29+ bouncy fork options?

Home Forum Bike Forum 29+ bouncy fork options?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 29+ bouncy fork options?
  • LoCo
    rosscopeco

Bluto….good call. From what I understand they seem to work on the principle of…keep it simple…less to go wrong…less maintenance required.

LoCo

Decent rebound (rapid recovery) and basic RL compression damper (reckon you can swap it for an RCT3 if wanted)
    Not ridden a set but at 32mm stantions and the amount of grip a fat tyre can generate they may possibly be a bit flexy.
    Charliemonger should be able to confirm whether this is correct

rosscopeco

….continuing my 29+ theme and thoughts…

What bouncy fork options are out there for 29+?

I’ve seen some ghetto Reba Dremel jobs but cutting a bit away scares me somewhat 😯

A google search doesn’t provide much…. 🙁 (or maybe my googling skills suck… 😀 )

rosscopeco

I suppose the only down fall of the bluto is it would necessitate a completely new wheel build to accommodate the wider hub. My current P35s will fit a 3″ tyre now.

Any other forks out there that can take a 3″ tyre?

Premier Icon faustus
    Subscriber

This man uses 29+ with FOX forks, only just fits…do a ctrl F for ‘fox’ and you’ll find the picture/words you need.

http://gypsybytrade.wordpress.com/

Premier Icon BigDummy
    Subscriber

There is a Facebook group called “I love my Surly Krampus 29+” which is predictably obsessed with this question.

🙂

Gotama

And a mega thread on mtbr in the 29er section.

rosscopeco

Cheers faustus…nice blog too!

Premier Icon faustus
    Subscriber

Yeah it is good, up there with ‘while out riding’…

Premier Icon Shackleton
    Subscriber

Apparently the MRP Stage will take one. Looking at the clearance around my 2.2 Rubber queen in one I’m tempted to agree.

ajantom

Rockshox and Fox seem to ‘just’ fit going by pics on MTBR. I’d worry about what would happen if the wheel got knocked out of true. Some people have dremmeled their forks to give more clearance 😕 Not something I’d trust myself.

Charlie the Bikemonger has some Blutos fitted, there does seem to be an interference issue with the fork crown and the down tube, but unless you have a lot of crashes that shouldn’t be an issue.

If you can find a set of Maverick DUC32s they’ll fit with a bit of judicious fettling. I picked up a set including a wheel for £150 on ebay. A couple of hours in the workshop making the bits I needed. Luckily my existing front wheel has a Hope Pro II hub, for which you can buy a Maverick axle adaptor.

Here’s the thread I started about what I did to make them fit: Kramp’sus thread
    The headtube is a bit short on the Krampus, so I needed to make a slightly longer steerer nut for them. I also made some longer travel reducers to eliminate any possibility of the tyre hitting the crown.

Premier Icon ratherbeintobago
    Subscriber

Bluto….good call. From what I understand they seem to work on the principle of…keep it simple…less to go wrong…less maintenance required.

TBH, I think they work on the principle of being a Reba with a wide crown (they even share a manual).

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘29+ bouncy fork options?’ is closed to new replies.