Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • 27.5 plus " shocking grip on pavement"
  • plus-one

On my 400yds to my local shop this morning for my 20 lambert and butler(menthol) as I’m an athlete and my monthly copy of juggs(keeps upper body strong)

Pavement was mildly damp I was all over the place !! Dropped my iPad and missed the end of “Shaving Ryan’s privates” Bloody cracked screen too 🙁

How can I improve grip ?

orangespyderman

You can’t; nothing grips on mildly damp pavement. Your best bet is to find a route that avoids any such surface.

EDIT – either that or, of course, MTFU and learn to drift it there.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I once slapped the deck* on some wet algae-fied paving slabs on the way to the swimming pool. Panaracer Mud tyres. Algae is obviously too shallow to be considered ‘mud’. I hate physics.

*It was impossibly instantaneous. From upright to flat on the floor and shouting in 0.001 secs. Left a down-tube-shaped dent in my shin for hours. It later became a black and purple hillock. Started me off smoking again if I recall correctly. Bystanders just watched. Bastards didn’t even offer me a hand-up or a stiff brandy.

thetallman
    Free Member

19mm tubulars are your only hope in conditions that extreme.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

19mm tubulars are your only hope in conditions that extreme.

I’ve had issues with 19mm clinchers on my old racer, made the mistake of riding down the concrete in the middle of the tramway in sheffield. Hit the deck near instantly like M_R, but then continued to slide down the hill on my arse.

I’ve since concluded that pro-roadies must be some sort of demi-god’s to actually ride down mountains in the rain.

philjunior
    Free Member

Were the tyres new? They can be a bit less grippy, particularly noticeable on that sort of surface.

They put up some smaller features next to the main skate park bowl near me, I decided to give it a try on my way home from a wet ride (when it was deserted). I’d been wondering why it was always empty and even young kids would use the larger bowl when I walked past. Turns out it has grip levels something like ice in the wet (luckily I tested the water with a skid before trying anything that would’ve left me swearing on the floor).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘27.5 plus " shocking grip on pavement"’ is closed to new replies.