Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • 29″ fast rolling 2.3″ tyre?
  • nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

I’m looking for a fairly wide fast rolling 29″ tyre – 2.3″ – 2.5″ would work.  Does anyone have any ideas?  Ability to get through rock gardens without self-destructing would be essential too.

Thanks in advance

Northwind

One of the semi-slicks? I use the Minion but it’s a little narrow, the rock razor might suit you better and comes in various sidewalls.

Poopscoop

I use a Minion SS. Go much wider you’ll likely increase drag anyway.

BearBack
    Free Member

Fast rolling raceabale and trailable tyres?
    2.4 Mountain King 2 out front
    2.4 X-King out back
    Protection casing.

dreednya

2.4 Ardent blows up really big on my 35mm wide rims and is fast rolling

cookeaa

Specialized Slaughter?

submarined
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2.3 Slaughter in 650b and really rate it. Grid sidewall survived the Ard Rock with no issues. My mate’s minion SS was the same, it’s just the Slaughter was so much cheaper!

Works really well in pretty much all conditions except deep slop and wet grass. Surprisingly good in summer mud as well!

weeksy

Maxxis Aspen

submarined
    Free Member

Just remembered: one of the other reasons I went with a slaughter is that the Minion SS comes up very square on wider rims (30mm ID in my case). Don’t know if there’s now a WT version that sorts this though?

thorpie
    Free Member

Conti X-King Protection in the 2.4 variety. Fast rolling and even pretty fast on tarmac! Relatively cheap as well.

chakaping
    Free Member

Half price SG Rock razor at CRC, great tyre, rock gardens will quiver at the sight of it…

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/schwalbe-rock-razor-evo-mtb-tyre-super-gravity/rp-prod118257

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

Superb, thank you.  Rock razor it is for now, I’ll be looking back at others if it doesn’t live up.

Northwind

“Conti X-King Protection in the 2.4 variety. Fast rolling and even pretty fast on tarmac!”

But actually a 2.2

Poopscoop

I was torn between the rock razor and the SS. I went SS on the end.

I reckon both are great tyres mate in truth. 👍

thorpie
    Free Member

“Conti X-King Protection in the 2.4 variety. Fast rolling and even pretty fast on tarmac!”

‘But actually a 2.2’

True, more like a 2.2. Not sure what that makes the 2.2 version?!?

BearBack
    Free Member

29 x 25mm internal: 2.3 carcass, 2.2 tread for both 2.4 MK and XK tyres

The 2.2’s are not a tyre I see any use for as you cant run low pressures like in the 2.4 versions.
    even the 2.2 TK/RQ I think is an unnecessary size with the 2.4mk/XK being a great alternative.

Neither 2.2 MK or XK are a high volume tyre. More of an old school XC race tyre size liek my first panaracers 😉
    The 27.5 TK fits into a 26″ fork, the 2.4 TK does not, so there’s a significant volume difference (carcass height) between 2.2 and 2.4.

Incidentally, for 2018 the 2.2 MK is discontinued and the new MK is 2.3. The refreshed CrossK goes to 2.3 and 2.2, I suppose to address their sizing mismatch.

I’d be surprised if a SG rock razor rolls faster than a XK and the XK will last much longer too! We have guests wearing out SG rock razors in a week here. Speedgrip supposedly gives much better rolling/wear.

Were you looking for rear only or running these Rock Razors as a fr/rr pair?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Surprisingly good in summer mud as well!

Mmm, summer mud.  Its always this time of year when the thought of summer feels like a half-remembered crazy dream that is just out of reach.

qwerty
    Free Member

WTB Trail Boss 2.4″ tough – it’s a tad heavy though.

Specialized Ground Control 2.3″ Grid is what i’m using.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Bontrager XR2 2.35 Tlr

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Above posts, Continental Mountain King II Protection: yes – they roll fast and they are sturdy.

But had problems with too little grip. Use the Continental only on the back wheel right now. Front 29 x 2.35 Schwalbe Hans Dampf Super Gravity.

For my 29 inch bike: combination I’am right now really happy with.

sharkattack

The Slaughter Grid is a mint tyre. I ended up leaving mine on last year long after the weather changed. It’s fast while being more useful than it looks.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘29″ fast rolling 2.3″ tyre?’ is closed to new replies.