge Mk3 – Heard rumours of 29+ compatability, but don’t know if this is true, and how long away is it

Anything else I could consider?

eddie11
    Free Member

Singular rooster isn’t in production anymore so you’d be looking for a secondhand. that said the rooster sizing is deceiving as you can move the stack and reach a fair bit by playing with the eccentric bottom bracket. The front is high because of the fork but it drops a fair way for stand over.

other options: Niner had something for a while non boost. wont be cheap though. Taiwanese/shand/on-one elevated chanistay carbon thing is not boost i dont think neither is the trek stache.

ton

jones 29+ in true stw style,

fin25
    Free Member

New krampus coming out soon, a few modifications, looks a bit more trail-oriented, plus you get Surly’s new, covers all standards rear dropout spacing.

guitarhero
    Free Member

My budget is limited and if I could afford it I’d probably just go for the Vassago which rules out Jones 29+ although I’d like one

New Krampus sounds interesting though

Duc
    Free Member

Carver Gnarvester. Uses standard 135/142 but offset chainring. Available in aluminium if you’re normal sized and ti if you’re me (or ton)

Duc
    Free Member

2017 Fargo is also 29+ but I think boost along with the woodsmoke.

km79
    Free Member

I’d wait for the new Krampus. I really wish Stanton did a 29+ Sherpa though.

Duc
    Free Member

Currently owning a rooster I can tell you that in the lowest gear the chain is within 3mm of the tyre using a chronicle on a Hugo. For that reason alone I think boost rear is probably the only sensible answer. That said the carver solution could make for a reasonable answer.

happybiker
    Free Member

Duc: Is that with 1x or 2x?

I’m having similar thoughts, tried 29+ on the front (Stooge) and now want the ability to run it on the rear too. Thinking of the Vassago (seems a bit pricey), new Krampus (March release date apparantly), or the Rooster (if I could find one)…

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Travers 29er+ (mines the Angus SS/Rohloff model) with rigid or Lauf Carbonara’s

Duc
    Free Member

I’m running 1x – without it being a fat bike and even with boost I can see no way to run 2x on 29+

To be fair though you need to keep the wheel spinning reasonably quickly (because of the weight) or drag your sorry arse out of the saddle and get up the hill so I also can’t see the point of the lowere gears you’d get from 2X

hummerlicious
    Free Member

Another +1 for the Travers

The awesomeness that is my @traversbikes Russ Ti by Jim Barrow, on Flickr

dovebiker

Without Boost you’ll get tyre/chainrub on 2x drivetrain in lowest gears, which really spoils the ‘fun’ of having awesome grip – 1x and 135mm hubs work OK. I have a custom ti frame from the same Chinese factory that Travers / Carver uses.

happybiker
    Free Member

How do Surly and Singular avoid boost then?

km79
    Free Member

Surly have their own 2x O.D. crankset which is offset to avoid chainrub. This can be used on their Krampus.

Duc
    Free Member

Boost wasn’t around when Sam designed the Rooster so he’s done the best he can with a 135 hub. It’s damn close with a hugo and a chronicle combination.
    I still stand by my comment about 2x earlier. I can’t see why you’d do it on 29+ it’d feel like you’re constantly fighting to accelerate the wheel at that speed. Maybe I don’t ride fast enough, far enough, loaded enough to understand.

mos

Did I here you say Travers?
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/MEyJCu]RusTi[/url] by marcusandcath, on Flickr

tuboflard

You can run 29+ in a Puffin frame too apparently;

http://coastkid.blogspot.co.uk/2016/07/midweek-cycle-singular-puffin-on-test.html?m=1

I’m really happy with my Rooster though would have considered one of these as an alternative had I not backed them on Kickstarter.

papercutout
    Free Member

Just because no one has mentioned it (and probably no one will, not being massive fans here); the On One Rango is basically a copy of the Trek Stache, but there’s no mention of whether it is boost or not.

tuboflard

Quick shot of the Rooster out on the quick evening spin, bit dark sorry…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/MAwAei]IMG_1118[/url] by bigtuboflard, on Flickr

eddie11
    Free Member

Just because no one has mentioned it (and probably no one will, not being massive fans here); the On One Rango is basically a copy of the Trek Stache, but there’s no mention of whether it is boost or not.

^ 2nd post I’ll think you’ll find! 😉

traversbikes
    Free Member

Its nice to see lots of my Travers 29+ builds on this post. It would be rude not to add another!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/rXwBaB]rudy-fat-29-plus[/url] by Michael Travers, on Flickr

guitarhero
    Free Member

I plan on running single speed or at most 1X so the boost rear offers no benefit, and would need a new wheel.
    The new Krampus looks ideal but Surly has form so could be some time away.
    The Vassago looks really nice, but the 70 degree head angle is a degree steeper than I would like
    £700 max budget rules out Jones, Travers, Niner
    Bugger. Rare to have money burning a hole in my Paypal and nothing to spend it on

Duc
    Free Member

Aluminium Gnarvester is porbably the only option then sub £700

guitarhero
    Free Member

Think I might hold off for the new Krampus having seen this

brianp
    Free Member

I have a brand new unused Rooster in medium yellow. I have recently been diagnosed with a brain tumour so have my hands full with coping with the after effects of surgery, chemo and radio treatment.

Perhaps PM me if interested. Not thought of price,

Brian

Simpsan
    Free Member

Vassago Verhauen 29 plus, awesome bike, 142 rear spacing with swap out style sliders

dovebiker

This is my 29+ I had built in 2013 – Chinese custom titanium cost me less than a Krampus frame and a darn site lighter:

eddie11
    Free Member

We’ve become Facebook content

llama

I’ve just got hold of a large rooster (thanks Richard). It’s sitting in the garage pending a maiden ride tomorrow, so use that to qualify my opinion, but I would not say it was tall. Not compared to my large horsethief anyway, a fair bit lower in fact, allowing for sag. Don’t forget the ebb gives you some extra mm if you set it at 180 degree.

jonestown
    Free Member

There will be a 29+ frameset coming from Stooge in the spring, working name Dirt Tracker, it’s a completely new design with bi-plane forks and promises to be ‘rad’. Drawings are done, production starts very shortly.

Paceman
    Free Member

1×10 drivetrain works perfectly on my Krampus, here it is racing at Bristol Oktoberfest last year. I’ve since fitted some carbon forks which have made it even more fun to ride…

Paceman
    Free Member

Get one in Moonlit Swamp Green whilst you still can…

guitarhero
    Free Member

There will be a 29+ frameset coming from Stooge in the spring, working name Dirt Tracker, it’s a completely new design with bi-plane forks and promises to be ‘rad’. Drawings are done, production starts very shortly.

I think this is appropriate here

danj

Anyone looking for a budget 29+ bike: I’m selling my 2015 29+ Genesis Longitude. Advert ends.

km79
    Free Member

Paceman – what carbon forks do you have?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Still love my Krampus.

But the idea of carbon forks does appeal..

A hell of a lot.

Paceman
    Free Member

KM79, I have a pair of On-One Carbon Monocoque Forks on my Krampus. Clearance is quite tight but ok with the stock 3″ Surly Knard tyre, but they work very well with the slightly narrower Surly Dirt Wizard I currently have on a 50mm Rabbit Hole rim, and a Bontrager Chupacabra fits well too (both much better all-round 29+ tyres than the original Surly Knard in my experience).

These ones:

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FOOOSCF4709/on-one-monocoque-straight-steerer-carbon-fork

Here you go…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Anyone wanting more chain clearance, square taper allows wider chain line with longer bb axle.

Its how I ran 2 x on my B+, until I tried a HT2 with more spacers on the DS

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘29+ frames?’ is closed to new replies.