Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 28c tyres on a Hope XC 29er rim?
  • teadrinker
    Free Member

That will be ok won’t it?

Looking a building a new bike (Niner RLT) and I have a Hope xc 29er wheelset I want to use. Some days I’ll want to use it as a full on road bike so could I run 28c tyres on the Hope XC rims? The wheels are only a few week old if that makes any difference?

Thanks

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Saw a Tripster being built up with that sort of thing in the LBS the other day. Looked gooooood!

When you say “full on road bike”, you’re not going to be racing, get with the big tyre revolution! 30 and even more is where it’s at!

teadrinker
    Free Member

racing, oh no. the only thing I’ll consider speeding up for is a tea and cake stop! More gently road only rides in the summer, especially if I’m up in the Eden valley.

How are you getting on with the Diverge? I was considering the green on at £2.5k but that’s a little over my budget. How capable do you find it Flash?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’m rather fond of it. 🙂
    Fast and light as a road bike.
    Better braking and handling, thanks to discs and bolt through.
    Takes full length mudguards.
    Takes fatter tyres (Currently on Challenge Strada Biancas).
    Can take on a lot of the “linking” bridleways and farm tracks around here really well. Not a proper off road bike, but very capable.

Pondering some carbon bar pimping in time for summer.

For what you’re thinking, some nice 30s would be ideal, I’d say.

grey

I’ve got a spare set of 29er Hope XC’s and I’m going to use them on my cross bike. Should make a nice wheelset 🙂 .
    Just not sure what tyres to use.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I’d say go a bit bigger than 28mm.

I tried 28mm Conti 4 seasons on my A119 rims and suffered a number of pinch punctures which I didn’t get on 35mm Schwalbe Marathons.

I was fully laden and riding on linking type bridleways.

stuc
    Free Member

I have a pair of hope tech xc wheels with vittoria open pave 25c to slot into my Escapade for road work and they’re fine.

teadrinker
    Free Member

Cheers guys, that’s the wheels sorted then, Now just need to decide on the frame.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘28c tyres on a Hope XC 29er rim?’ is closed to new replies.